ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Power consuption of JBL PRX 715XLF and PRX712  (Read 4381 times)

Jovance Todorov

Power consuption of JBL PRX 715XLF and PRX712
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:49:39 PM »

Hello,
In the specification of active subwoofer JBL PRX715XLF and active top PRX712 I can't find information about power consumption. In AC POWER INPUT I can read only this information 100V -240V ~ 50/60Hz.
Also in the back of the speaker power input there isn't information about power consuption (W).
I need this information because I want to buy UPS device and I want to calculate total power consuption of all devices.

Thank you

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Power consuption of JBL PRX 715XLF and PRX712
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »

Usually like 1/8th of rated power so somewhere around 200W. However you generally wouldn't put the loudspeakers on UPS, only the console and related processors.

Keep in mind most UPS specs are for a matter of minutes simply to allow safe shutdown, if you truly want the system to be on battery backup you should be measuring kW/h or something like that, that some smart person will comment on in a bit and speccing that instead.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:17:46 PM »

If you're thinking you can use a UPS as a battery supply for something like a wedding ceremony, you are on the wrong track. Even a sizable UPS can only supply the needed power for only a few minutes. Most powered speakers set between 200 - 600 watts of power draw. This works out to between 2-4 amp-hours per speaker. So if your UPS is rated for 1500 watts of current draw. It will supply the power you need, but most at that level can only run 100 watts of power for about 1hr or so. You are asking the thing to do several hundred watts. This means @ 200 watts of draw your run time with the battery is roughly 30min. Double the number of speakers and you only get 15 min. Add anything else like a mixer or a third speaker and you get literally a few minutes of run time. Or put another way, if you were to actually draw all 1,500 watts the UPC could provide, you would only get 1min. of run time.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:29:48 PM »

PM me if you’d like some tips on how to buy a UPS - not how to “size” but how to “buy”.

Jovance Todorov

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »

Usually like 1/8th of rated power so somewhere around 200W. However you generally wouldn't put the loudspeakers on UPS, only the console and related processors.

Keep in mind most UPS specs are for a matter of minutes simply to allow safe shutdown, if you truly want the system to be on battery backup you should be measuring kW/h or something like that, that some smart person will comment on in a bit and speccing that instead.

Thank you for your answer.
I want to buy UPS only to have 1-2 minutes for safety shutdown, for this particular devices:
- 2 subs JBL PRX 715XLF (power consumption 1500/8=187Wx2=375W
- 2 tops JBL PRX 712 (power consumption 1500/8=187W x2=375W
- YAMAHA TYROS 5 (power consuption 35W)
- mixer DYNACORD POWERMATE 1000-3 (power consumpion 450W)
- 2 monitors without power consumption

TOTAL POWER CONSUMPION 1235W

In the neares store I found this type of UPS/AVR device
https://www.socomec.com/range-ups-single-phase_en.html?product=/ups-netys-pr-rt_en.html&view=technical#technical

Please tell me your suggestions.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 07:25:04 AM »

I wouldn't put the loudspeakers on the UPS. There is no reason. If they turn off then just just turn off. There won't be any issue with them.

Put the mixer and the keyboard(?) on the UPS.

There are so many questions I have. Are you using that dynacord mixer with those speakers? You really need to give us some information on this setup since there are some major red flags going up in my mind.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:14:39 AM »

The speakers do not need to be on a UPS for 'protection.'  They are simple devices and will not be damaged by external loss of power.  There is no special sequence going on inside them, etc.  Protect the devices that have either long re-boot times or that would lose memory or presets if randomly powered off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »

As has been recommended - only put your front-end processing gear and maybe wireless mic receivers on UPS.  To size a UPS for power amps would be a waste of money.  Also hauling the behemoth around wouldn’t be fun.  For my home music systems I use a 3000W UPS and it’s not something I would entertain hauling around. White 4x 18AH batteries it weighs 80+ pounds without a road case.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »

the only reason that I can think of for a UPS on speaker amps, is if that system is required for emergency messaging.
Speedskater

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »

the only reason that I can think of for a UPS on speaker amps, is if that system is required for emergency messaging.
In that case, 2 minutes ain't gonna cut it.
Generator anyone?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.