ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermal Speaker Failure with Yamaha DZR12  (Read 11695 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Thermal Speaker Failure with Yamaha DZR12
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »

I just realized, the OP with the DZR issue never posted back ( or anywhere else on the forum) after he posed his question.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »

You said you play 'Deep House' music yet you purchased entry level speakers from the Yamaha series. The DBR's are the cheapest model in the Yamaha series and are superb speakers in their class BUT can only perform to their capabilities. Any other speaker of similar specs and price would get you similar results so you have to look at your expectations and decide if they are beyond the speakers capabilities. If so , and it sounds like that is probably the case,  then you have no choice but to invest in speakers that will get you the results you seek OR lower your expectations.

Yep.  The lower the price, the more compromises.  Sounds like you need DSR or DZR and plenty of subs.  If the DZR or even higher quality are too expensive - you aren't charging enough. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 03:12:22 AM »

So, are you sure, the smell of the glue from the elements, it"s a normal  symptom?
The limit led will ever start to blinking, if i try to push them a little bit?
I don"t want to ruined the elements completely, but i need to know, if exist a minimal protection to the elements.

I have heard of other drivers smelling when they're warm, but without failure - the smell passes after a little while as the glue finishes curing.
I can't say if your DBR10 has one of those drivers because I don't know.

I do know that Yamaha builds a lot of protection into these speakers. I'd also say that the limiters are set very conservatively - I can't think of an input signal that would destroy the woofer.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

EDDIE GOLDBLUM

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 03:23:34 AM »

The price of those two DBR-10, wasn"t cheap at all. Actually the price was the same like EON 612, or MACKIE, or RCF-710MK4.
My complaints, was about the reliability of the elements, the on\off switches{two of them was replaced, in short period of time}, and finally the poor clip\limit protection, on high level volumes.
When i bought that yamaha"s, the price was almost the same, like the RCF"S. The difference was about 100 US$, on the pair.
Now, i think it was a big mistake, not to buy the RCF"S.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »

I was a little leary when I started investing in RCF NX series speakers. At nearly $1,800 retail, it was going to be a hard pill to swallow if they didn't work as hoped. I got with Mike at Pyle Audio ( a member of this forum ) and he sold a set to me at a killer price. Given the specs, I had modest expectations of their performance. What I soon found is that they actually perform to the specs they state. They measure as the specs say, and they get as loud as the specs say. Wonderful speakers with very stiff and rigid speaker grill and a nice clean look.

The specs from the Yamaha DZR line is laughable. They are definitely preying on the ignorant or uninformed market segment. There is no way in high hell those things could do what they say and they must be hoping and praying they get loud enough that most people stop before they blow up. Since its debuted, I have not heard so many bad stories about a speaker as I have the DZR. The speakers sound great, until they blow up, is the easy synaps.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 11:55:40 PM »

I was a little leary when I started investing in RCF NX series speakers. At nearly $1,800 retail, it was going to be a hard pill to swallow if they didn't work as hoped. I got with Mike at Pyle Audio ( a member of this forum ) and he sold a set to me at a killer price. Given the specs, I had modest expectations of their performance. What I soon found is that they actually perform to the specs they state. They measure as the specs say, and they get as loud as the specs say. Wonderful speakers with very stiff and rigid speaker grill and a nice clean look.

The specs from the Yamaha DZR line is laughable. They are definitely preying on the ignorant or uninformed market segment. There is no way in high hell those things could do what they say and they must be hoping and praying they get loud enough that most people stop before they blow up. Since its debuted, I have not heard so many bad stories about a speaker as I have the DZR. The speakers sound great, until they blow up, is the easy synaps.

And my observations of the DZR have been that they'll take a major ass kicking and live to tell about it.  Sound quality was not inferior for the price point.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 09:44:29 AM »

The specs from the Yamaha DZR line is laughable. They are definitely preying on the ignorant or uninformed market segment. There is no way in high hell those things could do what they say and they must be hoping and praying they get loud enough that most people stop before they blow up.

You could be talking about any number of boxes here - this stuff isn't specifically the Yamaha DZR range.

I could go on about this, but you've all probably read the article.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:19 PM »

I used mine last weekend and had them thumpin'... they sounded great - so far no issues at all (did I just tempt providence?)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2020, 05:32:58 PM »

Hope not!
But hey, you've still got the Danley  8)

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 12:21:38 AM »

Hope not!
But hey, you've still got the Danley  8)

Chris

It would be so sad to have to fall back on the Danleys for the smaller shows  ::)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 12:21:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.