ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator Bonding question - some clarification  (Read 439 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Generator Bonding question - some clarification
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:21:22 am »

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this.....

I have used my Honda eu3000is generator on several outdoor events and it has worked well for me thus far.
The stages have been all wood, or grassy area (think "in a field"), or an automobile trailer... (hey, a gig is a gig)....
To date I have never grounded the Honda...

Over the past year I acquired a second (used) eu3000is generator (the seller had the unit serviced/tuned up to spec at an authorized Honda service center - I was given the invoice and had called the place to confirm).
I have also purchased the appropriate "parallel cables" for the two units.

Moving forward I plan to use both units (simultaneously) to supply stage power as/if needs arise.

To bond/earth or not to bond/earth....?

Correct me if I am wrong:  My conventional reasoning seems to tell me that I should just plan on "grounding to earth" the units when I'm using one or two of them....plus ground-to-stage in the event of an aluminum stage .....

Pardon my ignorance: Is there ever such a thing as "over grounding"???

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Generator Bonding question - some clarification
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 12:15:05 pm »

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this.....

I have used my Honda eu3000is generator on several outdoor events and it has worked well for me thus far.
The stages have been all wood, or grassy area (think "in a field"), or an automobile trailer... (hey, a gig is a gig)....
To date I have never grounded the Honda...

Over the past year I acquired a second (used) eu3000is generator (the seller had the unit serviced/tuned up to spec at an authorized Honda service center - I was given the invoice and had called the place to confirm).
I have also purchased the appropriate "parallel cables" for the two units.

Moving forward I plan to use both units (simultaneously) to supply stage power as/if needs arise.

To bond/earth or not to bond/earth....?

Correct me if I am wrong:  My conventional reasoning seems to tell me that I should just plan on "grounding to earth" the units when I'm using one or two of them....plus ground-to-stage in the event of an aluminum stage .....

Pardon my ignorance: Is there ever such a thing as "over grounding"???

The big concern is “Bonding” the neutral to the safety ground wire. Connecting the safety ground to “Earth” is a separate conversation.

The reason for “Bonding” is to make sure a short from hot to safety ground will trip a circuit breaker.
Example... the ground of all the audio XLR cables is connected to the safety ground circuit. If a hot wire, say from a band members badly repaired amp, touches a mic or cable connector, you have a safety hazard but the circuit breaker won’t trip unless the neutral is bonded to the safety ground.

I like having an Earth connection, bonding ground to neutral and bonding metal stage parts to safety ground.
Depending on where I get electricity affects which things I have to do.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:54:38 pm »

Yes & yes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:54:38 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.