Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixers  (Read 4662 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Mixers
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »

Looking for a new analog/USB mixer for live gigs from solo acoustic up to a 4 piece band. Leaning toward Allen and Heath or Presonus. Any insight about these two company's would be appreciated.

Soundcraft Signature 10, if not digital. I picked one up refurbished at $200 (like new) from PSSL. I'm amazed at how good it sounds.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »

I purchased a PreSonus StudioLive AR16 for use in a small multi-use space.
The build quality is not great. All the knobs are supported only by the circuit board, not by the top panel with nuts.
There is no PFL meter. There is an output meter. It does not show PFL level so there's no way to set gains accurately.
The extra feature of the AR16 is to record stereo output to an SD card or USB. The pick point for the Main L/R is post main fader. It should be pre-main-fader with an independent level control or at least be switchable.

I doubt I'll buy a Presonus analog mixer again.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:06:06 PM by Corey Scogin »

Frankie Lessard

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 12:09:13 PM »

What do you mean by analog/USB?

If it's an analog mixer format that has a USB input output interface
the Allen Heath ZED are good.

Thanks! I actually went the Zedi 10fx. I wanna record my gigs which I was looking for a USB mixer. Now I need to figure what simple DAW software to get for recording a 4 hour gig.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:11:58 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mal Brown

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »

Presonus Studio One is what I use.  Been using it since I got a 1642 years ago. I like it a lot.   N-Track Studio and Reaper are free'ware options
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Thomas Le

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 03:19:55 PM »

If you want just straight up recording, have a look at waves tracks.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »

Presonus Studio One is what I use.  Been using it since I got a 1642 years ago. I like it a lot.   N-Track Studio and Reaper are free'ware options

Reaper is not free.  Cockos has eliminated their "endless fully functioning demo" largely BECAUSE everyone took that to mean "free".  It never was, and now the demo ends at 60 days. 

It costs 60 dollars for most people on this forum.  And it's worth ten times that.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John Lackner

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 01:49:27 PM »

Thanks! I actually went the Zedi 10fx. I wanna record my gigs which I was looking for a USB mixer. Now I need to figure what simple DAW software to get for recording a 4 hour gig.

I use Audacity for basic 2 track recording. Simply stripped down with a minimum of features, but easy to learn and it's FREE.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »

Looking for a new analog/USB mixer for live gigs from solo acoustic up to a 4 piece band. Leaning toward Allen and Heath or Presonus. Any insight about these two company's would be appreciated.

I own an A&H ZED24, and like it a lot. The USB interface is just a basic bidirectional 2-channel that can record from either the main out or a pair of auxes.

I have never used a Presonus analog, but I have used various incarnations of their digital mixers, and they don't thrill me. That said the AR series mixers seem to have a good feature set for what they sell for.

I would also look at the Signature series from Soundcraft.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »

If all you were doing was a solo acoustic, I would say the ZED 10 Fx is a very good choice (Although the Soundcraft offerings are also very good).

A 4 piece band is quite a different story.

Although I did use my ZED 10 Fx for a 3 piece band once (2 singers vocal mics, 1 guitar cab mic, one kick mic for the 4 XLR's, Bass was direct), that was a very minimalist gig.

For my full 4 piece band I use an X32 Rack and would generally encourage anyone to have a minimum of 16 channels and a bit more for this purpose:

3 to 4 vocal mics
2 guitar cab mics
2 inputs for a keyboard
1 input for bass (either direct or mic)
2 inputs for stereo break music

Now, without drums you are looking at between 8 to 11 inputs.

Drums:
1 snare
1 high hat
3 to 5 toms
1 kick
1 to 2 overheads

So drums will take up 7 to 10 channels

Soooo.  Overall, a 4 piece band takes between 15 to 22 inputs depending on the content of your band.  Fortunately, the X32 Rack has 24 total inputs (16 XLR + 6 quarter inch inputs and an integrated stereo input) which has handled anything I have ever had to handle with my own band.

My bass player uses an XR18 which is quite serviceable for such a low cost mixer ($581 on Amazon right now).  It can also do multi-track recording which is a must if you want to actually make a decent mix on an after the fact gig recording.

Frankie Lessard

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:41 PM »

What do you mean by analog/USB?

If it's an analog mixer format that has a USB input output interface
the Allen Heath ZED are good.

The Zedi 10 FX is the one I went with. Thanks for the input!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.