ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding subwoofers  (Read 5181 times)

jason yach

Question regarding subwoofers
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I know this has been discussed previously but I wanted to gather more opinions regarding my particular application when using subs.  I am a wedding dj that typically does about 15-20 events per year.  Usually mid-larger sized wedding halls, 100-250 guests on average.  I currently have two 15 inch EV speakers, and use old school mixing equipment and no sub so need powered active speakers.  I typically dj younger weddings, so I play a lot of hip hop or mid to early 2000s rap/hip hop.  I am getting tired of maxing out my 2 speakers and just want more bass with a good thump for my hip hop sets and just want to take some pressure off the speakers.  I currently drive a Honda accord, so space is a concern somewhat.  I am leaning towards getting one sub over buying two for multiple reasons.  One, the cost, and two the amount of space and time to set up two subs versus one.  I would say my budget is around $500 or less.  I have looked at the Rockville 15 and 18 inch folded horn speakers just cuz it looks like they have decent power for the price, but man they both weight a ton.  I am torn between buying one of these folded horn ones versus a front loaded option.  Do you guys think that the folded horn one is worth buying?  OR any other subs you might recommend?  I am worried that I am going to buy an underpowered sub and be disappointed.  It is tough because of my budget so just looking for any feedback you can provide.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:51:34 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I know this has been discussed previously but I wanted to gather more opinions

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Steve Garris

Re: Question regarding subwoofers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I know this has been discussed previously but I wanted to gather more opinions regarding my particular application when using subs.  I am a wedding dj that typically does about 15-20 events per year.  Usually mid-larger sized wedding halls, 100-250 guests on average.  I currently have two 15 inch EV speakers, and use old school mixing equipment and no sub so need powered active speakers.  I typically dj younger weddings, so I play a lot of hip hop or mid to early 2000s rap/hip hop.  I am getting tired of maxing out my 2 speakers and just want more bass with a good thump for my hip hop sets and just want to take some pressure off the speakers.  I currently drive a Honda accord, so space is a concern somewhat.  I am leaning towards getting one sub over buying two for multiple reasons.  One, the cost, and two the amount of space and time to set up two subs versus one.  I would say my budget is around $500 or less.  I have looked at the Rockville 15 and 18 inch folded horn speakers just cuz it looks like they have decent power for the price, but man they both weight a ton.  I am torn between buying one of these folded horn ones versus a front loaded option.  Do you guys think that the folded horn one is worth buying?  OR any other subs you might recommend?  I am worried that I am going to buy an underpowered sub and be disappointed.  It is tough because of my budget so just looking for any feedback you can provide.

Welcome Jason. You came to the right place for very good advice. Please tell us what model EV speaker you are using and how they are powered. Are they mounted on stands? I agree that a single sub is what you need, but your budget might need to be slightly improved if you don't want to be disappointed. You will get great recommendations here from pro-level sound techs.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »

I have looked at the Rockville 15 and 18 inch folded horn speakers just cuz it looks like they have decent power for the price, but man they both weight a ton.

Hi Jason, so a few things to note...

Power (watts) and volume (dB) are not a direct linear correlation.  There are far more variables in play that will determine a speaker/subwoofer’s actual realistic maximum output.  Don’t shop by watts.

Rockville isn’t a name brand so I’m not sure if I found the subwoofers you’re looking at or not, but they seem to weigh just under 80 pounds.  You are not going to find a subwoofer worth it’s weight for anything less than that.  The 80-100 pound range is where most single-driver subwoofers weigh in at.  If this is a logistical concern for you then you might need to look into a different solution all together.

$500 won’t get you anything worthwhile, at least if buying new.  The used market can offer some great deals, but $500 is still a stretch.  Double that budget and you’ll have some reasonable options.

Your existing speakers aside, both the JTR Growler and JBL SRX818SP are some of the better “compact” subwoofers that I’ve personally heard.  Depending on your EV speakers it might be worth finding an EV subwoofer to match, but until we know what you’re using it’s hard to say.  Hope this helps!

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 02:31:47 PM »

If your criteria is not flexible, maybe this? Not "pro-level", but would be an improvement over what you currently have.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts318s-2000w-18-powered-subwoofer/l56697000000000
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »

In addition to a sub, let's assume powered at this point, you will need some form of a crossover between your speakers you have now and the sub.

That may be as simple as using the subs built in crossover high pass output to feed the amp running you speakers either power amp or directly to the speakers if there powered models.
Maybe the other way around if your speakers are powered and have sub woofer low pass outputs.
If all of the above does not apply using a stand alone crossover between the output of your mixer and then feeding the appropriate speakers/amps will work.
Yes having the subs match the tops is nice but in your case a sub with some form of a crossover between the sub and your top speakers will work fine.

You budget and size requirement do limit your choices!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 02:49:12 PM »

If your criteria is not flexible, maybe this? Not "pro-level", but would be an improvement over what you currently have.

It’s still 86 pounds though, which seems to be a dealbreaker to the OP. 

Just to argue with myself in my first post, while browsing the JTR website I noticed that the Captivator 212 Pro is only 67 pounds, so while under the ballpark 80-100 pound range of most subs in this class it’s still 3-4 times the OP’s price limit...

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 04:57:10 PM »

how handy are you with tools?  There are simple to build designs for the Eminence 3012 LF and 3015 Lf.  I ran 2 to 4 (compact 12 design from Greenboy) under Mackie tops for a while and it ran well.

Your budget is def a limitation as is your Honda.   Realistically, to significantly up your game, those will need to be addressed.  In my area, I rent QsC K Series rigs for DJ support air amount.  Maybe you would be better focusing on the front gear and striking up a relationship with sound co that can bring the boom.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »

I'm going to be the asshole and say it. The budget and the need/want do not align. You will not find a $500 subwoofer that is worth owning used or new that is under 80lbs. and performs to the degree needed. You can't even buy the raw materials to build a sub from scratch with $500. Yes you can find a $500 subwoofer, yes it will make noise, but it will either be heavier than 80lbs, not perform well enough or will require other hardware that brings the total cost above $500 ( so outside of budget ).

My suggestion: If you have been getting paid to do these gigs with what you have, you will/can continue to acquire gigs with what you have. So continue to do the gigs with what you have and SAVE MONEY until you can afford what you really want. The JBL SRX line is worth every penny and is nearly impossible to beat performance-wise for the money. You can spend more to beat it, but you won't find better for less. Used or B stock is an option, but I find that time and patience usually wins out. The time it takes to save the money and the time you spend sourcing a good vendor to buy from will generally mean you get what you want at a better price than Tim, Tom or Marry can find on ebay. If it works don't try and fix it. Save your money so you can make a single better purchase 1 time instead of pressing the panic button and making a panic purchase.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »

I also suggest that if you can't easily get the exact model of sub you are looking at ahead of time, you should build a full-sized model out of cardboard to make sure it fits into and out of your car. I can fit a pair of JBL PRX618s-xlf subwoofer into my Prius (plus tops, stands, etc), but just barely.  It is a hassle to make the mock-up, but a lot less trouble than fbuying a used sub and then finding out it won't fit, or fit in with the rest of your rig. Just measuring where you are going to put it isn't the same as getting in and out the door or hatch. (Don't ask me how I know this...)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.