ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermal Speaker Failure with Yamaha DZR12  (Read 217 times)

Reece Johnson

Thermal Speaker Failure with Yamaha DZR12
« on: January 17, 2020, 06:00:50 am »

Hi, I am the owner of 4 Yamaha DZR12 speakers. Iíve owned a lot of Yamaha gear before (the DSR115ís, DSR112ís, DXR15ís and more, however Iíve never blown a woofer before my DZRís. With my new DZRís, Iíve just blown my fourth mid/low woofer.
The reason Iím posting this is because these woofers have all blown from thermal failure during long gigs, without any limit/warning light coming on. Not even a flicker. I am very careful with my mixer to keep the signal clean.
The thing that surprised me is that I always run these tops with DXS18 subwoofers, crossing the signal over at 80 or 100hz. My DZRs have never run at full range apart from while testing at low levels.
The mixer I run them through is a DJM900nxs2 if that helps. The blown speakers all sound fine at low levels. I have to turn it to a decent level to start hearing any issues.
Is this normal for the processor / limiter to not realize that the voice coil is cooking after a few hours of high output? It was around 5 hours into my last gig that I noticed the speaker started crackling every now and then. Is there a chance that it is my mixer instead that is putting out a dirty signal? Iíd appreciate any opinions or similar experiences.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Thermal Speaker Failure with Yamaha DZR12
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 09:10:01 am »

Hi, I am the owner of 4 Yamaha DZR12 speakers. Iíve owned a lot of Yamaha gear before (the DSR115ís, DSR112ís, DXR15ís and more, however Iíve never blown a woofer before my DZRís. With my new DZRís, Iíve just blown my fourth mid/low woofer.
The reason Iím posting this is because these woofers have all blown from thermal failure during long gigs, without any limit/warning light coming on. Not even a flicker. I am very careful with my mixer to keep the signal clean.
The thing that surprised me is that I always run these tops with DXS18 subwoofers, crossing the signal over at 80 or 100hz. My DZRs have never run at full range apart from while testing at low levels.
The mixer I run them through is a DJM900nxs2 if that helps. The blown speakers all sound fine at low levels. I have to turn it to a decent level to start hearing any issues.
Is this normal for the processor / limiter to not realize that the voice coil is cooking after a few hours of high output? It was around 5 hours into my last gig that I noticed the speaker started crackling every now and then. Is there a chance that it is my mixer instead that is putting out a dirty signal? Iíd appreciate any opinions or similar experiences.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum but just a heads-up....
You'll need to change your display name to your real name - as per forum rules when you signed up - before anyone is allowed to address your question.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Thermal Speaker Failure with Yamaha DZR12
¬ę Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 09:10:01 am ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.