ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: srx 800 series  (Read 2753 times)

Brian Hancock

srx 800 series
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »

i've asked a hand full of people but figured i'd ask here too ...

this used to be the link on jbl website srx 812 ...

https://www.jbl.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dwd43fbf7d/pdfs/JBL_SRX812_SpecSheet_10 26 15.pdf

its been updated after i asked a few questions recently too no longer include xti amps

from a customer perspective its not ideal, and I realize it has to do with processing power in the amps etc but the xti line has not really been updated in 5 years while still being pushed from an advertising angle as a midline solution just not congruent from a customer perspective … like HD = touring, XTI = portable, XLI = jrx etc etc. seems logical ...

lists xti and 360 specifically

now suspiciously its gone and only lists hd amps which is great but no one needs to power an $900 speaker with a $12000 amp ?? (retail)

only has this: https://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elements/resources/20633_1576610337/JBL_SRX818S_SpecSheet_11_11_19_original.pdf

anyway thanks would love to know if anyone with a dbx360 can share what if any presets are available for speakers ... the online list doesn't seem to contain specific speakers and maybe thats the point not sure ... anyway thanks!!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: srx 800 series
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »

The dbx downloads page has settings for the SRX712, but nothing for SRX8 series. If you want to view the 712 settings you can download the Venu360 app and load the settings in it offline.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:58:48 PM »

I know this is subjective but I don't see an XTi series amp on crown's website that has enough power output to even power an 812. The 812 is rated at 3200 peak into 8 Ohms on the spec sheet and you would need to run an XTi amp bridged to do that. Now I know that the "watts" don't mean anything but as a manufacturer that seems like a valid call to make when choosing which amplifier range to match with your boxes.

To put it into perspective the XTi 6002 won't even match the listed program rating of the SRX812 passive. Again I know that that doesn't really matter. Granted none of the HD series amps will even get close to the peak power rating of an 812 but maybe JBL recommends you match amplifier power to program?

I'm not in the JBL/HARMAN ecosystem at all so take it with a tablespoon of salt.

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »

I know this is subjective but I don't see an XTi series amp on crown's website that has enough power output to even power an 812. The 812 is rated at 3200 peak into 8 Ohms on the spec sheet and you would need to run an XTi amp bridged to do that. Now I know that the "watts" don't mean anything but as a manufacturer that seems like a valid call to make when choosing which amplifier range to match with your boxes.

To put it into perspective the XTi 6002 won't even match the listed program rating of the SRX812 passive. Again I know that that doesn't really matter. Granted none of the HD series amps will even get close to the peak power rating of an 812 but maybe JBL recommends you match amplifier power to program?

I'm not in the JBL/HARMAN ecosystem at all so take it with a tablespoon of salt.

If you put 3200W into a SRX *anything* for more than few ms, you'll be sweeping up parts and inhaling toxic fumes.  Realistic input current for a passive SRX box is about 400W in the lows and 40W in the HF.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »

If you put 3200W into a SRX *anything* for more than few ms, you'll be sweeping up parts and inhaling toxic fumes.  Realistic input current for a passive SRX box is about 400W in the lows and 40W in the HF.

I did say take it with a tablespoon of salt and thanks for the clarification. I mean the powered boxes are rated for 2000w peak and they don't mention how that is distributed between the HF and LF driver nor what kind of limiting is in place within the DSP.

I can agree with the absurdity that Brain mentioned and it seems to me like JBL just doesn't want people to buy the passive version of the boxes since there is no way you could possibly power it without an overpriced amp. Maybe they expect you to be using the HD series amp long after you have replaced your SRX boxes?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:20:57 PM by Jean-Pierre Coetzee »
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »

I did say take it with a tablespoon of salt and thanks for the clarification. I mean the powered boxes are rated for 2000w peak and they don't mention how that is distributed between the HF and LF driver nor what kind of limiting is in place within the DSP.

I can agree with the absurdity that Brain mentioned and it seems to me like JBL just doesn't want people to buy the passive version of the boxes since there is no way you could possibly power it without an overpriced amp. Maybe they expect you to be using the HD series amp long after you have replaced your SRX boxes?

