ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SOOW VS TYPE W Cable  (Read 5372 times)

Jeff Bankston

SOOW VS TYPE W Cable
« on: February 06, 2020, 06:48:02 PM »

Anyone using Type W single conductor 1/0-4/0 cables from generator to power distro ?

http://wesbellwireandcable.com/SOOW/difference-between-soow-wire-and-type-w-power-cable.html

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: SOOW VS TYPE W Cable
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:49:32 PM »

Anyone using Type W single conductor 1/0-4/0 cables from generator to power distro ?

http://wesbellwireandcable.com/SOOW/difference-between-soow-wire-and-type-w-power-cable.html

This for cams or whatever? Well, since the NEC prohibits single pole connectors on multiple-conductor-in-one-jacket-cable, I can't imagine anyone would be using 2/5 or whatever SOOW cable for cams.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 10:24:43 PM »

This for cams or whatever? Well, since the NEC prohibits single pole connectors on multiple-conductor-in-one-jacket-cable, I can't imagine anyone would be using 2/5 or whatever SOOW cable for cams.

He did say single conductor.

Mac

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 01:45:23 AM »

Single conductor "cables" not "multiconductor" cord. 4-6 "individual" 1/0-4/0 runs with camlocks.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:09:57 AM »

I think of cables and cords as having two or more conductors.
where as wires have one conductor.
Speedskater

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:01:42 PM »

Single conductor "cables" not "multiconductor" cord. 4-6 "individual" 1/0-4/0 runs with camlocks.

OK. Sorry, your thread subject said "SOOW vs Type W" so I thought maybe the discussion was "which is better, multi or single conductor?"
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:49:32 AM »

OK. Sorry, your thread subject said "SOOW vs Type W" so I thought maybe the discussion was "which is better, multi or single conductor?"
Anyone used cables with W insulation and SOOW insulation ?  How has the insulation held up ? Type W is suppose to be a little tougher but I have only used W and need more cables and might go with SOOW if it holds up as good as W. A cable is single conductor , a cord is 2 or more conductors. 4/0 comes in cable and cord. I use 4/0 cable from the genny to the main distro.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:53:10 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »

At the risk of further confusion, isn't there also SC single conductor cable in sizes appropriate for feeder use?  SC is rated at 600 volts, IIRC, and is recognized for entertainment use under various NEC chapter 5xx provisions.  Is SC an option for you, Jeff?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 12:46:23 PM »

I think of cables and cords as having two or more conductors.
where as wires have one conductor.
Y'know, the terms cable and cord are kind of ambiguous -- they are commonly used for both multi-strand wires and multi-core wiring. Or, in the case of "cord", can refer to anything from the thread holding your shirt together to the ropes tying ships to the pier to the high-tension power lines that naturopaths freak out under.

The terms single-strand, multi-strand, single-core, and multi-core are unambiguous. They, however, roll off the tongue like a square wheel and make you sound like a freakin' pedant.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »

Y'know, the terms cable and cord are kind of ambiguous -- they are commonly used for both multi-strand wires and multi-core wiring. Or, in the case of "cord", can refer to anything from the thread holding your shirt together to the ropes tying ships to the pier to the high-tension power lines that naturopaths freak out under.

The terms single-strand, multi-strand, single-core, and multi-core are unambiguous. They, however, roll off the tongue like a square wheel and make you sound like a freakin' pedant.
This thread was about the durability of insulation. SOOW vs W insulation. I was asking if anyone has used both which held up better ? It was never intended to about what is a cable and what is a cord. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.