ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Which I-Tech Amps For Sub Duty  (Read 7155 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Which I-Tech Amps For Sub Duty
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »

I did some testing for my employer (and hence won't be discussing specific numbers) and I encourage you to do so.  Simply that a voice coil will survive is not indicative that volts & current are being turned into *linear* amounts of SPL.  This is one of the reasons I say we don't need megawatts of power unless we're trying to warm the room with voice coil heat.

Quite timely... this was just posted....
https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2020/01/31/peaks-vs-rms-keeping-peaks-in-their-place/
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »

…...I have a pretty good idea of what I have, but have yet to experience it first hand in this situation. My original plan was to get 2 SUB18's (single 2269h driver per enclosure) but the 5628's were actually cheaper! So it was a no brainer. Here's the room these monsters will be going in. I just have to be careful not to put anyone into cardiac arrest with these things.

Ya done good getting 4 x 2269H's.  What I learned with my slightly smaller setup is that it's more than I thought it would be and I've run lots of 18's, setup dance clubs and such.  I hope you post back here the results.  This is a positive affirmation for you.  :)

Loud is loud, but subwoofer energy is different than the tops - and has a different effect on me - when I turn it up and get it rockin good, about 3-4 minutes and I'm up pacing and it's not that it's overwhelmingly loud hearing it, but it's just uncomfortable and makes me squirrely.  I built it with probably much the same intent as you - for the subsonic bandwidth.  Hard to describe it - but, I would put money on you reacting in a similar manner.

It'll be good to trade notes with another madman.

If you've ever seen NHRA professional drag racing or professional drag boat racing where they run the 12,000 HP nitromethane fueled blown 500" engines.  I've been going to the drags for 50+ years and know what to expect - but when a pair of those cars leave the starting line it's overwhelming - ya know it's coming, and you know what's coming and ya know it's gonna thunder - then the shit hits the fan.  The sensory overload is amazing.

You're going to have fun with that thing.  Better put dual keylocks on the startup circuit, far enough apart so it takes two people to turn them on simultaneously.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 09:12:17 PM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mario Pollio

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 10:16:35 PM »

Ya done good getting 4 x 2269H's.  What I learned with my slightly smaller setup is that it's more than I thought it would be and I've run lots of 18's, setup dance clubs and such.  I hope you post back here the results.  This is a positive affirmation for you.  :)

Loud is loud, but subwoofer energy is different than the tops - and has a different effect on me - when I turn it up and get it rockin good, about 3-4 minutes and I'm up pacing and it's not that it's overwhelmingly loud hearing it, but it's just uncomfortable and makes me squirrely.  I built it with probably much the same intent as you - for the subsonic bandwidth.  Hard to describe it - but, I would put money on you reacting in a similar manner.

It'll be good to trade notes with another madman.

If you've ever seen NHRA professional drag racing or professional drag boat racing where they run the 12,000 HP nitromethane fueled blown 500" engines.  I've been going to the drags for 50+ years and know what to expect - but when a pair of those cars leave the starting line it's overwhelming - ya know it's coming, and you know what's coming and ya know it's gonna thunder - then the shit hits the fan.  The sensory overload is amazing.

You're going to have fun with that thing.  Better put dual keylocks on the startup circuit, far enough apart so it takes two people to turn them on simultaneously.

I'll definitely post back with my thoughts when everything is up and running. I'll post pics of the room as well. I can't say I've ever experience subwoofer energy that made me react the way you say. I've had PA subs in the past (KW181, PRX618s-XLF) but none of those are even in the same universe as the 5628.

I have seen those NHRA dragsters rip down the strip. Sensory overload is an understatement. First time I watched I didn't know what to expect. The thing exploded off the line and ripped down the strip so fast, I barely knew what happened. And it was so loud, I felt like I physically had cotton in my ears afterwards.

Can't wait to have the whole set up running. The subs are probably gonna come within the next few weeks, but I still have to build the room. Demo should start in the next couple of weeks. The audio set up will consist of 3 JBL M2's (left, center, right) 2 of the 5628's all behind the screen. The surround speakers will be JBL SCL-4's, 6 in total (2 on each side and 2 in the rear wall) and 4 or 6 atmos speakers (haven't decided yet on how many). As far as amps, the M2's are each powered by an I-tech 5000HD, sounds like the 5628 will be powered by a 12000HD, or 8000HD, and the surrounds will be power by Crown DCi networks amps. Not sure if you're familiar with this, but the processor should (hopefully) be a Trinnov altitude.

