ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mesh Access Point for Dummies  (Read 4804 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Mesh Access Point for Dummies
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:30 AM »

I currently use an Apple Airport Express to run my M32R from an iPad.  I had problems at an outdoor downtown location with too other many routers and I had a number of drops during the show.  It would be nice to set up a better wireless network that would be reliable in most traveling types of applications?

I have tried to read this section for ideas and know enough about routers, etc, just be dangerous.  I see that some have had good results with an "Access Point".  Ubiquiti seems to be a brand mentioned, specifically a mesh system?  I could use a Macbook Pro or laptop to set the system up, but would prefer to not have to use a laptop during gigs, one less thing to turn on and hook up.

There is a chance that I am way off base and not asking the right questions?  I'm looking for a reliable way, avoid drops, hide a network and use wifi to control my Midas board?  Lastly, iot would be nice to increase the range of my router that I could control the board from, more than 30-40 feet?  Any chance someone would be willing to post or PM me an affordable solution?  I would need to know recommendations for purchase and have a general idea of how to set up the access point and hook it up to my board.  If that's what's recommended?  I'm not a network administrator, so please forgive my ignorance!  It might be nice to update or create a sticky with this type of info?  Thanks for your assistance!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:51:53 AM by Mark Norgren »

Taylor Hall

Re: Mesh Access Point for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:41:29 AM »

I would invest first in a better router. Specifically one able to make use of external antennas with something like an SMA or UFL connector on the back. The Airport Express was never known for its incredible range, and something more modern might give you better results. Also, like any other wireless deployment, channel coordination could help you as well. A quick signal scan would show you what wifi channels are the most congested and you may find that manually switching to a less cluttered one will help.

Pretty much any ASUS router can be set up to work as a repeater as a cheap alternative to dedicated enterprise APs. There again, though, this idea relies on the strength of the signal from your FOH position, so if that is lacking you'll be hamstrung in how far you can reach out.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »

I currently use an Apple Airport Express to run my M32R from an iPad.  I had problems at an outdoor downtown location with too other many routers and I had a number of drops during the show.  It would be nice to set up a better wireless network that would be reliable in most traveling types of applications?

I have tried to read this section for ideas and know enough about routers, etc, just be dangerous.  I see that some have had good results with an "Access Point".  Ubiquiti seems to be a brand mentioned, specifically a mesh system?  I could use a Macbook Pro or laptop to set the system up, but would prefer to not have to use a laptop during gigs, one less thing to turn on and hook up.

There is a chance that I am way off base and not asking the right questions?  I'm looking for a reliable way, avoid drops, hide a network and use wifi to control my Midas board?  Lastly, iot would be nice to increase the range of my router that I could control the board from, more than 30-40 feet?  Any chance someone would be willing to post or PM me an affordable solution?  I would need to know recommendations for purchase and have a general idea of how to set up the access point and hook it up to my board.  If that's what's recommended?  I'm not a network administrator, so please forgive my ignorance!  It might be nice to update or create a sticky with this type of info?  Thanks for your assistance!

I use this one with excellent results

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1089828-REG/tp_link_cpe510_5_ghz_300.html

i use it to control an X18 mixer from my ipad , android tablet and phone it have 500mW of power and 13dBi of gain dual polarized antennas
since it is 5Ghz it is immune to all the crap that live in the 2.4Ghz spectrum

i have adjusted the output on mine to 25% of total RF output and i can tweak the X18 from anywhere on a big ballroom or club's
certainly more than 50' , with my setup i can go as far as 200', havent tried more than that but we do not mix from 2 blocks away :D

some of the features of the CPE510 below:

Wireless signal quality indicators:
Signal strength/noise/transmit CCQ/CPU/memory
Monitors: Throughput/Stations/Interfaces/ARP/Routes/WAN/DHCP
Spectrum analyzer
Speed test
Ping
Traceroute

it have POE and it is wate proof
it was designed to be outside on a pole

I am very satisfied with it
it is a night and day difference from the internal "AP" that the x18 have
it is slow and slugish, with the CPE510 you can see all the meters and EQ spectrum analyzer  move smooth and in real time

my 2 cents.
Rolando
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:44:44 AM by Rolando Saenz »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 12:45:09 PM »

AGAIN, it may be "semantics" to you all, but what you need is a better ACCESS POINT.  YOU DONT NEED A FUCKING ROUTER.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »

I started this thread:
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=171874.70
......back in september and I couldn't be happier with my results from using my existing Airport Express in conjunction with the Ubiquity mesh as an extender. 
I had exactly the same problems as you - no issues until I had to be some distance from the router or/and was in an area with a high wifi traffic.
I had the choice of eliminating the AE and using the mesh as stand alone WAP but chose this method instead so I wouldn't have to assign a static address to everything plugged into my switch. I have had ZERO drop outs since using the mesh and I am happy I chose this route.
At some point I might eliminate the AE when I get time to set everything up for now - it works. 
The Ubiquity Mesh is definitely NOT plug and play so if you do choose to do the same you might want to ask for help from one of the folks here experienced in networking - as did I!...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »

The most simple way to look at it is you need your device to talk to a wireless access point within your network. That access point should be as close as possible to your device. The further away it gets, the slower the signal, and longer the latency.

If you can run a wire to each access point, you can put access points wherever you want. Give them the same SSID and password, and your device will connect to whichever one has the strongest S/N ratio.  It's not too difficult.

You can also set up wireless mesh networks, however realize that each wireless hop means a slower connection and more latency.  Wired is ALWAYS going to be better.

Generally, what I'll do is put an access point on each side of the stage and one at FOH.  All hardwired into a single network.  Using POE means all I need to do is have a cat5 connection and we're good to go.  Easy. Reliable. Inexpensive.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »

AGAIN, it may be "semantics" to you all, but what you need is a better ACCESS POINT.  YOU DONT NEED A FUCKING ROUTER.

Wow, Tim raising his voice. lol

BTW I grabbed a Mictrotik router board which while it does have a router you won't use it does have a PoE port for an extra AP and a wonderful AP built in.  The fact it has a DHCP server and a useful web interface make it far more approachable for the non-network savvy.

I think it performs as well if not better than the Ubiquity in the RF department and it is cheap.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »

I use an old router (sorry Tim!) which is fairly average on the reception with the stock antenna. The key is that the antenna is detachable, whenever I know I need some more oompf to the Wifi I connect my extremely cheapo aliexpress directional antenna to the router and elevate it as much in the open as I can. Where I have one bar from the Apple Airport I have full bars with my own setup.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:27:22 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »

While I am on board with what you are trying to get across.....good luck!
I have adopted the correct nomenclature at your ...er...how shall I put this...guidance and urging ;D ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:42 PM »

While I am on board with what you are trying to get across.....good luck!
I have adopted the correct nomenclature at your ...er...how shall I put this...guidance and urging ;D ;D

I've been known to joust with windmills, too...  ;D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.