ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd FreeSpeak 2 Base 2 issue  (Read 1215 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Odd FreeSpeak 2 Base 2 issue
« on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:56 PM »

So i took out a FreeSpeak II Base 2 system out last week after having updated it's firmware to the latest and greatest.  My A2 did a basic setup with the usual small show things.  We had several channels on FS along with a Production channel that was assigned to 2-wire ports A and C.

Everything looked great until we went to test and realized that there were no audio paths passing audio.  That means no audio between BPs or base station or anywhere including the program input i was using on the station at FOH as a cue input.  Everything looked normal on the software with things lighting up when talk buttons were pressed as they should.  Just nothing passing audio.  After a bit of mucking about i finally just reset the base station to the default settings and poof, problem solved.  Kinda.

As i went about putting the show settings back i got to putting the Production channel into 2-wire Port C and I heard a relay click from inside the unit and all the audio paths once again muted everywhere.  Take the channel out of the Port and click everything comes back.  Back and forth several times with the same results every time.

So, lacking a clear plan i figured maybe there was a "null" issue causing some kind of feedback loop so i nulled Port C with nothing plugged into it [and no channels assigned to it] and Voila' all was solved.

So i've got some theories about what exactly happened here, but i'd love to hear from someone who actually knows.  Also, this is posted as a FYI for anyone that might have a similar issue, especially since it seemed to happen post firmware update, which may or may not have been a factor.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Odd FreeSpeak 2 Base 2 issue
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »

I hate com...... That is it
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »

Not the same issue, but we had something weird happen with beltpacks recently.

Is this the firmware that you still have to beg for, instead of it just being available on their website?

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »

As i went about putting the show settings back i got to putting the Production channel into 2-wire Port C and I heard a relay click from inside the unit and all the audio paths once again muted everywhere.  Take the channel out of the Port and click everything comes back.  Back and forth several times with the same results every time.

We recently had a 2 wire sled go bad on a helix base, and we have had problems with 2 wire ports on the FS2BASEII that have required warantee repair. Never sure why the issues happen, just know they did not work no mater what we did.. Give Keith Price a call he has had some recent issues.. 

Were you connected to another PSU? RTS or COM? How many BPs.. Were Both A and C ports connected to the same systems?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »

So i took out a FreeSpeak II Base 2 system out last week after having updated it's firmware to the latest and greatest.  My A2 did a basic setup with the usual small show things.  We had several channels on FS along with a Production channel that was assigned to 2-wire ports A and C.

I have seen loss of audio fixed by reboot... but not 2w issue.

latest files:
FreeSpeak II BASE-II Main Release           V1.5.1.14                                                       
FreeSpeak II 1.9 Beltpacks                      2.27.32.0
FreeSpeak II 1.9 Transceiver Antenna      2.6.28.0
FreeSpeak II 2.4 Beltpacks                      2.24.50.0
FreeSpeak II 2.4 Transceiver Antenna      2.2.49.0
PD2203 Splitter                                      SP0x010C

base FW needs request to cc....

Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »

We recently had a 2 wire sled go bad on a helix base, and we have had problems with 2 wire ports on the FS2BASEII that have required warantee repair. Never sure why the issues happen, just know they did not work no mater what we did.. Give Keith Price a call he has had some recent issues.. 

Were you connected to another PSU? RTS or COM? How many BPs.. Were Both A and C ports connected to the same systems?

Very simple system actually.  No other PSUs involved.  I was using the FS as power on Ports A and C.  4 BPs on Port A and 2 BPs on Port C.  Both ports were assigned to the same channel in the FS, but they were going to different strings of BPs so no interconnection there.

The beltpacks attached to Port C could talk to one another so they were being powered.  But as soon as i assigned the FS channel to that Port it killed all audio paths everywhere.  I disconnected everything from Port C and nulled it with nothing plugged into and the problem sorted itself out.  Connected everything back and everything worked just fine as it should.

I will ping Keith just to see if he's had any similar issues.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:55:49 PM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.