ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on "patchwork" wireless mic system  (Read 3627 times)

Sean Kent

Advice on "patchwork" wireless mic system
« on: January 19, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »

Hi everyone, appreciate you taking the time to read this and offer suggestions. I'm the volunteer audio director at a 500 seat church and looking for advice on where to go with our wireless mic setup.

The backstory: When we started several years ago, we used Shure ULX packs but switched to Sennheiser evolution g2 when the FCC changed the freq band rules (first time). We subsequently stuck with Sennheiser, but now have (2) G2 and (2) G3, plus (4) EW-D1 mics. We've managed to operate all these without any kind of antenna distribution system. I know, small miracle. :-)

So here's where I could use help - if you were in my situation and had about $4K to spend on new mics, what would you do? Would you swap out all mics and standardize on a specific brand/model? Just get rid of the old and add new?

I love the simplicity of the Sennheiser EW-D1 mics and despite their 2.4 Ghz band, we've had few issues. The 835 capsules sound amazing, too. But I'm also thinking about future spectrum availability balanced with reliability, and the ability to expand the system using antenna distribution. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sean Kent

Re: Advice on "patchwork" wireless mic system
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »

And in a related thread, which freq band is "safe"? https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,173009.0.html

Sean

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:58:27 PM »

Hi everyone, appreciate you taking the time to read this and offer suggestions. I'm the volunteer audio director at a 500 seat church and looking for advice on where to go with our wireless mic setup.

The backstory: When we started several years ago, we used Shure ULX packs but switched to Sennheiser evolution g2 when the FCC changed the freq band rules (first time). We subsequently stuck with Sennheiser, but now have (2) G2 and (2) G3, plus (4) EW-D1 mics. We've managed to operate all these without any kind of antenna distribution system. I know, small miracle. :-)

So here's where I could use help - if you were in my situation and had about $4K to spend on new mics, what would you do? Would you swap out all mics and standardize on a specific brand/model? Just get rid of the old and add new?

I love the simplicity of the Sennheiser EW-D1 mics and despite their 2.4 Ghz band, we've had few issues. The 835 capsules sound amazing, too. But I'm also thinking about future spectrum availability balanced with reliability, and the ability to expand the system using antenna distribution. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Personally - I'd retire the ULX and D1, and get some more EW100-G4 with E935 capsules (for the hand helds).  Later on look at antennas/distro - if you have line of sight and no issues, then keeping the 'antenna tree' a bit longer isn't too bad. 
My experience with D1, in a small church, line of sight, 40'-ish distance - was only 'OK'; if I could go back and re-do it would have been EW100. 

QLXD is great and what I've use most often for small/med churches, but EW100 is still solid.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 05:34:06 AM »

Personally - I'd retire the ULX and D1, and get some more EW100-G4 with E935 capsules (for the hand helds).  Later on look at antennas/distro - if you have line of sight and no issues, then keeping the 'antenna tree' a bit longer isn't too bad. 
My experience with D1, in a small church, line of sight, 40'-ish distance - was only 'OK'; if I could go back and re-do it would have been EW100. 

QLXD is great and what I've use most often for small/med churches, but EW100 is still solid.
I agree that this would be a good way to go.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Sean Kent

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:03:47 AM »

Thanks Caleb and Keith, appreciate the comments. I had such success with the D1 series that I bought 4, but I admit not doing my homework about future antenna distribution. I have about $2k invested in them but don't want to perpetuate the issue and buy more. I also thought about building a compatible distro system, but that won't work for my other frequencies.

I'm a fan of Shure products and the QLXD seems like a great system, but I can't get past the $900/unit price. For what I can spend now, I could buy 6 new EW100 with the 935 capsules (or even 8 of the 835) for the same price as 4 of the Shure QLXD (with the SM58 that I'm not crazy about).

