ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movers in a small band setting?  (Read 2748 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Movers in a small band setting?
« on: February 08, 2020, 08:02:52 AM »

I have a small band and I just purchased a couple of entry level, Chauvet 155 movers for our band.  Got on a whim, while they were priced right.  Just wondering the philosophy on where and how people use movers for gigs?  We currently use two PAR Bars on the sides, a couple of Circus lights shining up from the sides of the drum(pointing up and out from the band) and another nice colorful light behind the drum throne that shines straight up, usually on the back wall.  We also use a hazer we use to get a bit of atmosphere. 

My thought was to place these two movers on top of our two main speakers.  The questions now are when and how to use them?  I am using QLC+ to control out lights now on a laptop.  Thoughts or suggestions from your experience?

Steve Garris

Re: Movers in a small band setting?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »

I have a small band and I just purchased a couple of entry level, Chauvet 155 movers for our band.  Got on a whim, while they were priced right.  Just wondering the philosophy on where and how people use movers for gigs?  We currently use two PAR Bars on the sides, a couple of Circus lights shining up from the sides of the drum(pointing up and out from the band) and another nice colorful light behind the drum throne that shines straight up, usually on the back wall.  We also use a hazer we use to get a bit of atmosphere. 

My thought was to place these two movers on top of our two main speakers.  The questions now are when and how to use them?  I am using QLC+ to control out lights now on a laptop.  Thoughts or suggestions from your experience?

I try to avoid pointing lights at walls when I'm allowed to use haze. Speaker mounting a big mover can be complicated. You need to make very sure that light is going nowhere - meaning it needs to be physically attached to the fly points on the speaker. Most people place single movers on a truss totem for gigs like this. Your best option is to put them on the front corners of the drum riser, with the beams going up.

Do you have a front wash to light the performers?

How do you operate your light show?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:28:34 AM »

I’d put them anywhere behind the band. Up high if you can, or on the floor or on some cases maybe. Then work on getting a hazer.

Btw, I bought 4 chauvet intimidator 305’s and have been shocked at how well they do for the price.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 08:01:00 AM »

We currently use a 4Bar Chinese knockoffs for front washes, work well.  The lights are controlled by QLC+ and a laptop and a bluetooth foot controller.  Donner wireless for DMX.

Why do you say, "Speaker mounting a big mover can be complicated."?

I have two QSC 153's for mains that either sit on two 181 subs or one on each side.  My thought was to place the movers on top the 153's, which would be about 6 feet off the ground.  I don't want to blind the audience or dancers, as these lights are very bright.  I have placed a dimmer on them however.  I have the two Chauvet Circus lights that flank the drummer and shine out and up.  They look great great with a bit of haze.

My first gig with the movers will be next weekend for Valentines in a big ballroom.  I'm excited to give them a try.  We will have a light guy for this show and he will control a bunch of other lights, scanners and lazers.....  Should be a grand time!

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »

Why do you say, "Speaker mounting a big mover can be complicated."?

Because the lights are big, heavy, and are moving. I was thinking speakers on poles, and up higher.
Another issue is if they are on their bases but up high, you are limited to how far down they can point. They cannot point straight down, and likely not past about 45 degrees down. With good programming this probably won't be a problem with your rig. You just need to figure out how to secure them to the tops of your speakers.

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »

I have 4 of the 155 duos. Been using them for about 3 years. They work well for what I do. Not a huge light for large outdoor stages, but I don't do those types of shows that often. And will hire in gear when needed. Mostly smaller to medium size stages. These can add some eye candy. The rotating gobos are really nice and add some nice movement. I certainly use them on larger stages, just not normally as the only movers. And don't expect them to do what my larger Q-Spot 300s will do.

I've used movers on speaker stacks in the past with no issues. Not my preferable position. I'd much rather hang them on truss or floor/trunk mount. If these are your only movers, I'd start with them up stage or perhaps off to side stage. Use them to light up the artist. As you add more movers, then think about lighting up the dance floor.

My 2 cents.

Luke McCready

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »

If possible, I'd mount them high and in front of the band. This way, they can aim around the room above the audience's heads, aim down at the floor in front of or around the band members, and aim at the wall behind the band members, depending on the song.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 07:17:12 AM »

Thanks guys!  I'll take it to heart and try a few of the placements and options over the next few months.  I'll start on the speakers and then move to the floor and see what feels best!

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »

I like to use our Chauvet Intimidator 355s as upstage 'eye candy,' behind the band pointing up and out.  Most have a setting to invert the 'pan' value, so that they'll track symmetrically.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »

I used them on top of our mains for this last gig and had some other lights on stage.  I think next time I will try the movers on stage and use the other lights to light of the dance floor?  Fun lights for sure!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.