ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: redundancy or auto reboot  (Read 2194 times)

Ethan Rose

redundancy or auto reboot
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:06 PM »

This is a question about long term/permanent sound installations.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions about how to create a system that will reboot the computer if audio is not playing correctly?
For example - we have a custom pureData patch (custom audio software) running at a remote location on a windows 10 computer.  It is a simple patch connected to a motu 24ao playing back seamless looped audio files to different outputs of the interface.  Real basic. 

For some unknown reason yesterday it started making a squealing sound instead of playing back our source audio.  Perhaps  there was a brief power failure or someone unknown software glitch that created a problem.  Regardless, I'm wondering if any one has ideas on how to fix this.

Are there any hardware/software solutions that could sense that the audio was not playing back correctly and automatically switch to a redundant system? 

I know that dante has the primary/secondary solution, but as far as I understand that is only if signal is totally lost, not if it is corrupted.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: redundancy or auto reboot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:37:47 PM »

This is a question about long term/permanent sound installations.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions about how to create a system that will reboot the computer if audio is not playing correctly?
For example - we have a custom pureData patch (custom audio software) running at a remote location on a windows 10 computer.  It is a simple patch connected to a motu 24ao playing back seamless looped audio files to different outputs of the interface.  Real basic. 

For some unknown reason yesterday it started making a squealing sound instead of playing back our source audio.  Perhaps  there was a brief power failure or someone unknown software glitch that created a problem.  Regardless, I'm wondering if any one has ideas on how to fix this.

Are there any hardware/software solutions that could sense that the audio was not playing back correctly and automatically switch to a redundant system? 

I know that dante has the primary/secondary solution, but as far as I understand that is only if signal is totally lost, not if it is corrupted.

If you had a test tone playing out one channel and monitored that then that changing could be used as a trigger for some sort of event to happen. 

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 11:59:46 PM »

If you had a test tone playing out one channel and monitored that then that changing could be used as a trigger for some sort of event to happen.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/sw8

This may be of help for switching between redundant systems. Uses the tone mentioned above to trigger. You can link them together in blocks of 8.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:51:45 PM »

The USB version might be better, allows you to eliminate the Motu.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/sw8-usb

And there's a cheaper solution as well. This is a great company - I have their MIDI boxes and they are bulletproof.
https://www.iconnectivity.com/playaudio12
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »

RDL "radio design labs" makes audio sensing relays that the contact closure could trigger a reboot power down reboot on the computer.

Only problem with something like that would it has no idea of what good audio is, music, tone or noise is all the same to it. They do have an adjustable threshold detect level though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.