ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice about putting mics on their own channel?  (Read 3565 times)

Bryan Neil

Need advice about putting mics on their own channel?
« on: January 22, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »

I am the sound tech and video tech of a small Church. I am having to learn the video portion on the fly since too much drama was starting to happen with our video tech. If you know what I mean.

With that said, I had never really listened to our services that closely on dvd, and they do not sound that good.  I would really like to learn how to improve it. It is not so much the quality as it is putting the mics on their on channels. Currently we are using the VocoPRo 5805 4mic system and we have had good success with them for our application. I would like to get each mic on its on channel and eventually the rest of the instruments but for now just the mics.

Our video cam set on a bracket hanging from the ceiling and that is where we get our sound. The problem is the music is louder than  those with mics. I want to get those mics recorded on their own channels. At the moment i am using Roxio creator nxt7, I have Corel VideoStudio just haven't gotten it installed yet.

I hope I have explained this ok, I am not good at conveying what I am trying to do. Our church is roughly 100ft by 40ft and is block.

Also, we have an additional set of mics, the same kind of system, so we actually have 8 total. I need advice on what equipment I would need to do this. Being a small church we don't have a large fund and I am looking for the best inexpensive way to go. I read on another forum where one church was recording audio and video separate and then adding it later

Just need some advice on what I need. Oh Yeah almost forgot, we are currently using a 24 channel Behringer. Can't remember the model. I will get it tonight at church. If I have left anything out let me know.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Need advice about putting mics on their own channel?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »

I am the sound tech and video tech of a small Church. I am having to learn the video portion on the fly since too much drama was starting to happen with our video tech. If you know what I mean.

With that said, I had never really listened to our services that closely on dvd, and they do not sound that good.  I would really like to learn how to improve it. It is not so much the quality as it is putting the mics on their on channels. Currently we are using the VocoPRo 5805 4mic system and we have had good success with them for our application. I would like to get each mic on its on channel and eventually the rest of the instruments but for now just the mics.

Our video cam set on a bracket hanging from the ceiling and that is where we get our sound. The problem is the music is louder than  those with mics. I want to get those mics recorded on their own channels. At the moment i am using Roxio creator nxt7, I have Corel VideoStudio just haven't gotten it installed yet.

I hope I have explained this ok, I am not good at conveying what I am trying to do. Our church is roughly 100ft by 40ft and is block.

Also, we have an additional set of mics, the same kind of system, so we actually have 8 total. I need advice on what equipment I would need to do this. Being a small church we don't have a large fund and I am looking for the best inexpensive way to go. I read on another forum where one church was recording audio and video separate and then adding it later

Just need some advice on what I need. Oh Yeah almost forgot, we are currently using a 24 channel Behringer. Can't remember the model. I will get it tonight at church. If I have left anything out let me know.

Those are awful microphones BTW.  They have four outputs and I would hope that you have each connected to a channel on the mixer.  Likewise, would not each instrument go to a channel?

I am not sure I understand your question but to help you clean up your mix we need to understand your setup.

In the end the solution is going to be using an aux bux to mix the video feed separate from the service.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »

...Currently we are using the VocoPRo 5805 4mic system and we have had good success with them for our application. I would like to get each mic on its on channel and eventually the rest of the instruments but for now just the mics...The problem is the music is louder than  those with mics. I want to get those mics recorded on their own channels... we have an additional set of mics, the same kind of system, so we actually have 8 total.

How many mics do you actually need? The fewer the better. Knowing the mixer model will help.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:00:41 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Bryan Neil

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »

Looking to hook up at least 6. As I stated I will get the model when I go tonight. If I don't get it on here tonight I will get it tomorrow.

How many mics do you actually need? The fewer the better. Knowing the mixer model will help.

-Dennis

Bryan Neil

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »

Those are awful microphones BTW.  They have four outputs and I would hope that you have each connected to a channel on the mixer.  Likewise, would not each instrument go to a channel?