In your opinion what makes the QLXD worth the price difference? If price wasn't an issue I'd buy them with KSM9 mics :-)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »

Thanks Caleb and Keith, appreciate the comments. I had such success with the D1 series that I bought 4, but I admit not doing my homework about future antenna distribution. I have about $2k invested in them but don't want to perpetuate the issue and buy more. I also thought about building a compatible distro system, but that won't work for my other frequencies.

I'm a fan of Shure products and the QLXD seems like a great system, but I can't get past the $900/unit price. For what I can spend now, I could buy 6 new EW100 with the 935 capsules (or even 8 of the 835) for the same price as 4 of the Shure QLXD (with the SM58 that I'm not crazy about).

In your opinion what makes the QLXD worth the price difference? If price wasn't an issue I'd buy them with KSM9 mics :-)
I have used the QLXD and ULXD systems and while great, the Sennheiser holds it's own for less money.
The EW100 is a strong product and priced well.
You can always sell your D1s.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »

I have used the QLXD and ULXD systems and while great, the Sennheiser holds it's own for less money.
The EW100 is a strong product and priced well.
You can always sell your D1s.

+1 on this.  The value pricing is certainly in the EW100 series.  They're pretty rock solid units.  Audio quality is surprisingly acceptable.

In my personal rig however, I use the QLD systems and have been extremely happy.  For the handheld transmitter, I find them easier for users to turn on and off vs how the power switch is on the EW100's. Also, my corporate customers love when I tell them that the signal is digitally encrypted, so others can't listen in on the meeting, nor could they slam another audio signal into the system. - Yes, that's happened, and it's not fun!
Brian Jojade

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 08:54:12 PM »

Overall I'm a Sennheiser fan, I like the sound of their capsules better.  With that said - EW100 is (quite good) analog with a low yet still present noise floor, while QLXD/ULXD is silent.  I'll defer to others that have looked at both through a spectrum analyzer to see how well they play nice with other RF.  The little I've played with analog and digital wireless together (Sennheiser and Lectrosonics) - the analog sounded slightly 'soft' while digital was more 'accurate'. 

The main reason for the switch from Sennheiser Evolution/2000 to ULXD/QLXD/AD?  It's 'Digital' and it must be better, so clients ask for 'Digital'. :)

Capsules - if you use dynamic, the E935 really is worth the cost over E835.  If I have to use a dynamic mic, I'll take an E935 or E935, thank you. 

If you use condenser, the SM86 is surprisingly good, not a fan of B87, KSM9 is great.  E965 is very good (very warm sounding, not as detailed HF) and KMS105 is extremely detailed.  I haven't used the d:facto capsule, but friend tried one and they then upgraded all their KSM9's for them.

Maybe someday I'll get EW100 beltpack and QLXD, same mics, and do a real comparison.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 11:38:34 PM »

+1 on this.  The value pricing is certainly in the EW100 series.  They're pretty rock solid units.  Audio quality is surprisingly acceptable.

In my personal rig however, I use the QLD systems and have been extremely happy.  For the handheld transmitter, I find them easier for users to turn on and off vs how the power switch is on the EW100's. Also, my corporate customers love when I tell them that the signal is digitally encrypted, so others can't listen in on the meeting, nor could they slam another audio signal into the system. - Yes, that's happened, and it's not fun!

+1 on the Shure QLXD's.  For my portable rig I have a case with 5 x QLXD receivers and distribution amp.  Have 1 receiver in a small rack by itself for small jobs.  Then a mix of 4 belt packs and mics, plus 3 hand helds.  So mix and match depending upon the requirements.  I always try to keep at least one spare receiver online in case of problems - there haven't been any thus far, but nothing is 100% reliable.

I haven't used the Sennheiser's, so no comparisons from me.  The QLXD's are super easy to use, change frequencies and pairing of any combination with everything running.

Wesley Key

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I recorded another test yesterday and seem to have eliminated the noise.  I will raise the camera tonight, level it, and continue to make progress forward.  I am aware that there are suggestions on here that I have not tried out yet.  I will keep working this as I have time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.