Lots of gear in that room. Should be incredible once it's all done and calibrated.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 10:19:13 PM »

^^^  Yes indeed, I remember when a fellow engineer loaned me his Synergistic Audio Concepts book back about 1981 - wow! Near, Far, Reverberent fields was the first thing I really locked on to.

"Conclusion:
We’ve had methods for decades that can readily establish the peak and RMS performance of both amplifiers and loudspeakers. Let’s not forget the body of work done by those who came before us. The modern obsession with “peak performance” represents a step backward in developing meaningful ratings and performance metrics for audio equipment. There are standards in place for quantifying both the long and short-term performance of audio products. We just need to use them.  pb"

“Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it.” – George Santayana

For the OP, putting 10KW (RMS Continuous) worth of amps in your den, harnessed to 4 x JBL 2269H's will make that room glow and pulse @ -6db peaks.  :)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 10:23:15 PM »

I'll definitely post back with my thoughts when everything is up and running. I'll post pics of the room as well. I can't say I've ever experience subwoofer energy that made me react the way you say. I've had PA subs in the past (KW181, PRX618s-XLF) but none of those are even in the same universe as the 5628.

I have seen those NHRA dragsters rip down the strip. Sensory overload is an understatement. First time I watched I didn't know what to expect. The thing exploded off the line and ripped down the strip so fast, I barely knew what happened. And it was so loud, I felt like I physically had cotton in my ears afterwards.

Can't wait to have the whole set up running. The subs are probably gonna come within the next few weeks, but I still have to build the room. Demo should start in the next couple of weeks. The audio set up will consist of 3 JBL M2's (left, center, right) 2 of the 5628's all behind the screen. The surround speakers will be JBL SCL-4's, 6 in total (2 on each side and 2 in the rear wall) and 4 or 6 atmos speakers (haven't decided yet on how many). As far as amps, the M2's are each powered by an I-tech 5000HD, sounds like the 5628 will be powered by a 12000HD, or 8000HD, and the surrounds will be power by Crown DCi networks amps. Not sure if you're familiar with this, but the processor should (hopefully) be a Trinnov altitude.

Lots of gear in that room. Should be incredible once it's all done and calibrated.

Dude, it'll be on the order of Robert Oppenheimer out in the Nevada desert when you light that thing off.  Just remember what I said.  :)

I'm impressed!!!!

Mario Pollio

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 10:27:54 PM »

Dude, it'll be on the order of Robert Oppenheimer out in the Nevada desert when you light that thing off.  Just remember what I said.  :)

I'm impressed!!!!

Lmao thanks! Can’t wait and I will  ;D

Tony South

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 10:04:11 PM »

Lmao thanks! Can’t wait and I will  ;D
Sounds like we think alike. I am currently running two sub18s and two asb7118s in my theater. No M2s yet. Just Paradigm 11 channel atmos. I am powering the subs with an ITech 12000. My room is 15x28 with 8 ft ceilings.
I will be real curious to see if your sub placement works. I tried the same locations and they cancelled out at the listening position. I ended up with the two sub18s stacked in a rear corner and the other two up in forward corners after much moving them around.
When you get it tuned. Your going to love it!!!
I can knock stuff off the walls two stories up.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »

Sounds like we think alike. I am currently running two sub18s and two asb7118s in my theater. No M2s yet. Just Paradigm 11 channel atmos. I am powering the subs with an ITech 12000. My room is 15x28 with 8 ft ceilings.
I will be real curious to see if your sub placement works. I tried the same locations and they cancelled out at the listening position. I ended up with the two sub18s stacked in a rear corner and the other two up in forward corners after much moving them around.

Do ya play music through it too?

Mario Pollio

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »

I hope I don’t have a cancellation problem! Hopefully any tuning can be done electronically because there isn’t much wiggle room!

They came last week and are huge! I’m trying to post a pic but it won’t allow me to

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.