ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Redundant Ableton Live & Dante Virtual Soundcard Setup  (Read 288 times)

Adam Mead

Re: Redundant Ableton Live & Dante Virtual Soundcard Setup
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 10:43:34 am »

Makes sense

1. Is managing the Ableton session in addition to FOH duties something you have the focus for? Keep in mind I am presuming if the main computer went down you would be firing click, and managing repeating sections (greetings, host spots etc). I believe there is some sense in having the same person manage both computers (be they on or off stage).

2. Switching speed. From my perspective close to 20 channels of tracks means that is an essential component of your service, I would also guess it is potentially controlling lighting or perhaps video world via SMPTE? So in addition to no audio gap, I think there should be criteria that can switch it automatically. While yes you could potentially come up with some sort of user define key, that would still rely on your response time, which on the quick end is probably 3-6 seconds. This is presuming you are on your toes and don't need to wait to hear from the band to confirm what is wrong. Computers crash, sometimes at inopportune times.

I have not used Dante a lot, however, I would also guess there is a way to automatically switch things over. However, I think replicating something like the Radial SD8 digitally would be a must for you and your situation

Curious to hear about what you figure out, I always love learning about new solutions to problems such as this.

1. Managing Ableton from on stage is done by the keyboard player
 managing Ableton from FOH is done by production assistant
Managing the track computer(s) any other day but Sunday is my job.

2.At this point anything is better/ faster than a 4,000 dollar switcher or waiting 30 seconds to switch a Dante preset.

So upon trying to make a patch switch on the QL5, another issue has risen. The 20 track channels don't show what is being routed to them, only ???-??? in the patch window. recalling patch presets doesn't actually change these channel's patches. I tried to make a patch preset with channels that showed what was being routed, and the preset recalling worked. So does anyone know how to get the console to recognize the sources from the Ableton computers? I've tried renaming the sources from Dante Controller to see if the QL5 would recognize it then, but no dice.

Adam Mead

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 10:46:00 am »

1. Managing Ableton from on stage is done by the keyboard player
 managing Ableton from FOH is done by production assistant
Managing the track computer(s) any other day but Sunday is my job.

2.At this point anything is better/ faster than a 4,000 dollar switcher or waiting 30 seconds to switch a Dante preset.

So upon trying to make a patch switch on the QL5, another issue has risen. The 20 track channels don't show what is being routed to them, only ???-??? in the patch window. recalling patch presets doesn't actually change these channel's patches. I tried to make a patch preset with channels that showed what was being routed, and the preset recalling worked. So does anyone know how to get the console to recognize the sources from the Ableton computers? I've tried renaming the sources from Dante Controller to see if the QL5 would recognize it then, but no dice.

the emoji is supposed to be 3 question marks, a dash and then 3 question marks. that's what the patch screen shows

Adam Mead

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 12:24:18 pm »

update, the reason it showed question marks is because the device was unmounted in the console. but bigger issue is there's no way to set up to make this change through scenes/user defined keys.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 12:38:24 pm »

Curious to hear about what you figure out, I always love learning about new solutions to problems such as this.

The older Yamaha consoles supported patch libraries, which would make it real easy, just create 2 patch librararies and select which one you want with a UDK. I think that method is not supported anymore, so you have to have 2 scenes that have a focus to ONLY recall input patch for those channels, and take input patch out of the focus for all show scenes. You select which machine is running with the patch recall scenes and the show with the regular scenes.

Mac

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 04:57:29 am »

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=151647.0

That discusses changing between two patch libraries on CL and QL consoles so it can be done. Now the question is whether it happens seamlessly.

I believe for the OPs use case some time between changeover isn't a big problem. If he needed complete redundancy then he would need to likely switch to the analogue solution posted above and reduce his channel count from the Ableton rig, or spend a lot of money on DA converters.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 04:57:29 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 24 queries.