ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crest VS series versus Crown XTI  (Read 3301 times)

Jose A. Morales

Crest VS series versus Crown XTI
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »

Hello board!

I'm building a custom DJ "bedroom" setup with a Xone DB:4, XDJ's, SL1200's. I'm using Infinity Kappa Perfect 900's with the 300M as a 3way setup. Yes, they are car audio speakers, which i believe are essentially near field monitors. I'm using 2 Kappa 12' woofers in a ported enclosure tuned at 30hz.
I'm using a Rockford Fosgate DSP processor for tuning, setting crossover points, and delay.
I was using a Crest VS650 for my tops and a Crest VS900 for my subs. I purchased a Crown XTI1000 to replace the VS650 hoping to upgrade the sound quality and was disappointed, the sound was harsh and lost some of the warmth of Crest.  My intention was to use the the dsp in the Crown amp and no longer use the Fosgate processor.
I understand the Crest amp is a class A/B versus the Class D Crown.

The Crest amps are quite inexpensive and I dont mind the size/weight/heat issues and using an outboard processor such as dbx DriverackPA2.

My question is, what would you recommend as an upgrade to the Crest VS series amps?

Thanks for taking the time. :)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Crest VS series versus Crown XTI
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:51 PM »

Go back to the Crest VS650 on top and bridge the XTi 1000 for the subs.

It's a scabbed together system with leftovers, nothing wrong with that - I did a similar build for a small near field studio system.

Given the mix of components, I'd stay with the Fosgate controller to set it up for optimum performance.  If the woofers are 8 ohm the little XTi outta push them just fine bridged.

If the Fosgate controller will do 3-way, use the Crest VS900 for low mids on 900's.

That's a cost effective solution.  I use a dbx Driverack PA2 on my little studio system, went to that for ease of tuning it using WiFi & iPad.

In the end, it really depends upon how much money you want to spend on it.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:01:37 AM by Steve-White »

Jose A. Morales

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:24:49 AM »

Go back to the Crest VS650 on top and bridge the XTi 1000 for the subs.

Given the mix of components, I'd stay with the Fosgate controller to set it up for optimum performance.  If the woofers are 8 ohm the little XTi outta push them just fine bridged.

If the Fosgate controller will do 3-way, use the Crest VS900 for low mids on 900's.

That's a cost effective solution.  I use a dbx Driverack PA2 on my little studio system, went to that for ease of tuning it using WiFi & iPad.

Steve,

Thanks for your input.

I just ordered a PA2, I'm going to miss the dual knob setup that comes with the Fosgate processor.
I'm going to run it the way you recommended, VS650 for 3" mid and tweeter, VS900 for the 6X9's, and XTI1000 for the subs. The subs I have are selectable to either 2 or 4 ohm. Should I wire them in series to generate a 4 ohm load and then bridge the amp?

Also, I might be able to score a Crown Drivecore CDI4/300, for around $500, do you think I would get a huge improvement in sound quality on the mids and highs?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »

Just to be sure, you have a Crown XTi 1000?  Picked up a used one?  Not an XTi 1002?

With 2-4 ohm woofers, there is no need to bridge amp.  Set them up for 4 ohm operation, wire one on each channel of the XTi 1000 and done.

Let us know how it works out.  You should like the PA2 for it's ease of setup, the control application works well and is easy to navigate through.

Jose A. Morales

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:08:56 AM »

XTI1000
The woofers have a selectable impedance of either 2 ohms or 4 ohms.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »

The PA2 has an RTA feature that will work fine in this application.  Also, an autotune function that will be fun to play with.  You will need the measurement mic for it to utilize.

Let us know how it works out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:48:12 PM by Steve-White »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 01:06:01 AM »

I had some Carver amps like that at one time! I still have a PM600 running my computer speakers.

The Crown XTI's are not class D amps, the Drivecore amp you mentioned is and the XLS series are.

The Drive Rack PA2 series is not so bad.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »

^^^ That's my computer/Studio rack.

It sports a Carver PM-350 for lows, the PM-300 for low-mids, TFM6-CB for highs.  Controller is of course Driverack PA2, pushing a 15" Dayton for lows, and a pair of JBL S-38's with the low side of the crossover bypassed to the 8" LF drivers.

I picked up several JBL 2391 horn/lens assy's from you on eBay auctions 15-20 years ago.  My my how time flies!

More than once I've encountered strong opinions on components, systems, brands, etc that the individual posting has "0" actual experience using - they just regurgitate what they've read elsewhere.  Go on to a Honda build forum and tell them you are putting drilled/slotted brake rotors on your car and it will cause an uproar on par with a nuclear level detonation - I guess Enzo Ferrari never checked online.

The Driverack PA2's work great.  I've used dbx gear for 40+ years and have yet to get anything I didn't like from them.  Same for Ashly.
  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:13:38 PM by Steve-White »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »

Jose, I was just thinking about your Crown XTi 1000.  Since the early days of my audio work, I've been big on bench checking out gear.  Back in the days of analog crossovers, I always ran sine wave signals through them on the bench to ensure unity gain and such, as well as clean signal.

For amps, check of input level, clean signal, etc.  At the system level, put it all together in the rack, dummy load the amps and check everything to include the limiters and output levels.

Still do that to this day, look at everything on an oscilloscope with dummy loads in place.

The XTi 1000 may have issues that can be corrected.

The Crown should sound fine, it's used so maybe it isn't fine.  Distortion in an amp will be far more noticeable above 1KHZ.  It may be worth your while to have a tech run that amp up on the bench to make sure it's healthy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.