ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shut down LED fixtures or just zero them out and leave powered up?  (Read 5501 times)

Scott Hofmann

Re: Shut down LED fixtures or just zero them out and leave powered up?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »

All fixtures are in hard to reach locations with no existing switches. If I figure out a way to turn them on/off it will be an all new system put in specifically for this.

Right now I have a lot of fixtures with fans, but they are temp controlled. They don't run when the fixtures are cool.

I think I'm convinced to start powering down the fixtures, but I will have to do some real thinking on this because the whole rig (this is a church) needs to be as automatic as possible for the maintenance guys or whoever can come in and just turn stuff on whenever they need to. I was going to put in a Doug Fleenor wall plate/preset box this year. The power infrastructure complicates this a little.

Not really sure why the Fleenor preset box would complicate a DMX relay solution. If you get the POPO (each button is push on/push off) version, you can have all presets active at the same time if you wish. So Preset #1 could be "DMX relay ON", then punch any other preset(s) to get the scene you want. Pushing OFF will turn everything off.
Scott Hofmann

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 10:15:32 PM »

I agree that this is an excellent application for DMX relays.  You can even make them a dedicated universe if so desired.  Thinking outside of the box, I know they also make remote-controlled circuit breakers.  I don’t have enough experience to speak of their applicability or code-compliance in this application though - that’d be something to consult your electrician about.  Good luck!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »

The ETC Foundry DMX relay is a good product for a permanently wired solution. Very reasonable price too.
https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Architectural-Systems/Foundry/Zone-Controllers/Relay-Controllers/Features.aspx
Scott Hofmann

Steven Cohen

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »

Tim,

Can the circuit breakers be shut off when the fixtures are not in use? I realize this creates anther step in a situation where automation is desired, but turning off the breakers is a cheap, effective solution.

All fixtures are in hard to reach locations with no existing switches. If I figure out a way to turn them on/off it will be an all new system put in specifically for this.

Right now I have a lot of fixtures with fans, but they are temp controlled. They don't run when the fixtures are cool.

I think I'm convinced to start powering down the fixtures, but I will have to do some real thinking on this because the whole rig (this is a church) needs to be as automatic as possible for the maintenance guys or whoever can come in and just turn stuff on whenever they need to. I was going to put in a Doug Fleenor wall plate/preset box this year. The power infrastructure complicates this a little.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 11:50:30 AM »

Tim,

Can the circuit breakers be shut off when the fixtures are not in use? I realize this creates anther step in a situation where automation is desired, but turning off the breakers is a cheap, effective solution.

No.

It's not in a convenient place first of all, and I already get calls about "how do I turn on the lights" when all they have to do is push up one fader. Some of the people that use the system don't even know what a lighting console is.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »

Are you sure that automated lighting is best for this application?

No.

It's not in a convenient place first of all, and I already get calls about "how do I turn on the lights" when all they have to do is push up one fader. Some of the people that use the system don't even know what a lighting console is.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »

No.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »

Just another question Tim - are ALL your building’s lights on DMX or just the stage lights? 

I’m not sure how I’d feel about random people with no knowledge of lighting equipment having unsupervised free reign on a light board - especially with moving lights that are generally not idiot-proof. 

I’ve worked in a number of venues that have a “work lights” circuit so that housekeeping can clean and crews can load-in/out without needing stage lights on, and I’ve worked in other venues where everything is automated with control via touchpanels mounted on the walls.  The ones accessible to floor staff are highly restricted to prevent misuse of the system. 

The argument between DMX relays, remote-controlled circuit breakers, or manual circuit breakers becomes much less important at that point since it would all either be controlled by automation or only used by trained personnel.  Does that help at all?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »

I'm about to do an system simplification for a local venue.
Their portable tripods have a small relay device on each that powers the lights when it sees a DMX signal.
At least I think that's what it does.  I'll get more info when I go on site next week.
If this is what they do, you would only have to turn off the controller to power down the lights.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »

I like the DMX relays.  For our church, Pastor wanted house lights to be DMX controlled-someday we will upgrade the 8 chandeliers for now they have a mix of LED and CFL so dimming is an ugly option.  We also don't want the janitors or others messing with lighting control, so I set the 4 house circuits up with normally closed DMX relays-this way if the DMX is off the lights work the same way they have for years-but the DMX can over ride and turn them "off" when desired.

We have DMX controlled stage lighting-it's all fed from one 60 amp 3 phase panel.  My plan this spring is to use an inexpensive Northlight DMX relay to control a contactor that will power that entire panel down when the DMX control is off.

Like the others, I am leary of powerline issues when the system is not in use.  Knock on wood, but I have our media booth set up so that it is physically disconnected when not in use-in spite of being in Iowa with plenty of thunderstorms we haven't had any issues.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.