ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up Input level for Mixer/Audio Interface to Camcorder  (Read 2013 times)

Micheal Lopsy

Setting up Input level for Mixer/Audio Interface to Camcorder
« on: February 04, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »

Hey there, I am a musician who plays 2 gigs a week. I just got a Canon Vixia HF800 to record myself live (mixer) and in studio (audio interface). I am posting this content to youtube. I have a yamaha Stagepas 400 for a mixer and a scarlett 2i2 for an audio interface. I am able to hook up to the camera just fine, both scenarios have 3.5mm out with adjustable output level. I am wondering how to properly set output and input levels. I can adjust the output from the interface/mixer and I can adjust the input on the camera for an external mic. I've heard that most camera preamps are not good so it is much better to use as least possible as you can. My attemps so far to keep input at around 12 have come back over video as clipped. Can you have a clipped signal coming from the mixer? What's the best order of steps to have great sound quality. Thank you for the help.

Side note: Would it be easier for home recording to just record through interface and sync them up in video editing software?

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Real Names are required to participate here
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »

Hi,
Real names are required to participate here.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.
Thanks
Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Setting up Input level for Mixer/Audio Interface to Camcorder
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »

Side note: Would it be easier for home recording to just record through interface and sync them up in video editing software?

Yes.

Maybe get a portable recorder like a Zoom or Tascam for the live events.
Camera audio hardware, even on many nicer cameras, is often noisy.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 07:08:52 PM »

Yes.

Maybe get a portable recorder like a Zoom or Tascam for the live events.
Camera audio hardware, even on many nicer cameras, is often noisy.

My thoughts too.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 07:14:14 PM »

Whirlwind makes this handy box, I have one I bought used here on the marketplace a few years ago. Don't use it all the time but when I do it's great.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/specialty-interface-solutions/lm2c-camera-mic-adapter

Here's a piece by Radio Design Labs, it's a little more DIY but also work great, I've put these into installs to get an audio feed into a cameras like yours.

https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=163

With the RDL piece wire up the 1/8 TRS plug/cable so both the tip and sleeve connect to the mic + output, shield goes to ground, put a jumper between ground and the - mic output. Depending on your
system you may or may not need to put a jumper between the input ground and the mic output ground.

................or record on a portable recorder and sync it up in post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:17:32 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »

Another vote for the Zoom units. They're only a few bucks more than the Whirlwind box above and has the added benefit of being a fully portable standalone recorder along with an audio passthrough.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 06:28:43 AM »

Hey there, I am a musician who plays 2 gigs a week. I just got a Canon Vixia HF800 to record myself live (mixer) and in studio (audio interface). I am posting this content to youtube. I have a yamaha Stagepas 400 for a mixer and a scarlett 2i2 for an audio interface. I am able to hook up to the camera just fine, both scenarios have 3.5mm out with adjustable output level. I am wondering how to properly set output and input levels. I can adjust the output from the interface/mixer and I can adjust the input on the camera for an external mic. I've heard that most camera preamps are not good so it is much better to use as least possible as you can. My attemps so far to keep input at around 12 have come back over video as clipped. Can you have a clipped signal coming from the mixer? What's the best order of steps to have great sound quality. Thank you for the help.

It would be easier to use an external recorder but you should be able to get your setup to work.
That said, here goes...
Keep in mind that you are going into a microphone input on the camera and the output level from the mixer is line level...much higher than the camera wants!
Set the input on the camera to about 80% (defeat auto level if possible)and start with the mixer output VERY low. Make sure "mic power" switch is off ,if possible.
Increase the mixer output until the camera audio meters show about 80% level. If the camera has no meters. Do some test recordings.

Sometimes the mic input has power on it for condenser microphones and that can cause problems for the mixer, so another trick is to use a passive DI in reverse to lower the level to the camera.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

Keep in mind that you are going into a microphone input on the camera and the output level from the mixer is line level...much higher than the camera wants!

Would this not be a good spot for a reversed DI box?
should get a lot closer to the level needed.....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »

Would this not be a good spot for a reversed DI box?
should get a lot closer to the level needed.....
Chris.
See my last line of the post. :)
It would also iso the phantom power.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »

See my last line of the post. :)
It would also iso the phantom power.
ooops.  ::)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.