ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: non pro sound advice on the lounge  (Read 4749 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: non pro sound advice on the lounge
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »

My pet peeve on the velcros is trying to find the end to open them.
I keep meaning to try melting the hooks for 1/2" or so at the tip, so there is a tab to grab.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Andy Olsen

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 12:45:59 AM »

Thanks all.

Mike P. As usual, that’s what I was looking for! Thanks.

Don T. Williams. So should I capitalize and put a space between my first
and last name?
It doesn’t matter to me. I thought I’d done it right. Sorry.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 03:10:49 AM »

Myself, and just about everyone I know uses insulating tape. I buy a very cheap product from Poundland. £1 for five rolls.  It's fairly useless in its intended role, but is perfect for cables as it doesn't stick to anything except itself!

Steve.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 08:37:25 AM »

Rolls of die cut Velcro straps in various sizes at Tape Works.

https://www.thetapeworks.com/tape/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33_145

They are also a great source for tie line, Procell batteries, gaff tape, board tape, spike, etc.

Best regards,

John

randy amos

• SW Florida
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »

No connection, other than a satisfied customer, to Audiopile, but I use and like these:

https://www.audiopile.net/VEL-V

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »

Stage-handing and seeing how other shops did their cables led me to a couple of conclusions, the first is:  every way of tying/restraining coils of cable have shortcomings.  Second?  Of all the ways I dislike velcro the most

Ditto.

I've been putting an overhand knot of the male end around cable coils for 40 years. I still use cables that go back that far. As long as you tension it by pulling on the cable, not the connector, I've seen no evidence of harm to the cable. And I don't have to find the string, or unstick the velcro, or deal with tape supply and disposal, or...
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jay Marr

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 11:53:22 AM »

Rolls of die cut Velcro straps in various sizes at Tape Works.

https://www.thetapeworks.com/tape/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33_145

They are also a great source for tie line, Procell batteries, gaff tape, board tape, spike, etc.

Best regards,

John

Home Depot sells something similar and it comes in rolls.
I use that on all my cables...works awesome and is not expensive (comes in rolls of 50).

So my advice is go to Home Depot and go look at what's there.  They have what you need.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »

At my normal venue we’ve settled on the least worse option as Planet Waves bunge ties:

Cable ties

We put them within 6” of the male end and then add a couple of wraps of rubber splicing tape to keep them from sliding down the cable. Yea, they still can complicate untangling cables at the end on the night but they don’t stick to themselves nor the carpeted stage. One downside is that they are a fixed length — 6-9 cables in a wrap seem to make a good fit — so wrapping our 10, 15, 25, and 30’ mic cables requires each to have different loop size. Not as bad as it seems as the diameter of the resulting coils serves to reinforce the color coding of the different cable lengths. I have previously used Velcro and did, as Dave G notes above, take a hot iron and melt the hooks off of the last 3/8” of each strap to make it easier to grab. Upside of Velcro is that they can adjust to different diameters. I can certainly see where the big boys like Tim roll cables up on spools rather than mess with ties.

ps. For power cables I use tie lines.
..db

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »

First off, welcome to the forum! This is exactly the place for people like you, and even the big guys are happy to give advice to the little guys, even the ankle biters, although it's not always what they want to hear. You can learn a lot from this forum though, I know I have over the years.

I use some premade Velcro straps for little things, but generally speaking I make my own. They look similar to the Hosa brand that Mike Pyle posted, but since I make them myself they can be any size and length that I need, with any size opening depending on the connector it needs to slip over.

I typically use 1" width for normal cables like XLR and 1.5" for heavier ones like power. Rolls of Velcro are cheap. They're easy to build, and a normal household sewing machine does the job perfectly. My sewn straps seem to be much more durable than the heat welded ones that are available commercially.

I also like that I can write the cable length or any other information I want on the back with a silver Sharpie. You can't do that with the double sided stuff. I've been making my own for at least 15 years and I doubt I'll ever have reason to change.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Paul Miller

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »

I've been putting an overhand knot of the male end around cable coils for 40 years.

I do this with most of my XLR and speaker cables as well. Sometimes AC cables too. While frowned upon by most, to me it's neat and quick. I don't snug up the knot, just enough to keep it from coming apart. And I can concur that I've never had a cable go bad as a result of this method.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.