I am not sure I understand your question but to help you clean up your mix we need to understand your setup.

In the end the solution is going to be using an aux bux to mix the video feed separate from the service.

They have worked good so far. Any recommendations. I know aux stands for auxiliary, but, what is bux? One reason I like those mics is you can easily swap out modules and you can do an upgrade which includes all new modules and mic's for about $150 cheaper than buying the whole system. But I do wonder if we should look into getting wired mic's to add to what we have instead of adding another cordless system.

Bryan Neil

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:27:04 PM »

We currently have two computers in the sound booth, one is channeled into the board for playing music for the alter call and the special singers. The other one is for recording of the video.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 06:11:52 PM »

They have worked good so far. Any recommendations. I know aux stands for auxiliary, but, what is bux? One reason I like those mics is you can easily swap out modules and you can do an upgrade which includes all new modules and mic's for about $150 cheaper than buying the whole system. But I do wonder if we should look into getting wired mic's to add to what we have instead of adding another cordless system.

BUS not BUX sorry.

If you used quality mics you would not think those are acceptable.  The problem is that someone in your church thinks a $500 4 channel karaoke mic is appropriate.  Quality, reliable RF starts at around $700 channel.  Sounds like you have a wired mic budget. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 11:43:18 PM »

BUS not BUX sorry.

If you used quality mics you would not think those are acceptable.  The problem is that someone in your church thinks a $500 4 channel karaoke mic is appropriate.  Quality, reliable RF starts at around $700 channel.  Sounds like you have a wired mic budget.

I agree.  Spending $500 on those mics is really (REALLY) poor stewardship.  You can get 4 Shure SM58s with 25’ cables for that and have beer money left over.  Remember a $25 cable beats a $4000 wireless unit every day of the week for quality and reliability.  Plus the govt will never sell that spectrum out from underneath you.

Bryan Neil

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »

I agree.  Spending $500 on those mics is really (REALLY) poor stewardship.  You can get 4 Shure SM58s with 25’ cables for that and have beer money left over.  Remember a $25 cable beats a $4000 wireless unit every day of the week for quality and reliability.  Plus the govt will never sell that spectrum out from underneath you.

I came here to get suggestions and advice on what I need to do, not to be ridiculed for my microphone purchase. Yes I made the decision to buy those, we were just starting out and it is what we could afford. We are still a small church with a small budget. The main reason we went cordless is not having cords being dragged all over the church. I guess I am going to have to find out myself because so far no one has even tried to suggest a viable solutiong.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »

I came here to get suggestions and advice on what I need to do, not to be ridiculed for my microphone purchase. Yes I made the decision to buy those, we were just starting out and it is what we could afford. We are still a small church with a small budget. The main reason we went cordless is not having cords being dragged all over the church. I guess I am going to have to find out myself because so far no one has even tried to suggest a viable solutiong.

You are not being ridiculed. You are being helped. We can't help it if you don't like the answer.

We deal with wireless mics every day of the week and twice on sunday. Wireless is NO PLACE to save money. It is poor stewardship hands down. You had the budget for one decent wireless (Shure PGX maybe) and 4-5 Shure SM58's plus cables. The 58's will last the lifetime of the Church. The PGX wireless would last probably 10 years or more UNLESS the FCC makes it illegal. Which has happened twice in very recent history.

Don't get your feelers hurt because you made a mistake. It happens. Learn from it. People here replace Ebay crap mics every single day with something good which doesn't cost that much more. They are being replaced because after a few months, well "this mic got dropped and rattles" and this one can't go more than 10 feet from the reciever", and this whole 4 pack of mics quit working and I don't have the money to replace it! help!!!".

