ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shut down LED fixtures or just zero them out and leave powered up?  (Read 5502 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

So all of my LED pars and Leko's etc stay powered up all the time. As long as they aren't being used the power draw is very low, and they seem happy to be left on 24/7.

I am about to install some movers that have gobo and color wheels though. Should I have them power down every time? Or just make sure the last scene is a "zero" scene that stops all rotation and puts everything in a non-used state?

These fixtures will be used once a week. If I power them down, they will (most likely) be turned on and not used 3 times a week. So is it better to leave them on and zeroed, or turned on and off several time a week?

These are Intimidator scan 305's for those interested. Bush league fixtures, but I want to know because eventually I'll add some spot fixtures to our big room too, and I'll go through this all over again.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Shut down LED fixtures or just zero them out and leave powered up?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:15:32 PM »

Personally I think I would want the fixtures turned off when not in use, at the budget end of the spectrum the integrated fans are going to have a pretty short life even without cigarette smoke or oil based haze clogging things up. Power cycling could be the difference between several years of use without any repairs vs as little as a few months before some of the fans need to be replaced.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 06:46:29 AM »

Hey Tim, I'll also chime in and say that I prefer moving lights to be powered down when not in use as well.  Aside from the fans running indefinitely, any power issues that your building experiences can lead to abnormal behavior with the fixtures - I once walked into a venue to find all the moving lights running an endless calibration cycle...  Some fixtures such as my older High End units have the ability to go into a dormant state - fans/lamp off but don't need to recalibrate when reactivated.  Unless your fixtures have a mode like that I'd vote to just power them down when not needed and unattended.  Hope this helps!

John Fruits

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:45:51 AM »

Another thing to consider if your lights are powered on all the time, thunderstorms and voltage spikes.  There have been cases where such storms have damaged the electronics of LED fixtures.  If there is a mechanical power relay in the circuit that won't happen when they are not in use.  At the lower budget end of things the ETC Foundry products might be suitable.
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/542413-etc-ufmp4-4-zone-mini-relay-panel
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »

We always power down and disconnect our fixtures at the end of the night when we have a multi-day event regardless of them being static or movers. Fan death, power surges, electrical fires, all good reasons to shut anything down that's not going to be used for a good while.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »

I'll echo everyone else, as well as what Chavet DJ told me - dimming a fixture to zero is not the same as hard cutting power.  Lower priced fixtures are more critical for this, as there is still heat build-up as long as power is on even if there is no light going out. 

DMX controlled relays are worth it and not crazy expensive.  For a couple small circuits, Chauvet Pro and many others have single circuit relays; for larger installs like most HoW (I assume your current application?) - Lyntec has some up to 10 circuit DMX controlled relays that don't break the bank. 

Another option is a simple relay panel, say Lyntec since I'm familiar with them, but IP or RS-232 control.  When the AV system is powered up, have that turn on the lighting relay panel as well.  At the end of the day, turn everything off, let it cool, then the master shut-down can also trip the lighting relays. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:38 PM »

I've experienced two major incidents of LED fixture damage due to fixtures not being completely powered down.
First was some kind of electrical power disruption in a one year old university building which wiped out the power supplies in over a dozen new Elation LED fresnels, as well as several computers. Did not affect the Altman LED cyc fixtures by the way.
Second incident was a city auditorium where a show had just ended, audience had left, a major storm hit before the lighting system was shut down, and a dozen Elation LED PARs had their power supplies wiped out (fixture fuses didn't even blow).

I'm now a firm believer in cutting power to all LED fixtures via relays when not in use, although it wouldn't have saved the LED PARs in the second instance because the system was still on.
Scott Hofmann

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »

It comes down to how difficult it is to turn them off.  Can you leave them on?  Yeah, probably.  Stuff without fans shouldn't be any issue at all.  Stuff with fans, as stated earlier, might suffer from a fan failure earlier.  Power surges and whatnot are always a concern as well.

If the question is as simple as should I flip the power switch or not, I'd say definitely flip the power switch.  When you leave stuff on and unattended, there's greater risk of something going haywire when you're not around.

Now, if you're putting a light in a hard to reach place and there's no easy way to switch power, it's not the end of the world to leave it on 24X7.  Electrical draw at idle would be extremely minimal. The cost of adding a switch would likely be more than a few years worth of phantom power draw.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »

It comes down to how difficult it is to turn them off.  Can you leave them on?  Yeah, probably.  Stuff without fans shouldn't be any issue at all.  Stuff with fans, as stated earlier, might suffer from a fan failure earlier.  Power surges and whatnot are always a concern as well.

If the question is as simple as should I flip the power switch or not, I'd say definitely flip the power switch.  When you leave stuff on and unattended, there's greater risk of something going haywire when you're not around.

Now, if you're putting a light in a hard to reach place and there's no easy way to switch power, it's not the end of the world to leave it on 24X7.  Electrical draw at idle would be extremely minimal. The cost of adding a switch would likely be more than a few years worth of phantom power draw.

All fixtures are in hard to reach locations with no existing switches. If I figure out a way to turn them on/off it will be an all new system put in specifically for this.

Right now I have a lot of fixtures with fans, but they are temp controlled. They don't run when the fixtures are cool.

I think I'm convinced to start powering down the fixtures, but I will have to do some real thinking on this because the whole rig (this is a church) needs to be as automatic as possible for the maintenance guys or whoever can come in and just turn stuff on whenever they need to. I was going to put in a Doug Fleenor wall plate/preset box this year. The power infrastructure complicates this a little.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »

All fixtures are in hard to reach locations with no existing switches. If I figure out a way to turn them on/off it will be an all new system put in specifically for this.

Right now I have a lot of fixtures with fans, but they are temp controlled. They don't run when the fixtures are cool.

I think I'm convinced to start powering down the fixtures, but I will have to do some real thinking on this because the whole rig (this is a church) needs to be as automatic as possible for the maintenance guys or whoever can come in and just turn stuff on whenever they need to. I was going to put in a Doug Fleenor wall plate/preset box this year. The power infrastructure complicates this a little.

https://lyntec.com/

You can do a simple one button all on/off or zone programable

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.