ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: non pro sound advice on the lounge  (Read 4866 times)

Magnus Högkvist

Re: non pro sound advice on the lounge
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 02:57:04 PM »

I do this with most of my XLR and speaker cables as well. Sometimes AC cables too. While frowned upon by most, to me it's neat and quick. I don't snug up the knot, just enough to keep it from coming apart. And I can concur that I've never had a cable go bad as a result of this method.

I also prefer to tie the cable as long as it is done with the male end.

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »

I also prefer to tie the cable as long as it is done with the male end.

I prefer the evil of velcro - I always put it on the male end (so that it doesn't look bad on stage/camera), but I make sure to always wrap it around itself so that it's not a tangled mess at the snake.

I'm not a fan of the Home Depot stuff because it doesn't last long and is difficult to find the end to unwrap.  I have found that I really like the "one-wrap" from CableSys.com - I also have a color coding system, mine is for different campus venues (at a university), but you could easily make different cable lengths or types of cable different colors.  I found that 8" works great on standard mic cables, instrument cables, etc, and the 12" is better for longer 100' xlr, 25' power, speakon, etc.
https://www.cablesys.com/ethernet-connectivity/8-velcro-brand-one-wrap-strap-10-pack/

I do use tie line for long/heavy cables - analog snakes, 300' Ethercon, 100' NL4, and similar.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »

This small operator uses pre-made hook and loop strips for audio cables up to about 25' (8 meters) in length.  Longer cables and regular AC power cords ("extension cords") use tie line.  If my storage space was different, I'd probably use tie line for all the audio cables too, but my audio (and DMX) cable are wrapped in about a 9" (175 mm) coil.

For what it's worth, I use a clove hitch to attach the tie line to the cable. A larks-head knot will also suffice, but the clove hitch is neater and has a lower profile on the cable.  I rent out gear, and I find that having a captive fastener on each cable makes it less likely that I'll end up with a trunk of a tangled rats nest when the cables are returned.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 03:37:03 PM »

Where do you get the straps for your cables?
The only other style I liked was how Art W.'s old company (i think anyway) did it. A small string around the
cable that was tied up.
Hi Andy,

Glad STS is still remembered !
As you also might remember, I'm "digitally challenged" (missing fingers), so tying cord strings is not as easy for me as most. That said, still prefer the extra work of tying cord strings to trying to separate cords that the velcro has latched together in a mess (and other garbage that it picks up), as Tim McCulloch said "I'll take the tie line issues as the lesser of evils".

I use thin nylon cord and melt the ends to keep them from unraveling, knot the tie line on the male end of the cord, and secure the knot in place with electrical tape.

Art

Shane Ervin

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 04:26:00 PM »

Ditto.

I've been putting an overhand knot of the male end around cable coils for 40 years. I still use cables that go back that far. As long as you tension it by pulling on the cable, not the connector, I've seen no evidence of harm to the cable. And I don't have to find the string, or unstick the velcro, or deal with tape supply and disposal, or...

^^ This.

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »

I too just tie the cable around itself for anything flexible such as XLR and most DMX.  On heavier cable such as 11/4 speaker and 12/3 SOOW I use a shoelace tied around one end - colored to match the gauge (orange for 10/3, green for 12/3, etc.).  The cable stays tied-on so there’s no mess of string to sort out.  Hope this helps! 

Andy Olsen

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the encouragement here on PSW.

I had an early Friday night for once. I will check out all the links that were suggested.

When I was shopping for a system to buy, I got the advice on how much I'd end up spending on
cables, mics, and casing. No kidding. Hopefully this will help on the managing of all those cables!

Another issue that arose tonight was a stand for my Allan and Heath Q-Pac mixer.
I mix from stage, use an iPad on top of the cased up Q-Pac, and generally have the mixer's back
facing me so it's easier to wire up.(i only use the local inputs and outputs)

I have 2 of the smaller EWI road cases that I usually stack up to put the mixer on.
But I'm thinking maybe an amp stand would be better. Or perhaps in the future, one of those separate I/O
racks that I could put under the mixer to make plugging in easier.
I don't really need the extra inputs, just the form function would make the gig easier.

Oh well, lot's to learn here and on the gig.
All the shared knowledge here has been a blessing. Thanks again, and I'll get some cable management going.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 08:14:01 AM »

Andy, I have a larger EWI road case that my board sit on.  Underneath I have drawers to put stuff in, mics, cable testers, adaptors, DI boxes... you get the idea.  My backup power supply and CAT cable roll also fit underneath.  Roll into the gig and all is there.  I have one larger rolling case for all my cables, power cords, and surge protectors.  I bought two of these, one for front and one for backline!  They at the ticket!  For me!  LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Talent-SB14-32-Stage-Multi-Outlet-Extension/dp/B072YNJZ8F/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=Multi-Plug+Extension+Cord&qid=1579957935&sr=8-14

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Talent-SB14-32-Stage-Multi-Outlet-Extension/dp/B072YNJZ8F/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=Multi-Plug+Extension+Cord&qid=1579957935&sr=8-14

I have two similar units; one with yellow cable (which is easier to spot on a dimly-lit back stage area when muso's are setting up...and the drummer can work around it as he sets his drum throne) which I run behind the band for backline.  The other with black cable that runs across the front of the stage for pedal boards and such.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 12:26:05 PM »

Thanks all.

Mike P. As usual, that’s what I was looking for! Thanks.

Don T. Williams. So should I capitalize and put a space between my first
and last name?
It doesn’t matter to me. I thought I’d done it right. Sorry.

Thanks for correcting that Andy.  Its a small thing that helps keep things professional.  There is a "New Members - Read Before Posting" in the forum headings that explains why.  I'm not trying to be a PITA.  You can already see that we are all willing to help -really!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 12:26:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.