ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: School me on generators.  (Read 3585 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: School me on generators.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »

I imagine the big tours employ their own electricians who handle bonding, rather than depending on the stagehands and engineers to do that when they're plugging in mics and amps.

It appeared on the Stones stage and set I was working on that the bonding was engineered into the build process - IIRC the bonding points were welded to the steel and there were multiple jumpers between primary structure and stage subassemblies.  Whether or not StageCo used electricians or their stage techs, I don't know.  I'm fairly certain that local hands did not perform this task.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 11:15:36 PM »

And this is done in practice?  Obviously supposed to.  Do most large productions adhere to this strictly, or loosely?

As one of the production managers I know well has said to folks providing temporary stages/power...

Are you going to bond the stage to the genny grounding stake?

No..we never do.

Ok, can I get a business card?

Sure, why?

I need to make sure we get your name spelt correctly for the lawyers.

I'll go get some wire and clamps.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »

Years ago I did a small outdoor gig where they had loud gasoline generators. One wasn’t enough to run the whole show, so I used one for backline and one for sound system.   I made sure that they were separate and none of one “touched” the other. I did this by putting a Mac on the bass can (no di), and running acoustic guitar pedals off power allocated to sound system.  Show went fine.

Since then he crosses my mind if that was even a proper thing to do.  Would it have been fine for them to share a grounding rod? Did I do it the smart way by keeping them isolated from each other?

I always thought the danger here was holding onto a guitar and lips touching a microphone. Wouldn’t that be no longer isolated?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 02:12:07 PM »

For the OP

To be clear, when using generators, one should BOND the neutral to ground. Also, one should BOND metallic structures to ground. Also, the ground should be BONDED to Earth.

There should only be ONE ground. All ground leads should connect together.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 02:12:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.