ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Parallel w Home Runs  (Read 3948 times)

Eric Sean

Running Parallel w Home Runs
« on: February 05, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »

Hi All -

I got brought onto a gig that had been started by another contractor. The speaker locations are fine but they pulled home runs to each.

I know what and how many speakers I can run off of what amp in regards to keeping ohms in check and not burning my amps - my question is, with the home runs, how would you connect multiple speakers to a channel, whether it be screw down terminal, binding post, etc. Are you simply twisting your negatives together and connecting to one post or stacking spade plugs on top of one another and same on the positive end?

Im trying to avoid a 2 channel amp for each pair as I have about 18 speaker locations.

Thanks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Running Parallel w Home Runs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »

Hi All -

I got brought onto a gig that had been started by another contractor. The speaker locations are fine but they pulled home runs to each.

I know what and how many speakers I can run off of what amp in regards to keeping ohms in check and not burning my amps - my question is, with the home runs, how would you connect multiple speakers to a channel, whether it be screw down terminal, binding post, etc. Are you simply twisting your negatives together and connecting to one post or stacking spade plugs on top of one another and same on the positive end?

Im trying to avoid a 2 channel amp for each pair as I have about 18 speaker locations.

Thanks

Have you thought about using 70v line transformers.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »

As long as you can make a solid connection, it shouldn't make that much of a difference which method you choose.  2 wires twisted together on a binding post isn't that big of a deal. 18 wires, well, that's a different story.

If you've got 18 speakers to deal with, it might make the most sense to terminate the wires to a terminal strip, then run wires/jumpers from there to the amps.  That would give you the most flexibility in the long run.
Brian Jojade

Eric Sean

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »

As long as you can make a solid connection, it shouldn't make that much of a difference which method you choose.  2 wires twisted together on a binding post isn't that big of a deal. 18 wires, well, that's a different story.

If you've got 18 speakers to deal with, it might make the most sense to terminate the wires to a terminal strip, then run wires/jumpers from there to the amps.  That would give you the most flexibility in the long run.

Thanks Brian - I'll take a look at the terminal strips. It's definitely not going to be 18 going to one amp, but if I can stack and cut it down to 3 or 4 amps its a win.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM »

What are the speakers going to be used for?
What kind of speakers are they?
What is the amp or amps that will be running them?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 09:30:44 AM »

Hi All -

Thanks

The italicized is certainly important-but so is the wire size.  Depending on the size of amps/speakers/wire size and the length of the run there may be a very good reason for multiple home runs.
Steve Swaffer

Eric Sean

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »

What are the speakers going to be used for?
What kind of speakers are they?
What is the amp or amps that will be running them?

It’s a bar /restaurant. Mostly background music but occasionally tv sound for a big game or event. They pulled 14/4. I typically run JBL control 25s and 28s with crown amps.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »

It’s a bar /restaurant. Mostly background music but occasionally tv sound for a big game or event. They pulled 14/4. I typically run JBL control 25s and 28s with crown amps.

Those have been discontinued for a while now.

Do you/did you use the low impedance version or the 70 volt transformer version?

Eric Sean

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »

Those have been discontinued for a while now.

Do you/did you use the low impedance version or the 70 volt transformer version?

Not discontinued. They’re the 28-1 now.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »

Not discontinued. They’re the 28-1 now.

And so they are.

70 volt or low impedance version, that's makes all the difference on how many you can run off of an amp
provided driven with a proper amp.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.