ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: aural distortion  (Read 3990 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: aural distortion
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 04:55:25 AM »

We have all had the experience of trying to communicate with someone in the middle of a loud show. In order to be heard, a person leans in close to our ears and shouts. OMG this hurts! (Probably dangerous). And it might take several tries to understand what the person is trying to say. So, I was at this loud show and a woman wanted to tell me something. As I leaned my ear toward her she did something very bold. She reached her hand to the side of my face and pressed the tragus (outer ear flap . . . I'm not that smart, I looked it up) closed with her finger and shouted right up against my ear. I heard every word. It didn't hurt. And I was blown away by how effective it was.

What I remember originally reading was, I believe, from an an audiologist reference. I sure wish I could find that and stop thinking I imagined it!

Thanks again.

I usually do something similar - shout just behind their ear. Works every time.

FWIW, I find my ears also get quite distort-y at high SPLs, and will often sit in the car with earplugs in and the radio on before what I know will be a loud show.
Listening to the radio with earplugs allows my hearing to re-calibrate to what sounds good (or at least balanced) with earplugs in, and I can mix pretty well during the show.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: aural distortion
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 04:55:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.