ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound TFX122man - any experience?  (Read 6683 times)

Dave Guilford

Turbosound TFX122man - any experience?
« on: January 22, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »

They look pretty sharp, but no one nearby has them for me to demo. Any suggestions or reviews from first-hand users?  How do they compare, tonally and spl , to qsc k12?

Steve Garris

Re: Turbosound TFX122man - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »

They look pretty sharp, but no one nearby has them for me to demo. Any suggestions or reviews from first-hand users?  How do they compare, tonally and spl , to qsc k12?

I have a pair and I'm going to write a review soon. In short, they sound a lot like my Yamaha DSR112's. So far, singers love them, but a guitar player that uses a pedal-board amp modeler didn't like them. They can get very loud and sound good doing it. A female vocalist in a rock cover band needed a super loud monitor, and it provided exactly that without feeding back, once I EQ'd it. I need to test them a little more though. I picked mine up with a discount coupon at $350 each shipped, so it was a no brainer.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 10:32:29 PM »

I purchased one for a small acoustic set up.  I liked the form factor, in that you could be more on top of it and still be within its sweet spot.  Out of the box, they are a little "chesty", but with the builtin DSP can be easily tamed.  The finish is a little delicate and easily marred, so you will want a proper bag, if not a case(s).  First run in the shop, they will get up go and sound decent doing it.  My go-to monitors have been SR4702-X boxes. These sound different; more mid rangey that the JBLs, but I think they're going to do nicely.  I will probably grab a couple more this spring and run them on a bigger stage to see how they do.  The handle is not well represented in the literature- it's on the bottom and took me way too long to find!
This space for rent

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:28 AM »

Dave, regarding the TFX122MA-N

I’ve used 6 of these for roughly 50-65 events since last year and not only do my clients love them, but I do as well. They do get pretty loud even for outdoor events, even for deaf lead singers ;)

They can sometimes be pretty difficult to ring out depending on your venue, which I find is a good thing, the more natural the sound the better. The only place I would opt to going with the larger 15” version would be for bass players and drummers.

In regards to how they measure up to QSC K12 or K12.2 models of which I have both, do don’t get as loud as K12/12.2 boxes as they are completely different boxes. The TFX are coax boxes so the horn and woofer shares the same space, as opposed to traditional boxes or the l12/12.2 where the horn is on one side of the box than the woofer.

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:10 AM »

In regards to how they measure up to QSC K12 or K12.2 models of which I have both, do don’t get as loud as K12/12.2 boxes as they are completely different boxes.

Soooo; do, or don't get as loud as the QSC's then?

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 12:38:42 PM »

Soooo; do, or don't get as loud as the QSC's then?

Haha... sorry, fat finger syndrome. They DO NOT get as loud as K12/12.2's, they do get pretty close though.

Lev Raber

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:01 PM »

To David and Dave, read the specs. QSC rates K12 at 132dB max, but Turbos rated only at 125dB max SPL.
Also nobody knows exact VC size of TFX 12" and 1" drivers. I understand it's tempting to pay $350 for something "sharp looking", but in real life you always get what you paid for.
As you can predict, I'm not a fan of either. That said, there are tons of good sounding, passive and powered wedges on the market. In 12" size look for minimum 3" VC for LF and at least 2-2.5" VC (and above) for HF drivers. You'll never go wrong with this choice, but it will cost you something in $700 range for passive and $1000+ for powered.
Just a thought.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »

If you do end up picking some up, I would highly recommend also purchasing some Tuki covers for them and just be aware that the encoder knob on the TFX's are a little bit sensitive and could fall prone to some damage if hit hard enough at the right angle during transport if not cared for properly, or you can just purchase a hard case for them and never have to worry about that. :)

I had one encoder knob that had a slight bend on it after I removed it from my trailer (it wasn't strapped properly, and moved during transport to the venue) and I was able to push it back in the right direction. Aside from that, they are pretty dam solid and work great.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/fullforcesound/media/D4C69234-00D1-4E9C-9775-20C0DBC9EA19_zpsvieyo1zp.jpg.html][/URL

Les Kanekuni

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 04:13:58 PM »

I like them.  They are more feedback-prone than our old DB Tech coaxial monitors, but less boxy-sounding and go louder.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:56:57 PM »

