ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL5 Wireless Mix Question  (Read 507 times)

Rob Podratz

Yamaha QL5 Wireless Mix Question
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:51:04 pm »

I've tried to search this forum for an answer, but have not found one.  If there is, could you please point me to the link, If not can anyone answer the following question;

We are using the Yamaha QL5 at our church.  Using the Yamaha Stage mix app, we can wirelessly mix our FOH on an iPad.  Is it possible to attach a 2nd iPad and mix our livestream at the same time.  Basically, can we use two iPads to access the sound board simultaneously and control two separate mix's at the same time?

Thank you
-Rob

Josh Hana

Re: Yamaha QL5 Wireless Mix Question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:30:52 pm »

Yes, I'm pretty sure the QL/CL series supports up to 10 control devices. I know on the iphone app you can lock out certain features and limit just to a single mix, not sure if that's possible on the ipad. There are a variety of user access controls and preferences for how the app control interacts with the console so you may have to play around with those on both the app settings and console settings, and read up on the manual

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:26:40 pm »

Sorry, Rob, but I always have to ask this: why does this have to be wireless?  If already mixing the live sound for the service wirelessly, that leaves the desk available to the streaming/podcast mixer.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Steven Cohen

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:36:59 pm »

Rob,

The CL Stage Mix manual states that it supports up to 5 Ipads connected at the same time. I assume the QL is the same?
https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1129848

I've tried to search this forum for an answer, but have not found one.  If there is, could you please point me to the link, If not can anyone answer the following question;

We are using the Yamaha QL5 at our church.  Using the Yamaha Stage mix app, we can wirelessly mix our FOH on an iPad.  Is it possible to attach a 2nd iPad and mix our livestream at the same time.  Basically, can we use two iPads to access the sound board simultaneously and control two separate mix's at the same time?

Thank you
-Rob

Rob Podratz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:40:32 am »

Thank you Josh.  I will be definitely reading up on the manual.   I normally work with our video streaming side of things and was use to only getting a premixed feed.  When I needed things changed in the feed its always been a struggle to communicate with the FOH sound guy on what I needed fixed (because they are busy too!).  We recently switched to the Yamaha QL5 and when I saw the ability to mix stage monitors via an ipad, it made me think about doing the same thing with the livestream and tweak it without interrupting our FOH person.  The only thing I didn't know was if multiple iPads could be used simultaneously while the FOH person did their thing.  Looks like I now might be able to do this.
-Rob

Rob Podratz

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:56:14 am »

Hey Tim, at first I didn't understand your question, but them I realized I used the wrong wording in my original post.  The ipad we use now mixes the stage, while the FOH person mixes the church service (at the desk).  Adding a 2nd iPad to mix the livestream feed at my location in the sound booth seemed like a perfect solution, but I was unsure if we could use multiple iPads simultaneously while the FOH person was doing their thing. Since I'm not one of the sound tech's anymore and we just upgraded to the Yamaha QL5, before I got too deep in the weeds, I wanted to make sure what I was thinking was possible.  Thank you all for help.  It save me a bunch of time.  Now I'm off to make it happen.
-Rob

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 11:14:14 am »

Thanks for the clarification, Rob.  So often we all get requests to do things "wirelessly" like copper is affront to Reason, Sanity, and the Almighty.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 01:05:25 pm »

QL also supports up to 5 IPads. Just make sure that in the app "StageMix Follows Console" and "Console follows StageMix" are turned off.

But since you'll just be tampering with levels for the streaming, it might be useful to use the MonitorMix app instead. In that you only control the levels being fed to a send, not EQ/Gain/Comps and such. And you can also group inputs, so you have "drums" "speakers" etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:09:13 pm by Miguel Dahl »

Rob Podratz

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 05:46:05 pm »

Yes, that makes perfect sense.  I only need to adjust the levels of the mix not the specific gain, EQ, etc... of the channel.  Although that might be nice occasionally.  Eventually, we need to add a 2nd person who only mixes the livestream audio, but we are not at that level yet, so the MonitorMix App seems to make more sense a the moment, since I'm the only one monitoring the main livestream audio input level, running the PTZ cameras and switcher all while making sure Wirecast is streaming the correct cameras, lower thirds, graphics etc.... 

Thank you for your suggestion Miguel
-Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 05:46:05 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.