ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a Vlan on a Dante network  (Read 3730 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Setting up a Vlan on a Dante network
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:24:08 PM »

So lighting stopped by to look into the possibility of hopping on our fiber to get some DMX routed in a very wireless DMX unfriendly venue.  They were unable to get it to work but since this had been a back burner thing I wanted to implement anyway I dug into it after they gave up.  After a firmware update the first test switch seemed to be a bit more compliant about accepting the settings but one thing I'm not clear on is the PVid setting. Does this screen shot look correct for a VLan on ports 7 & 8 ?  I'd like  to be sure I've got this right before I reconfigure seven more switches.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Setting up a Vlan on a Dante network
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »

So lighting stopped by to look into the possibility of hopping on our fiber to get some DMX routed in a very wireless DMX unfriendly venue.  They were unable to get it to work but since this had been a back burner thing I wanted to implement anyway I dug into it after they gave up.  After a firmware update the first test switch seemed to be a bit more compliant about accepting the settings but one thing I'm not clear on is the PVid setting. Does this screen shot look correct for a VLan on ports 7 & 8 ?  I'd like  to be sure I've got this right before I reconfigure seven more switches.

Private Virtual ID, yes ports 7&7 are in VLAN ID 10. 

There may or may not be another screen of what VLAN's are mapped.  You just want to make sure that ports 7&8 are not also allowed in the default VLAN.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:32 PM »

How are you trunking your data around?  I don't see any trunk ports though I'm not familiar with that switch model.  Is it Netgear?  I'm not so familiar with Netgear.

Since you're in working on the network it might be wise to just setup say 10 vlans that are trunked around.  That way when you need to have some segregated traffic all you have to do is just provision the ports to whatever vlan you need on a per-switch basis and then the traffic will flow.  10 is probably way more than you'd ever need and it won't cause problems just having them there doing nothing.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »

If I knew what trunking was I'd be way ahead of where I am now.  My understanding of networking is limited to Wikipedia articles and manufacturer FAQs. What I'm trying to do is simply create, in the analog sense, a two channel switch with ports 1-6 and the two fiber ports on the default '0' Lan and copper ports 7 & 8 on a separate Vlan with data from the virtual lan ports not touching the main lan data. Yamaha Dante training classes have suggested this set up to keep Wifi routers and other non-Dante traffic off the sacred Dante network.  Is this not a valid approach?

Wikipedia describes trunking as a Cisco specific protocol.  Is that be something that would be applicable to Netgear switches?

How are you trunking your data around?  ...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:38:53 PM »

If I knew what trunking was I'd be way ahead of where I am now.  My understanding of networking is limited to Wikipedia articles and manufacturer FAQs. What I'm trying to do is simply create, in the analog sense, a two channel switch with ports 1-6 and the two fiber ports on the default '0' Lan and copper ports 7 & 8 on a separate Vlan with data from the virtual lan ports not touching the main lan data. Yamaha Dante training classes have suggested this set up to keep Wifi routers and other non-Dante traffic off the sacred Dante network.  Is this not a valid approach?

Wikipedia describes trunking as a Cisco specific protocol.  Is that be something that would be applicable to Netgear switches?

You should be all good with the setup you posted.  See my note Riley.

Cisco has their own trunking protocol called VTP it was developed before IETF standard 802.1q which is the new, open trunking protocol.

Trunking protocol is simple, it bundles groups of VLAN's on a single (or group of uplinks) between switches and sometimes routers.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »

That is a valid approach.  As Scott said, trunking is a way of bundling selected vlans onto one cable.  There are various types of trunking, most switches now support a standard open protocol for cross manufacturer interoperability.  Back in ye olde dayes there were mfgr proprietary methods but those are now largely gone except for legacy support.

If you're using a single switch it looks like your configuration will work fine.  Since you've got 8 switches the uplink ports between switches will need to be trunk ports.  If you post up your switch make and model we can probably look at the docs and point you to trunk port config info.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

I did find "trunk" mentioned in the Netgear GS110 switch documentation as being involved in " Link aggregation groups ".  Clearly more than I bargained for when starting this.  I'm trying to get all traffic to pass thru the fiber ports while separating the copper ports into Dante only and 'other data' only groups so that things like console control editors can exist anywhere physically that switches are available without concern for affecting Dante traffic. It seems, again with no networking background, that I need the switch to have 'everything' ports, Dante only ports and control only ports. Since I've seen this suggested several times ( in fact on that other current thread ) it's clearly doable, question is how to translate the networking speak of the Netgear documentation  into plain English steps.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »

I did find "trunk" mentioned in the Netgear GS110 switch documentation as being involved in " Link aggregation groups ".  Clearly more than I bargained for when starting this.  I'm trying to get all traffic to pass thru the fiber ports while separating the copper ports into Dante only and 'other data' only groups so that things like console control editors can exist anywhere physically that switches are available without concern for affecting Dante traffic. It seems, again with no networking background, that I need the switch to have 'everything' ports, Dante only ports and control only ports. Since I've seen this suggested several times ( in fact on that other current thread ) it's clearly doable, question is how to translate the networking speak of the Netgear documentation  into plain English steps.

If you want to setup a teamviewer session Riley I can configure the trunk ports for you in a few minutes.  The green link you how between top and middle switch needs to be trunk.  The orange link between middle and bottom needs to be trunk.

Link aggregation and trunking are two different things that can be used together.  LAG combines ports together to increase bandwidth.  LAG ports can be trunked. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Hancock

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »

You can get access points that are vlan compliant so you can have x number of separate wireless access for each segment.

Would 100% suggest you program in multiple vlans so you can have future flexiability.

We do this with procurve switches and one goes in every rack so that 1 link get everything everywhere so useful for troubleshooting etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.