Now, back to your original question, you still haven't given us the info we need to actually help you.
Questions:
1. What mixer are you using for the room?
2. How are you feeding audio to the video recorder?
3. You stated you are getting sound from the camera mounted to the ceiling. Can you explain this better? Are you using the onboard mic to feed the video recorder?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bryan Neil

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 02:39:00 PM »

You are not being ridiculed. You are being helped. We can't help it if you don't like the answer.

We deal with wireless mics every day of the week and twice on sunday. Wireless is NO PLACE to save money. It is poor stewardship hands down. You had the budget for one decent wireless (Shure PGX maybe) and 4-5 Shure SM58's plus cables. The 58's will last the lifetime of the Church. The PGX wireless would last probably 10 years or more UNLESS the FCC makes it illegal. Which has happened twice in very recent history.

Don't get your feelers hurt because you made a mistake. It happens. Learn from it. People here replace Ebay crap mics every single day with something good which doesn't cost that much more. They are being replaced because after a few months, well "this mic got dropped and rattles" and this one can't go more than 10 feet from the reciever", and this whole 4 pack of mics quit working and I don't have the money to replace it! help!!!".

Now, back to your original question, you still haven't given us the info we need to actually help you.
Questions:
1. What mixer are you using for the room?
2. How are you feeding audio to the video recorder?
3. You stated you are getting sound from the camera mounted to the ceiling. Can you explain this better? Are you using the onboard mic to feed the video recorder?

Behringer EURODESK SX2442FX

We are getting Audio from the mic on the recorder. It sounds good, no problem with quality, just I noticed on a video where the singers were being drowned out by the music. Trying to get information on how to get those mics own there own channels into the PC. Even if I have to record separate and add match it later that is fine.

I get a little testy at times, sorry for that. That is just the way it seemed.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 05:58:41 PM »

As mentioned using a separate aux bus to create a video mix will be a start to,using a good isolating set of headphones select AFL on the aux feeding the video to set up a balanced mix for the video feed. You may need to go back and listen to it and make changes as needed.

Now to connect that audio feed to the video system, we'll need to know more about hardware your using for the video to help there.

If the mic on the camera is picking up more instrument level than vocal level I'm guessing that's more or less what it sounds like in the room.
Do you have a full drum kit and guitar amps blazing away?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:12:31 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »

Behringer EURODESK SX2442FX

We are getting Audio from the mic on the recorder. It sounds good, no problem with quality, just I noticed on a video where the singers were being drowned out by the music. Trying to get information on how to get those mics own there own channels into the PC. Even if I have to record separate and add match it later that is fine.

I get a little testy at times, sorry for that. That is just the way it seemed.

If you have a standalone recorder what does the PC have to do with it?  You say you have a standalone recorder and you want to vary the levels of individual instruments?  You can't do that, it only has one mic.

Are you micing your instruments into your board? 

Mike's comment was spot on too, the recorder is picking up the deficient mix, while you might be "used" to it in the room that's what it sounds like at that exact spot.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »

We are getting Audio from the mic on the recorder. It sounds good, no problem with quality, just I noticed on a video where the singers were being drowned out by the music.

These two statements are at odds with each other.

If you notice that singers are being drowned out by the music, then it does NOT sound good and there IS a problem with quality.

This problem is not caused by the el cheapo wireless microphones you have. It will not be fixed with better microphones. It will not be fixed with wired microphones. It will not be fixed with a different board, or a different camera, or a different loudspeakers. It might be fixed with education.

The problem is that the audio is being recorded from a single microphone at the camera location or the recording PC, so you are getting indirect, AMBIENT sound, not direct sound from the performers. Further, if you're using the camera's onboard mic, it is likely using audio compression (they call it "automatic gain control") which makes it even worse.

To solve this problem, you need to feed the video recording directly from your board. An AUX mix bus is great for this. you can feed your recording a different mix than your house, which will let you get a better mix in your recording. The house mix is usually inappropriate for recording or live streaming.

Once you've got that done, and have an acceptable mix in your recording, then we can talk about any quality issues with your selection of microphones or your board.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.