ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Routing Questions  (Read 1797 times)

Rick Bennevendo

X32 Routing Questions
« on: February 06, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »

Hi - I'm a newbie at this and have some pretty basic questions. I have included a diagram to show what I want to achieve. My setup will be
two SD8's - one on the left side of the building and one on the right side of the building. They will be connected to AES-50 A & B at
the X32 digital mixer. The left one (A) will feed the left house speaker and two floor monitors and the right one (B) will feed the right
house speaker and two floor monitors. I will only be using input channels 1 through 16 on the mixer; 1-8 being fed from SD-8(A), and 9-16
fed from SD-8 (B).

So...do I setup the inputs as AES50 A1-8 for the left SD8 (A), and AES50 B9-16 for the right SD8 (B)?
   With this setup (if it's even correct) could I use only channel 16 as a local input for a wireless mic receiver?

How do I set up the outputs on the X32 for the SD8s (A&B) to feed my monitors and house speakers - specifically my L/R outputs to the L/R house (main) speakers.

Thanks!
Rick

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: X32 Routing Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 06:21:28 PM »

You MUST use your full real name before anyone will answer, per the forum rules.
Also, this should be in the lounge, not reviews.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Proformance

Re: X32 Routing Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 09:26:20 PM »

My setup will be
two SD8's  .... connected to AES-50 A & B
I will only be using input channels 1 through 16 on the mixer; 1-8 being fed from SD-8(A), and 9-16  fed from SD-8 (B).

So...do I setup the inputs as AES50 A1-8 for the left SD8 (A), and AES50 B9-16 for the right SD8 (B)?

With this setup could I use only channel 16 as a local input for a wireless mic receiver?

How do I set up the outputs on the X32 for the SD8s (A&B) to feed my monitors and house speakers - specifically my L/R outputs to the L/R house (main) speakers.

The X32 requires that you assign channels in banks of 8.  That means the setup you describes makes input channel 16 accessible ONLY from the SD8 box on AES50-B.

To connect your RF mic receiver locally you would have to use one of the Auxiliary (TRS Line level) inputs, or reassign the local inputs (1-8) to channels 17-24.

Input assignments are done in ROUTING via the INPUT tab. There you will see how an entire bank of channels are assigned together.
Your SD8 outputs are assigned in ROUTING via AES50 tab. For both AES50 A & B choose OUTPUT 1-8 and then follow this next step:
In Routing via the OUTPUT 1-16 tab check to make sure your output assignments have the MAIN L&R assigned to Output 7 & 8. Make other output assigns 1-6 to correspond to your monitor mix busses or matrixes.

The factory default MAIN L&R outputs are output channels 15 & 16 on the full size X32 and  channels 7 & 8 on compact boards. Because your stage boxes on;y have 8 outputs you'll need to make sure Outputs 7 & 8 are indeed set to MAIN LR rather than Bus 7&8.

Also, be CERTAIN that your Catx links to the SD8 boxes are with fully shielded CatCons. An un-shielded cable or shielding that does not include the CatCon shell will leave you vulnerable to static electricity and a complete loss of sound (comm link interruption).  It's a known vulnerability of the X32 mixers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:35:21 PM by Proformance »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber