ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Series III 32R Rack Mixer--Connectivity issues??  (Read 1162 times)

Nick Longden

Presonus Series III 32R Rack Mixer--Connectivity issues??
« on: February 02, 2020, 05:17:47 PM »

I just went to Sweetwater on Friday, and finally got my 32R mixer.  I immediately went to playing with it, just playing pre-recorded music routed from my Virtual DJ and iTunes to the Digital Return channel...and something horrible happened.  The Universal Control program crashed.  Now, I'm not a computer novice, and I understand crashes happen from time to time.  But it's been two days now, and the problem has happened multiple times.  Sometimes UC crashes completely, prompting an error report to Apple.  Other times, the "Control" light on the front of the mixer goes red (blue means it's connected), and the software no longer controls the mixer.  The mixer still passes audio to the speakers.  Because the audio is still passing, this wouldn't be a problem, right? Just reboot the software, and go on your way...but no.  Rebooting UC and clicking the mixer icon just shows the "working" logo, and never boots the GUI.  The only way to re-establish control is to completely power down the mixer, reboot the software, and power up the mixer again.

You can see why this would be a problem in a live sound situation.  Anyone had an issue like this with the Presonus?  If so, do I have a bad mixer, or computer, or is there a setting I can change for connectivity?

Now, the technicals:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Presonus Studiolive Series III 32R Digital Rack Mixer
Universal Control 3.0 connected via USB 2.0

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Presonus Series III 32R Rack Mixer--Connectivity issues??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:51:52 PM »

What does Presonus have to say?  Have you called Sweetwater?  What happens if you use analog inputs?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nick Longden

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »

What does Presonus have to say?  Have you called Sweetwater?  What happens if you use analog inputs?

I sent a help request to Presonus already, and have contemplated calling Sweetwater.  But I wanted to see if this was a common problem, and if there was a setting or something first, before I go down the "waiting on hold for 8 hours" bit.

I haven't attempted using the analog inputs for a full band yet. Next practice isn't until next weekend.  I plugged my vocal mic in, and didn't seem to have any issues.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 08:42:13 PM »

That you were very specific about using the digital inputs is what raised the question.  I suspect you may have a sample rate conflict amongst the devices.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sean Anderson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »

Update the firmware, that sounds like early firmware problems. Also, log a support ticket and use the Presonus facebook support group.

Nick Longden

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »

Update the firmware, that sounds like early firmware problems. Also, log a support ticket and use the Presonus facebook support group.

Logged a support ticket with Presonus already. They asked for a config file from my computer. While I'm waiting for a response, I had the mixer plugged in and idle this afternoon. After about 15-20 mins, I noticed the "control" light on the front was red again.  So it seems as though this isn't necessarily related to the digital return.  It seems like the USB is just randomly dropping the connection.  Tomorrow I will try to run the mixer through a wifi router and see if the same issue persists.  This is how I plan to run it for shows anyway, so it's best to test it early.

The firmware is the latest version. It's a three day old install at this point.  Brand new mixer.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »

Logged a support ticket with Presonus already. They asked for a config file from my computer. While I'm waiting for a response, I had the mixer plugged in and idle this afternoon. After about 15-20 mins, I noticed the "control" light on the front was red again.  So it seems as though this isn't necessarily related to the digital return.  It seems like the USB is just randomly dropping the connection.  Tomorrow I will try to run the mixer through a wifi router and see if the same issue persists.  This is how I plan to run it for shows anyway, so it's best to test it early.

The firmware is the latest version. It's a three day old install at this point.  Brand new mixer.

Okay... I hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried a different USB cable?  If so, it's up to Presonus at this point.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »

I just want to be clear, not the Universal Control version, but the actual board firmware. This just seems like an issue many people had on one of the early firmware versions of these mixers. I have had a series iii for years. Great mixer, one bad early firmware.

On another note, I have had usb cables go bad. That is also likely.

If it helps, Presonus has always been good helping me with issues/questions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.