ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on picking the right processer.  (Read 3859 times)

Bryan Neil

Need advice on picking the right processer.
« on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:48 PM »

I started with looking at the I5, but it doesn't have hyperthreading and from what I researched it gives a boost when it comes to editing. Now I am looking at the I7 930 2.8 vs the I7 3700 3.8. both have hyperthreading, both are quad core. The I5 is 6 core but doesn't have hyperthreading. Here is a link to the 3 side by side.

I am thinking the I7 3700 the best choice, what do you think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/qjMFf7,Vjzv6h,T47v6h/

Never mind on the I7's i just noticed they are the wrong socket type. I need the LGA 1151

I currently have the G4900 dual core 3.1, this system was originally set up to just record to pc and I still wonder why our previous tech went with this one, and put a mcro motherboard in a full ATX case. I would think that for video editing and from what I have researched, that the I5 would be a substantial stup up from what I have. Just would it be enough. I have definitely seen some others, just our church is small with a small budjet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:16:42 PM by Bryan Neil »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Need advice on picking the right processer.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:52:54 PM »

I started with looking at the I5, but it doesn't have hyperthreading and from what I researched it gives a boost when it comes to editing. Now I am looking at the I7 930 2.8 vs the I7 3700 3.8. both have hyperthreading, both are quad core. The I5 is 6 core but doesn't have hyperthreading. Here is a link to the 3 side by side.

I am thinking the I7 3700 the best choice, what do you think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/qjMFf7,Vjzv6h,T47v6h/

We literally can't answer this question. We don't know what it is you need to do with this PC.

Also, this is an audio forum primarily. Tom's hardware might be a better place to find this out.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »

We literally can't answer this question. We don't know what it is you need to do with this PC.

Also, this is an audio forum primarily. Tom's hardware might be a better place to find this out.

+100%

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »

Best choice for what?  Grandma looking at facebook?  Cheapest option you can find.  Working production machine for editing where you pay someone to do work on the machine?  Get what the software vendor recommends. :)
Brian Jojade

Bryan Neil

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »

Video editing, sorry forgot to specify. I know  this is primarily for audio but  I thought it was worth a shot to ask about the video since I have seen other post on this matter.

Bryan Neil

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »

Best choice for what?  Grandma looking at facebook?  Cheapest option you can find.  Working production machine for editing where you pay someone to do work on the machine?  Get what the software vendor recommends. :)

And half the time they don't know what they are talking about. ;D

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »

Video editing, sorry forgot to specify. I know  this is primarily for audio but  I thought it was worth a shot to ask about the video since I have seen other post on this matter.

Video editing is wide open.  You need to check with the vendor of the application you intend to use for the requirements. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »

Video editing is wide open.  There is simple video cut editing, where just about anything would do, to more advanced editing and rendering which can use more horsepower.  The catch is again, knowing what the exact software can take advantage of. Some software can use more cores, others not so much. In any case, with video, you want as much machine as you can afford. You’ll find a way to use it!
Brian Jojade

Bryan Neil

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »

Video editing is wide open.  There is simple video cut editing, where just about anything would do, to more advanced editing and rendering which can use more horsepower.  The catch is again, knowing what the exact software can take advantage of. Some software can use more cores, others not so much. In any case, with video, you want as much machine as you can afford. You’ll find a way to use it!
Ask a simple question and can't get a simple answer this why I don't like forums have a nice day

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »

For simple questions, I usually just ask Siri.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.