ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Wireless: AKG DMS300 vs AT System 10 PRO  (Read 3306 times)

Rob Bond

Digital Wireless: AKG DMS300 vs AT System 10 PRO
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:54:55 AM »

We are considering two proposals for a new PA, which includes digital wireless mics (@2.4 GHz). Does anyone have perspectives on the AKG DMS300 and/or the AT System 10 PRO (ATW-1322/L)?

The AT System 10 PRO supports two mics per system (base unit), whereas the DMS300 is only support one (meaning the DMS300 will require more rack space). The AT System 10 PRO supports remoting the antenna modules "out of the box" (i.e., all the components needed are included, should you need to remote the antenna for coverage reasons), whereas the AKG DMS300 antenna remoting would require the use of after-market 2.4 GHz remote antenna hardware.

Other thoughts and perspectives?

Thanks!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Digital Wireless: AKG DMS300 vs AT System 10 PRO
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »

You need to change your display name to your actual full name before anyone will respond.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rob Bond

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »

You need to change your display name to your actual full name before anyone will respond.

Thanks. I just made that profile change.

--Rob

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 03:30:19 PM »

...perspectives on ... the AT System 10 PRO (ATW-1322/L)?

Thanks!

I have used the System 10 Pro at my church since Dec 2015. I am a self-taught amateur sound guy, so please take all of this with that in mind.

I have never had any interference issues with this unit. We typically have 100-150 adults in attendance on a Sunday and I would imagine that all of them have at least one wifi device with them.

Repeat: I have never experienced any interference while using this unit.

I have used Ansmann 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries and they last for the 3-4 hours that I need them. Typically indicating 1/4-1/3 life left.

My only gripe is that the hand-held is an all plastic body (due to the multiple antennas within) with fairly high handling noise potential. I use these mics (beltpack and HH) for spoken word only.

I have one of the antennas extended about 12 feet from the receiver to get it more centrally located in the space. It is positioned roughly 60 feet away and 15 feet above from our pastor's typical starting position, so excellent lines of sight regardless of where he walks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 03:38:27 PM »

If you're a masochist, use 2.4gHz.  If you want reliable, use wired mics.  If you are willing to accept lesser quality audio than a wired mic but have no masochistic streak, consider ANY legal UHF or VHF wireless mics.

You will deeply regret using 2.4gHz wireless mics.  They'll work at rehearsals and sound checks and fail like truant 3rd grader once the audience carries in their phones, tablets or laptops.

I wish I'd had Lance's success but cannot truthfully say so.  My uses were corporate AV, Q&A mics for an audience of aviation/aerospace engineers numbering about 600 pax.  Of the 8 units we started with only 3 remained usable, and only within 40-50 feet line of sight with little LPDA antennas.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Bond

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 08:12:09 PM »

If you're a masochist, use 2.4gHz.  If you want reliable, use wired mics.  If you are willing to accept lesser quality audio than a wired mic but have no masochistic streak, consider ANY legal UHF or VHF wireless mics.

You will deeply regret using 2.4gHz wireless mics.  They'll work at rehearsals and sound checks and fail like truant 3rd grader once the audience carries in their phones, tablets or laptops.

I wish I'd had Lance's success but cannot truthfully say so.  My uses were corporate AV, Q&A mics for an audience of aviation/aerospace engineers numbering about 600 pax.  Of the 8 units we started with only 3 remained usable, and only within 40-50 feet line of sight with little LPDA antennas.

Tim - what digital wireless system were you using that had these issues?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 09:38:33 AM »

Tim - what digital wireless system were you using that had these issues?
AKG and Sennheiser and Shure.

Well, not the Shure.  I told the client I would not use them.  Clients pay me to deliver a result and the gear their tech person "wanted" was unsuitable to the task based on prior use of the AKG and Sennheiser.

Seriously, why even risk it?  If your professional or spiritual reputation (I'm presuming this is for a House of Worship) depend on quality results, run away, run away.

I you have no other 2.4gHz products in the room (or leaking RF into the room) and you forbid carrying in of cell phones and other 2.4gHz transmitters... go for it.  The first time a critical mic does not work, you'll know why I'm posting.  The circumstances which are conducive to uses of these devices are not circumstances conducive to the happiness of your audience, staff or pastorate.  Telling the band they can't use their phones to control their monitor mixes or telling the Sr Pastor he/she can't carry their cell phone during the service will not endear you and could cost you your job.

For the cost savings, the ill will generated will pay back 7 fold.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Bond

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »

AKG and Sennheiser and Shure.

Well, not the Shure.  I told the client I would not use them.  Clients pay me to deliver a result and the gear their tech person "wanted" was unsuitable to the task based on prior use of the AKG and Sennheiser.

Seriously, why even risk it?  If your professional or spiritual reputation (I'm presuming this is for a House of Worship) depend on quality results, run away, run away.

I you have no other 2.4gHz products in the room (or leaking RF into the room) and you forbid carrying in of cell phones and other 2.4gHz transmitters... go for it.  The first time a critical mic does not work, you'll know why I'm posting.  The circumstances which are conducive to uses of these devices are not circumstances conducive to the happiness of your audience, staff or pastorate.  Telling the band they can't use their phones to control their monitor mixes or telling the Sr Pastor he/she can't carry their cell phone during the service will not endear you and could cost you your job.

For the cost savings, the ill will generated will pay back 7 fold.

Thanks Tim. Given those experiences, I understand your perspectives.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.