Entirely possible, Jean-Pierre.  The next models up, except for the VRX, require I-Tech HD.  Under the Harman umbrella it looks like JBL is concentrating on powered boxes for all the MI/pro-sumer market and adjusting Crown's amp model lines accordingly.  Crown has lots of installation-type products but fewer aimed at powering passive boxes in non-touring PA use.

The 3200W peak power rating at JBL is usually extrapolated from the long term average power handling.  We just did an EDM show with SRX728 powered by ITHD and with around 500W (I Tech front panel report) per sub, continuous, one could smell the heat at the box's ports.  Might have been easier if the subs hadn't been jumping around, too!  The idea that JBL products *need* an amp capable of the peak power rating is an urban legend on the order of Big Foot and the Loc Ness Monster.  Might an amplifier's clip light flash?  Yes, and if you can't hear the red light - meaning you do not audibly detect distortion - it's meaningless.  Note that Crown used to define clip lights flashing occasionally on peaks as being 1/8 power, and 1/3 power was characterized as frequent clip lights that remain illuminated for at least a couple of seconds.

The obsessive-compulsive in me likes to not see red lights.  I've learned to ignore some red lights when my ears do not confirm an audible condition.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:21:25 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »

I think JBL recommends amps that set between the continuous and program rating of their speakers. I know when I had my SRX 728's the literature suggested an amp capable of 1,600 - 3,200 watts. The 728 has a peak rating of 6400 watts if I am not mistaken.

For the new 800 series passive stuff, that would mean that they probably want you to use an amp between 800 - 1,600 watts. A much more realistic wattage to afford.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Brian Hancock

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »

Entirely possible, Jean-Pierre.  The next models up, except for the VRX, require I-Tech HD.  Under the Harman umbrella it looks like JBL is concentrating on powered boxes for all the MI/pro-sumer market and adjusting Crown's amp model lines accordingly.  Crown has lots of installation-type products but fewer aimed at powering passive boxes in non-touring PA use.

The obsessive-compulsive in me likes to not see red lights.  I've learned to ignore some red lights when my ears do not confirm an audible condition.

actually they have presets for the vrx900s for the xti2 amps ... speaking of i would think that the xti 6k would be pretty ideal for most of the srx line 1200w program stereo at 8ohms ... yes agreed if you took a 4x3500 or a 12000 and played it without the presets you would turn the drivers to dust at 3000 watts for any period of time beyond milliseconds.

i saw the presets for the 712's and i'm sure the boxes are not that much different and quite frankly we own a ton of jbl stuff, their rep was in our shop a few weeks ago so very familiar with their products etc.

the 2 things i was mainly interested in was using xti 4k/6k with the 812's or drive rack (any) with a qsc 3402 4 boxes 2 bridge stereo - little under powered but again i'd imagine it holds up fine until the very last 5% of the capabilities of the speaker.

scottstephens

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 09:24:44 AM »

I think JBL recommends amps that set between the continuous and program rating of their speakers. I know when I had my SRX 728's the literature suggested an amp capable of 1,600 - 3,200 watts. The 728 has a peak rating of 6400 watts if I am not mistaken.

For the new 800 series passive stuff, that would mean that they probably want you to use an amp between 800 - 1,600 watts. A much more realistic wattage to afford.

Back in the day, when I wanted to move heavy stuff, I powered my 728's with a Crown MA9000i. They kicked serious butt! I think it was somewhere around 3K watts per sub.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »

Back in the day, when I wanted to move heavy stuff, I powered my 728's with a Crown MA9000i. They kicked serious butt! I think it was somewhere around 3K watts per sub.

Yeah, and they'd have kicked butt with a smaller MA, too.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »

I used a bridged QSC PL3600 to get the highest level of thump from mine. I have used 1,200 watts ( per sub ) before too and it didn't disappoint. The only downside with the lower wattage was of course lack of headroom vs 3600 watts.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 06:31:01 PM »

I used a bridged QSC PL3600 to get the highest level of thump from mine. I have used 1,200 watts ( per sub ) before too and it didn't disappoint. The only downside with the lower wattage was of course lack of headroom vs 3600 watts.

If you didn't compensate for the +6dB increase in sensitivity, it just got louder, sooner.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »

Yeah, and they'd have kicked butt with a smaller MA, too.

As I read the first post I thought “how cute, I posed my 728 with ma12000i

Whoops

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.