ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Wash Lights: Chauvet Pro, DJ, Blizzard, ADJ Comparison?  (Read 4260 times)

Luke McCready

Re: Baby Wash Lights: Chauvet Pro, DJ, Blizzard, ADJ Comparison?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »

Thanks, John. I really appreciate your experience with varying brands.

That's helpful, Dave.

1) Even the $169 Blizzard RokSpot RGBW supports 5 selectable modes of 32-bit dimming, according to its manual. Would you expect this to work smoothly and avoid visible stepping, despite it being a very cheap light?

2) I have need of many cheap fixtures to form an array, pointing from the ceiling truss to the ceiling, used to create "marching ants" of color across the ceiling. More fixtures is better, meaning cheaper is better. The RokSpot's single RGBW LED is 15w, and it has an 8 degree beam. If I DIY a little diffusor for each, is this likely to be an effective choice?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »

It hasn't come up but you do know that DMX does have a limit to how many fixtures can be daisy chained and that limit is even lower with cheap fixture from my experience. So if you truly want many then you will need many DMX splitters and you are paying a premium anyway.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »

This is where I recommend yet another Chauvet Product! lol. I am still using these and still happy. Not an issue with any of them.

This is our Youth stage. It's small. About 15 feet deep and maybe 30 wide. I did use these Accent Quads as a practical effect for a "time machine" before I put them into the fresnels. I was really impressed with their brightness for being 1 quad LED each fixture. They were really bright if you were looking into the light, which was the case for the time machine gag.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RtpCaTH
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Luke McCready

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »

Tim, that project is ridiculous and I love it. Thanks for sharing!

Jean-Pierre, I've read never to daisy-chain more than 32 fixtures together on a single DMX line. What has been the ceiling you've experienced with cheaper fixtures?

By "many", I'm thinking 16 above the room with 8 on each of two trusses. Maybe a couple more for the drum cage, run off of a separate universe for sure. It's many for a small room and a small budget. =]

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »

We use some Chinese stuff that caps off at 12 or something. Will make our Robe moving heads freak out completely and will cause intermittent flashing of the LEDs. Remove the cheap LEDs and all is good. They are also 100% in the disposable price range though and we regularly have entire arrays of colour dying on the light.

Honestly for the amount of money an ETC coloursource with a 10 year warranty on the LED array is pretty cheap compared to replacing the Chinese stuff every 2 years and guaranteed its a much better fixture. But that was an off topic note on stewardship and buy once cry once.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:58 PM »

Chauvet has different levels in both the DJ and Pro lines.
As a rule, the quality of the light gets better as you spend more money.
TNSTAAFL after all.
I really like their wireless battery powered up-lights (Freedom Par).

ps, I'm a dealer. PM me if you want more info.

I’m pleased with the Chauvet Freedom Par Hex thus far, wireless works, dimming is good, colors are great, battery life outstanding.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »

I'm a fan of the Blizzard Hotbox 5 series.  We use them on portable trees and I've put several into installations over the last few years.  They're very bright for their size.

I also recently replaced a set of super cheap overseas knockoffs that had almost all died (one or more colors out in each fixture) with some Chauvet DJ SlimPAR Pro-H USB that are bright, with good color mixing, and good build quality. 

FWIW, I bought all these from our friend Mr. Pyle here on the forum. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.