ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Namm 2020  (Read 6908 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Namm 2020
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 04:33:03 PM »

d&b has a KSL 15" sub which vertical dimensions under 18" - perfect for installing under a stage and getting a lot of good clean output (I'm looking for exactly that situation). Unfortunately the price with required d80 amp is ridiculously high...

Wouldn't install it under a stage. It's fixed cardioid, frequency response and sound quality would be seriously compromised.

I'm sure it's a fine sub as long as it has enough air around itself to breathe properly.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »

Save yourself a lot of hassle and save up for a D:Live.
The SQ on the other hand is a major PITA, I prefer a M32 or a Si Performer instead.

YMMV, IMHO etc.

It's not my $ they just hire me regularly for shows & trust my opinion, they make decent gig $ but not dLive $. Their systems tech is also a trumpet-player and vocalist, he likes A&H, otherwise I'd recommend a Performer as well- I have two of them and two Expressions, love the workflow & sound.

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »

he likes A&H, otherwise I'd recommend a Performer as well- I have two of them and two Expressions, love the workflow & sound.

I also prefer the workflow of the SiPerformer - especially for my situation at a university where I hire students to mix events, most of whom have just a small amount of experience with consoles. However, that said, I made the decision this year at NAMM to stop investing in Soundcraft consoles - the company's investment in these consoles seems to have gone out the window years ago, and it was very obvious at NAMM.  They did not have a single Si console at their booth, they had one Vi1000 being used to run their live performances, and they had one Notepad, and then of course a few Ui consoles.

A similar thing happened last year with no Si consoles at their booth - I have intentionally gone to their booth for the past 5+ years to ask for updates and feature requests. Years ago they had the consoles "proudly" on display and would love to talk about them. Though nothing every came of my requests, at least I knew they were putting in some effort on this front. However, it seems that those days are over - I've read similar frustrations about the lack of feature updates, and so I have now come to accept that while they will still sell you a console, they are not putting any R&D into them and don't plan to.

That said, A&H is putting tons of R&D into their consoles which is the core of their company and they keep making improvements. Despite the fact that I don't love the UI of the SQ consoles, they will likely be my next small format console purchase and I can be confident in the company moving forward.

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »

Wouldn't install it under a stage. It's fixed cardioid, frequency response and sound quality would be seriously compromised.

I'm sure it's a fine sub as long as it has enough air around itself to breathe properly.

Thank you for the insight - I hadn't realized that it would be a problem under a stage, but that makes sense.  I was specifically told I need a sub under 18" for a 600 seat auditorium remodel. I might decide to fight that battle with the architect if needed, but I figured I would at least look into options first - I already have a significant amount of d&b and will be using some of their point source speakers for mains/delays, so I would much prefer a solid d&b sub option; however, most are over 18" tall.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 05:28:46 PM »

Thank you for the insight - I hadn't realized that it would be a problem under a stage, but that makes sense.  I was specifically told I need a sub under 18" for a 600 seat auditorium remodel. I might decide to fight that battle with the architect if needed, but I figured I would at least look into options first - I already have a significant amount of d&b and will be using some of their point source speakers for mains/delays, so I would much prefer a solid d&b sub option; however, most are over 18" tall.

18S, 21S, B6 and B22 are omni. The smallest one of these is about 19" tall. EX15 is 16.8" tall, could work if they provide enough SPL/extension.
My go-to sub for putting under a stage is SB1000. It has a format that's easy to integrate into most stage designs.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 05:52:37 PM »

I also prefer the workflow of the SiPerformer - especially for my situation at a university where I hire students to mix events, most of whom have just a small amount of experience with consoles. However, that said, I made the decision this year at NAMM to stop investing in Soundcraft consoles - the company's investment in these consoles seems to have gone out the window years ago, and it was very obvious at NAMM.  They did not have a single Si console at their booth, they had one Vi1000 being used to run their live performances, and they had one Notepad, and then of course a few Ui consoles.

I chatted with the guy standing next to their Vi and later with another dude by the Ui's, they both said that they DO have future plans for the Si range, but of course they couldn't tell me anything. The guy by the Ui said they're also working on some major updates to the ViSi app, I'll believe both claims when I see the press releases but at least they told me SOMETHING.

I have four Si consoles, got both of my Performers refurbished early last year (P3 had sticky faders, P1 had the dreaded spontaneous shutdown issue, both turned around quickly) so I'm sticking with the ecosystem to the bitter end - no guest engineer ever complains when they see my consoles.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 07:01:48 PM »

Consider the Danley TH212 for a low profile, high performance installation sub. The selection of opening for the horn mouth allows it to be laid on its side if needed. Let me know if you need more info about it.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 01:01:01 AM »

Consider the Danley TH212 for a low profile, high performance installation sub. The selection of opening for the horn mouth allows it to be laid on its side if needed. Let me know if you need more info about it.

Second the TH212, it's arguably the best low-stage option out there.  The headache is using non-d&b subs in a d&b system for political reasons.  8 TH212 subs and a pair of 30D amps with a horizontal array would be awesome!  Those and a 24S based system are no joke. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 01:39:28 AM »

I chatted with the guy standing next to their Vi and later with another dude by the Ui's, they both said that they DO have future plans for the Si range, but of course they couldn't tell me anything. The guy by the Ui said they're also working on some major updates to the ViSi app, I'll believe both claims when I see the press releases but at least they told me SOMETHING.

I have four Si consoles, got both of my Performers refurbished early last year (P3 had sticky faders, P1 had the dreaded spontaneous shutdown issue, both turned around quickly) so I'm sticking with the ecosystem to the bitter end - no guest engineer ever complains when they see my consoles.

On the Ui24R Facebook page their is a post claiming Soundcraft has at least two big announcements planned for 2020 regarding live sound mixers, and that the Ui24R is "expanding in a big way". No idea what this means for the Si or the Ui series, but I guess we will find out.

David "dvsDave" Silvernail

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

No one saw the Behringer Wing or the Midas Heritage D?  The new Sennheiser mic?

I saw the new Sennheiser prototype.  It looks roughly like the e935, but the pickup pattern is even tighter. Drops off really quickly, great for vocalists that really want the monitors wailing.  I'm impressed and can't wait to see it officially debut. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.