ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System Processors  (Read 3442 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

System Processors
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:59:47 AM »

The Ashly 'System II' 4.24C DSP that I installed in a small Stage PA system is crapping out.  While I wait for a response from Ashly Support, I find myself searching for a newer replacement option.

I'm familiar with Meyer Sound Galileo, but it's almost certainly out of our budget.  dbx Drive Rack 'PA' series always felt cheezy to me, but I don't have experience with the 'nicer' 260 or 360.  Xilica XD4080 looks like it might fill the bill.

What else would you recommend?

Ideally, 4 in x 8 out.  Primary functions are simply Summing, EQ, Delay, and Limiting.  Diverse crossover filters, FIRs, configurable Card-based I/O, and drag-and-drop programming are not required (though not necessarily a problem either.)

Thanks!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: System Processors
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 02:42:27 AM »

Used Lake LM26?

Bought on last night as spare from a install.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »

The Ashly 'System II' 4.24C DSP that I installed in a small Stage PA system is crapping out.  While I wait for a response from Ashly Support, I find myself searching for a newer replacement option.

I'm familiar with Meyer Sound Galileo, but it's almost certainly out of our budget.  dbx Drive Rack 'PA' series always felt cheezy to me, but I don't have experience with the 'nicer' 260 or 360.  Xilica XD4080 looks like it might fill the bill.

Ideally, 4 in x 8 out.  Primary functions are simply Summing, EQ, Delay, and Limiting.  Diverse crossover filters, FIRs, configurable Card-based I/O, and drag-and-drop programming are not required (though not necessarily a problem either.)

Thanks!

If this is an install, why are you looking processors based on mobile use? Look for an install processor. A BSS BLU100 or Qsys 110f would work.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:06:57 AM »

Xilica XD4080 looks like it might fill the bill.

The Xilica is a powerful piece of kit and will give you years of service. I've had one for 9 years now with no issues whatsoever .

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:59:11 AM »

2nd the Core110f for install. (or even live/mobile with a little extra effort)

If you want to stay fully 1RU mobile, the Linea Research (or Danley) ASC48 might be a better option than the Xilica.
I like the AES input routing via XLR as opposed to DB-25 breakout on the XD-4080. 
Also, the ASC-48 has a slick linear phase Linkwitz-Riley crossover implementation that can be adjusted on the fly and still maintain relative passband timings.
More crossover topologies...both peak and rms limiters...
And a sliding freq sub limiter,... and a couple more tricks. 
The only thing missing imo, is capability to load user generated FIR filters. The XD-4080 allows this, but the tap count is insufficient  to do much with.
So neither one really has that imo.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »

Another Ashly, the Xilica previously mentioned, or a London Blu-100.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

doug johnson2

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »

I recently ran across  Bi-Amp Nexias and Audias in an install and was pretty impressed by the flexibility and quality.  The Audia Flex has even more flexibility and if you can go used, you may have to hunt to find one the has the right combination of I/O, they can be bought used on Ebay for next to nothing.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:47 PM »

Thanks!

Ashly Protea 4.8SP is an excellent cost effective replacement for your 4.24C. The menu structure on the unit will be very familiar and the DSP algorithms are similar enough that your existing settings will port to the new unit with a minimum of fuss. 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »

Ashly, Xliica, Jupiter.

While I like Ashly, they're a bit behind the curve IMO. It's getting annoying.

Really like our Xilica even though it is 'older' it still has a ton of good features.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »

Turns out that Ashly is willing to repair this unit for a nominal bench fee, so that's a far more cost effective solution than a replacement.  Given that this is an older discontinued product I was pleasantly surprised to get an RMA so quickly. 

I must say, I've been very pleased with their support over the last couple years, specifically with their PEMA install amps and the iOS remote app to control them.  Cool stuff.

So, thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I'll keep this all in mind for the next round...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.