ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trunk ports in the Yamaha SWP1-switches  (Read 6050 times)

Miguel Dahl

Re: Trunk ports in the Yamaha SWP1-switches
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 01:34:20 PM »

Well it doesn't matter if it's 10 cm or 100 meters foh-stage if the cable is 100 meters...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here? Our cables are 100m, endpoint to end point, always worked flawlessly. From what I read from the poster above here it was something like  "If you're planning for a 90 meter run, and it turns out you need do run it elsewhere than planned, you might have to go 115m".. We're not running into those situations, as we don't have long runs, and have lots of spare on the reel if we would need to go longer than our pretty standard 50-60 meter runs. 100m is up to spec, and it haven't let us down yet. I don't understand why a standard which is stated from the maker of the equipment used, confirmed by real life usage should suddenly not work unless there's some damage done to the equipment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:42:06 PM by Miguel Dahl »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 05:24:51 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here? Our cables are 100m, endpoint to end point, always worked flawlessly. From what I read from the poster above here it was something like  "If you're planning for a 90 meter run, and it turns out you need do run it elsewhere than planned, you might have to go 115m".. We're not running into those situations, as we don't have long runs, and have lots of spare on the reel if we would need to go longer than our pretty standard 50-60 meter runs. 100m is up to spec, and it haven't let us down yet. I don't understand why a standard which is stated from the maker of the equipment used, confirmed by real life usage should suddenly not work unless there's some damage done to the equipment.

That last sentence is the key.  100m is the upper standard limit and so long as your cable is within spec and undamaged, it'll work just fine.  But cables DO get damaged from normal wear and tear and that damage is often not visible externally.  This combined with the cable being at the upper limit of the standard can combine to create intermittent failures, which always seem to show themselves AFTER the show starts.

None of this means you're wrong to use the cable you're using.  You know your gear and you know your show situations.  But those of us who are often using OTHER people's gear in perhaps a wider variety of show situations tend to be a bit more cautious.  Up to about 50m i prefer copper for it's simplicity and at those distances there is a little bit more wiggle room if there a small crimp in the cable of whatever.  But past that i'll take fiber every time.  It's just a safer alternative.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:02 PM »

Add to it that every (ethercon)patch in between eats away roughly 5 meters of the 100 meter max.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.