ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.5mm from iPod to TA4F into wireless transmitter.  (Read 4435 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
3.5mm from iPod to TA4F into wireless transmitter.
« on: January 18, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »

Would this work?

As most of you know, I sing through a wireless headset from FOH position.
I use a Shure system - pack and mic are TA4F connectors. I would like to play something from my iPod through the PA from my position and I have a short cable that was used for a Line 6 wireless guitar system. I could unplug my mic to do this OR use a second system I take as back up.
If I put a 1/4' to 3.5mm (1/8") adaptor on the 1/4" end to fit my iPod headphone output and plug the TA4F end into the transmitter pack, would this work without causing problems due to impedance mis-match etc.?

cable

adaptor
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: 3.5mm from iPod to TA4F into wireless transmitter.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »

Debbie, I think you would want to sum the stereo output from your iPad before you went into the 1/4" TS to TQ4 adapter. 

Something like an EWI "SUM-PSPP" cable, and change the 1/4" TS male end to a 1/4" TS female end?  (Sorry; I don't know how to insert a link from my iPhone to show the cable I'm thinking of. )
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:26:05 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »

Debbie, I think you would want to sum the stereo output from your iPad before you went into the 1/4" TS to TQ4 adapter. 

Something like an EWI "SUM-PSPP" cable, and change the 1/4" TS male end to a 1/4" TS female end?  (Sorry; I don't know how to insert a link from my iPhone to show the cable I'm thinking of. )

The iPod has the option to switch to mono output so there isn't a problem with converting stereo to mono.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »

The iPod has the option to switch to mono output so there isn't a problem with converting stereo to mono.

In that case.......
It sounds like the guitar cable is expendable, cut the 1/4 inch plug off and replace it with a 1/8 inch trs plug but only connect to the tip and ground sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:47:26 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »

In that case.......
It sounds like the guitar cable is expendable, cut the 1/4 inch plug off and replace it with a 1/8 inch trs plug but only connect to the tip and ground sleeve.

The adaptor does the same thing and leaves me the option to use the cable for an instrument in the future.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 10:00:21 PM »

Disclosure, my company (often me personally) makes these cables:
https://tcfurlong.com/product/icable-minitrs-ta4f-3-ft/

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 10:09:43 PM »

Disclosure, my company (often me personally) makes these cables:
https://tcfurlong.com/product/icable-minitrs-ta4f-3-ft/

Thanks Scott -This would be a good option if I needed to sum the stereo signal and didn't want to use an a adaptor - it looks like a nice product .... but if what I have will work without causing damage (which I'm trying to establish), I'd be foolish to not at least try it. 

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:46:15 PM »

I have used a XLR(f)-TA4F adapter (available from Shure) and a DI box for this purpose.

The TC Furlong adapters would be my choice for a ready-made solution, though.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »

Taken directly from the Shure website support page:

“How can I take the audio from my computer headphone jack and get it into the sound system using a wireless mic system?”
Three things have to happen:
1)     The audio signal level from the headphone jack must be attenuated (reduced) to Mic level.
2)     The stereo audio signal from the headphone jack must be combined into a monaural signal.
3)     The audio signal from the headphone jack must connect to the bodypack transmitter using a TA4F connector.
There are multiple ways to solve this situation, so let’s examine one method.
There are devices sold that provide #1 and #2 above.  One such device is the LTI 100 manufactured by Rapco.  The audio signal leaves the LTI 100 on a male XLR connector.  Connect this male XLR output to the Shure transmitter using the Shure cable WA310. Voila! This method also works for the headphone output of an iPod, an iPad, or other device that has a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Also, pro audio dealer T.C. Furlong, www.tcfurlong.com, offers a cable fabricated specifically to provide this function.

So #1 concerns me - the other 2, I already have in place.
How important is this? Could I simply not make sure to keep the output level down of the iPod or is that not enough to appropriately attenuate the signal from the iPod?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »

I would just turn it down and try it. I really don't think you will be blowing anything up. BTW does the pack provide phantom power? I can't remember if that is on a different pin for beltpacks but considering it's not mentioned by Shure I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.