ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for DIY plans similar to JBL ASH6118  (Read 4362 times)

Rolando Saenz

looking for DIY plans similar to JBL ASH6118
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »

looking for horn subs i found this
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%20Series/ASH6118.pdf

Looks like subs that have 1200 watts RMS power handling
goes at 30hz or below
and are horns
cost 3k+ each
 :o

from the all the DIY plans floating on the internet
what design will get close to the JBL ASH6118 specs
doesnt matter if it is a 1970 or 1980 design
love those 70's and 80's function one club cabs or those old klipsch ones

looks like we have not made any major discovery and the laws of physics since newton still apply
i wish we break free from the Hoffman's Iron Laws of Speaker Building

there are no "Black matter vortex principle" subs that even 5 times smaller than a TH118 reach 10hz  and have 120db of sensitivity   ;D
so you can have 150 RMS SPL with a 200 watts power amp  8)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:45:19 PM by Rolando Saenz »

Rolando Saenz

Re: looking for DIY plans similar to JBL ASH6118
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:43:42 PM by Rolando Saenz »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »

from the all the DIY plans floating on the internet
what design will get close to the JBL ASH6118 specs
Just look for other designs with similar
PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
Enclosure Dimensions:(H x W x D)(22.3  x 56.4  x 50.7 in.) 
Net Weight:351 lb

Rolando, notice that design is larger and heavier than the LAB sub that was too big and heavy for you a few days ago..

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 11:52:37 PM »

^^^ What Art said.

Rolando, I think you should make some sawdust and build Art's Keystone sub.  Try 1 and see what you think.  If you've got the time, shop and cabinet-maker to advise you, all you're out is the plywood, glue and staples/screws.  Part of DIY is finding out what works for YOU and learning a bunch of stuff along the way.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:10:14 AM »

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Rolando, notice that design is larger and heavier than the LAB sub that was too big and heavy for you a few days ago..

Art

I think by the time he builds them anyway he will have more that a commercial sub that meets his needs.  He also seems too focused on the 30hz number.  I can't imagine that it's practical to get 30hz extension and output level without spending a lot of money.  I am sure it is impressive but if there isn't a commensurate revenue stream and that content is integral to the presentation the artist desires what's the point?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:04:38 AM »

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Art
I hear you Art,
indeed that JBL is bigger than the Lab sub and not my cup of tea to move around, 2 roadies to move that massive monolith I need (insert yoda voice here)
still I'm new to see this close the specs and volume needed for lower extension and high efficiency , it is not my desire by any means to bother you guys, I know that you have heard the same rants 1000's of times around here, but I'm just asking in the most humble way ... "I need more input" (insert Jonny 5 voice here )

i just wanna know if there was something close to that 300+ pounder in the DIY plans

and again I want to repeat my desire to see un classified plans from manufacturers like EAW that when they stop making a cabinet they share the plans to the public domain, they are not profiting anymore from them as they stop making them, they keep the intellectual property I agree, so however who build them they can't sell them as a businiess but they can build them for personal use , like the 12PI sub. speaking of wich, what you think of it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:10:16 AM by Rolando Saenz »

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 01:14:34 AM »

^^^ What Art said.

Rolando, I think you should make some sawdust and build Art's Keystone sub.  Try 1 and see what you think.  If you've got the time, shop and cabinet-maker to advise you, all you're out is the plywood, glue and staples/screws.  Part of DIY is finding out what works for YOU and learning a bunch of stuff along the way.
Thanks Tim, I like the idea, from the keystone and the labsub , what you think fits more what I want to accomplish? I want that people not just hear but feel the punch

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 01:22:39 AM »

I am sure it is impressive but if there isn't a commensurate revenue stream and that content is integral to the presentation the artist desires what's the point?
Scott,
I am not debating that, I can't resist to admire those big boxes with power full specs , then I realize that I can't buy commercial boxes with those specs.

what sub you recommend to build
or what second or third hand commercial boxes to get

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:40:00 AM »

Scott,
I am not debating that, I can't resist to admire those big boxes with power full specs , then I realize that I can't buy commercial boxes with those specs.

what sub you recommend to build
or what second or third hand commercial boxes to get

Based on what you want maybe 6 EAW SB1000's might start to get you in the ballpark.   You aren't going to get 30hz extension with a couple of 80 pound subs. 

Building and testing subs is expensive and the drivers to achieve your goal are 500-800.  You could buy a couple of SRX-828 for a little over 2500 US, you won't get down as low as you are looking for but you will get plenty of impact.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »

Based on what you want maybe 6 EAW SB1000's might start to get you in the ballpark.   You aren't going to get 30hz extension with a couple of 80 pound subs. 

Building and testing subs is expensive and the drivers to achieve your goal are 500-800.  You could buy a couple of SRX-828 for a little over 2500 US, you won't get down as low as you are looking for but you will get plenty of impact.

Scott,
speaking of the JBL's SRX's 828

i found this on the 18sound site
http://www.eighteensound.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTgvMTAvMjMvMTFfNDBfMDVfMjI0XzE4c291bmRfMThfZHVhbF9zdWJ3b29mZXJfa2l0LnBkZiJdXQ/18sound_18_dual_subwoofer_kit.pdf

and this on the B&C site

https://bcspeakers.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTkvMDUvMDkvMTJfNDhfNTFfNzQ5X1MyMThBTi5wZGYiXV0/S218AN.pdf

both companies have a folded horn plan in their website also
and what i am learning is that if i want loud and low, it will be big and heavy
so, i need to rewire my brain to that premise and start hiring help and charging more :D
All the best
Rolando

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.