If you do end up picking some up, I would highly recommend also purchasing some Tuki covers for them and just be aware that the encoder knob on the TFX's are a little bit sensitive and could fall prone to some damage if hit hard enough at the right angle during transport if not cared for properly, or you can just purchase a hard case for them and never have to worry about that. :)

I had one encoder knob that had a slight bend on it after I removed it from my trailer (it wasn't strapped properly, and moved during transport to the venue) and I was able to push it back in the right direction. Aside from that, they are pretty dam solid and work great.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/fullforcesound/media/D4C69234-00D1-4E9C-9775-20C0DBC9EA19_zpsvieyo1zp.jpg.html][/URL

Sam,

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but did you modify the AC connector?

Tom

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 12:20:22 AM »

Sam,

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but did you modify the AC connector?

Tom

Hey Tom,
No, I didn't modify it, but I made custom siamese cables for my wedges. Using 16/3 SJOO AC cable and canare cable sleeved with Techflex and the ends with dual adhesive heat shrink. They have been working really well since July of last year and have been holding up extremely well. I ordered in bulk so making more cables for a few guys around here in Cali next week. Some of the pricing out there on these siamese cables are ridiculously expensive, but I understand those companies have huge overheads so I offer them much cheaper.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:21:41 PM by Sam Costa »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 04:07:54 AM »

We are testing out an FBT Ventis 112 on our shop.  It is more expensive than the turbaound and only tested in shop but it seems to be excellent. Available in active and passive.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 07:58:02 AM »

... but I made custom siamese cables for my wedges.

Very tidy work!

Do you experience any internal twisting after shrinking both ends of the Techflex?  I've always left one end free, but primarily have multiple balances cables inside longer runs.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 12:27:40 PM »

Very tidy work!

Do you experience any internal twisting after shrinking both ends of the Techflex?  I've always left one end free, but primarily have multiple balances cables inside longer runs.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
I have experienced internal twisting on the first couple of cables I made, to try and reduce that issue I started using 1/2" wide pieces of shrink tube every 18"-20" to hold it in place and it seems to be working just fine.

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »

To David and Dave, read the specs. QSC rates K12 at 132dB max, but Turbos rated only at 125dB max SPL.
Also nobody knows exact VC size of TFX 12" and 1" drivers. I understand it's tempting to pay $350 for something "sharp looking", but in real life you always get what you paid for.
As you can predict, I'm not a fan of either. That said, there are tons of good sounding, passive and powered wedges on the market. In 12" size look for minimum 3" VC for LF and at least 2-2.5" VC (and above) for HF drivers. You'll never go wrong with this choice, but it will cost you something in $700 range for passive and $1000+ for powered.
Just a thought.

Also not a fan of K12’s, but do you really believe or rely on those marketing numbers? I use K12’s, not by choice, and they sound like garbage long before 132 db. These are excellent sounding, small-format monitors, with enough output to easily work on any Lounge-level rock band stage. So when you tried them you didn’t like the sound?

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 08:19:57 PM »

I work with TFX112M-AN monitors in two different venues.  I frankly haven't been all that impressed, mostly because of the failed HF driver in one unit that took forever to get repaired.  Yes, they work and are inexpensive, but it seems you get what you pay for.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »

I work with TFX112M-AN monitors in two different venues.  I frankly haven't been all that impressed, mostly because of the failed HF driver in one unit that took forever to get repaired.  Yes, they work and are inexpensive, but it seems you get what you pay for.

Peter,
Not sure if you picked up a dud or not, if so that does suck, but I as well as 2 other local engineers and 3 customers here in my area picked up a total of 24 of these wedges in all and never had a HF failure or any other issues with these thus far, the most recent purchased I placed for my client was 4 months when they came back into inventory and he hasn't had any issues, matter of fact once all this pandemic  I alone have 6 in inventory and have at minimum 50+ shows with live bands, artists, corporate events, etc since their original purchase in early 2019.

I do recall ordering an encoder knob from the music group via their website and within 5 emails and 6 days later I had a new encoder to replace one that I had bent in my trailer during transport. Did you go through the proper channels via their website to order the correct item(s) required.

Best of luck to you in the future. Sorry to hear of your issues with the unit.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 03:10:15 PM »

One of my cross-rental friends bought 12 of these and has had two or three fail fairly quickly.  I don't know the details.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 03:10:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.