ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trunk ports in the Yamaha SWP1-switches  (Read 5979 times)

Miguel Dahl

Re: Trunk ports in the Yamaha SWP1-switches
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »

If you have a need to be running come complex networking why not just get a managed switch from another manufacture and create an Ethercon patch panel?

Been thinking about that route as well. But I guess we've settled on just getting something which works out of the box, which is very easy configurable. One shouldn't be able to go wrong with these unless one tampers with the configs. It would take a few hours to asseble the thing, also buying all connectors, cables, and some more hours to understand how to set it up and operate it.

If the SWP2 is just a pinch more expensive than the SWP1 then I'll look into those too. We're not doing jobs big enough where a 1G ethercon shouldn't be enough, we don't own a fibrecable and we've never needed to use one. But it seems like SWP2 can only do 10 ethercon/RJ45 connections, where the SWP1-16 can do 16.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »

The first time you need to go even close to 100 meters of cable fiber is the only answer.  I don't know where you're located but in most major markets in the US Ethercon equipped optical fiber is readily cross-rented when needed.

... we don't own a fibrecable and we've never needed to use one. But it seems like SWP2 can only do 10 ethercon/RJ45 connections, where the SWP1-16 can do 16.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »

The first time you need to go even close to 100 meters of cable fiber is the only answer.  I don't know where you're located but in most major markets in the US Ethercon equipped optical fiber is readily cross-rented when needed.

Why? We use 100m Cat6 all the time for Dante and control networks.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »

The issue isn't so much 'will it pass signal'; rather it's 'we estimated 95m and now it's a 115m run'. 

Now that I'm working with fiber more and see how it's no longer crazy expensive, and instead it's durable - why not. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 10:15:09 PM »

The issue isn't so much 'will it pass signal'; rather it's 'we estimated 95m and now it's a 115m run'. 

Now that I'm working with fiber more and see how it's no longer crazy expensive, and instead it's durable - why not.

yup.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »

Then I see your point. But we're not even close to 100m runs, it's just that the cables are 100m. My guess is that the typical foh-stage run is maximum 50-60 meters. That's why I meant that we've never been close to fiber-land usage. If we find ourself in a close to 100m run situation we'll just have to deal with that in some way down the road.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:21:15 AM by Miguel Dahl »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »

Because the Yamaha is better and easier?

Considering the question that was asked I questioned that. I agree with the Yamaha products for a Dante only network but at that point why do you even need a managed switch, some RIOs connected to even two-three consoles shouldn't need managed switches.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »

The first time you need to go even close to 100 meters of cable fiber is the only answer.
Personally, after the headaches I've had with 100m CAT5/6 cables, I won't even use it if the chunk is over 80m. All I  use is fibre for the FOH run on tour and request it of suppliers. I require that if the supplier does not have fiber that his CAT cable MUST be 80m or under, no exceptions.
Once you've had the sort of random issues you can get with CAT cable at 100m, you'll want to upgrade. If you haven't had any problems so far, then good for you!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »

Personally, after the headaches I've had with 100m CAT5/6 cables, I won't even use it if the chunk is over 80m. All I  use is fibre for the FOH run on tour and request it of suppliers. I require that if the supplier does not have fiber that his CAT cable MUST be 80m or under, no exceptions.
Once you've had the sort of random issues you can get with CAT cable at 100m, you'll want to upgrade. If you haven't had any problems so far, then good for you!

Maybe so. But we have had zero issues with our cables and Dante, for over a year, used "often". We did have some serious issues with Cat7 though, that just didn't work over 70 meters or such with dante clocking, but that reel had ethercon connecters in the reel, so one would have to extend beyond 70 meters to connect to the console. But with the heavy duty Cat6, no stress at all so far.

Our cables are 100m end to end, there's no patch at the reel, so it's 100M max from endpoint to endpoint.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »

Then I see your point. But we're not even close to 100m runs, it's just that the cables are 100m. My guess is that the typical foh-stage run is maximum 50-60 meters. That's why I meant that we've never been close to fiber-land usage. If we find ourself in a close to 100m run situation we'll just have to deal with that in some way down the road.

Well it doesn't matter if it's 10 cm or 100 meters foh-stage if the cable is 100 meters...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.