ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB850 AND SB1000 Enclosure Customization  (Read 3052 times)

davidlittle

EAW SB850 AND SB1000 Enclosure Customization
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:17:57 PM »

Alright guys. Please don't think I'm crazy. However this idea may be.

I have 4 EAW SB850 subwoofers.

I found the CAD designs for the SB1000’s They would fit very nicely under our church stage, because of their size and shape. Would it hurt anything if I built 4 of the cabinets, and took the components out of the 850’s and threw them in these and set them under the stage?

Next question, if it didn’t hurt anything, would it increase sound quality or SPL to be more in line with that of the SB1000’s?

Again, I know it’s a far out there question. But I figured I’d ask…

Also, I won't be changing amplification, so I'm not risking blowing the drivers.

Also, after a little more research I found the SB1000's and the SB850's have exactly the same frequency response, axial sensitivity, impedance, power handling, and peak SPL.

Yet I've heard from many guys who used to tour with them that they 'hit lower' and 'throw further'

Thanks again for answering all my crazy questions. I appreciate your time.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:50:05 PM by davidlittle »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: EAW SB850 AND SB1000 Enclosure Customization
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:29:55 PM »

Alright guys. Please don't think I'm crazy. However this idea may be.

I have 4 EAW SB850 subwoofers.

I found the CAD designs for the SB1000’s They would fit very nicely under our church stage, because of their size and shape. Would it hurt anything if I built 4 of the cabinets, and took the components out of the 850’s and threw them in these and set them under the stage?

Next question, if it didn’t hurt anything, would it increase sound quality or SPL to be more in line with that of the SB1000’s?

Again, I know it’s a far out there question. But I figured I’d ask…

Also, I won't be changing amplification, so I'm not risking blowing the drivers.

Thanks again for answering all my crazy questions. I appreciate your time.

Why not rather take WinISD or similar, enter parameters of those drivers, and design boxes to fit under the stage with the best possible performance? 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

davidlittle

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:44:52 PM »

Why not rather take WinISD or similar, enter parameters of those drivers, and design boxes to fit under the stage with the best possible performance?

Thanks for the reply, I didn't realize there was a free software platform for this. My only concern would be that I would get an 'optimized' cabinet design, then after building wouldn't like the results. I know the SB1000's sound good, and match the SB850's from an electrical spec standpoint exactly.

charles strickland

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »

Or you could just sell the 850's and buy the sb1000's  ( used 12 to 15 hundred  ea. ) yea you might have to throw a few more bucks at it. but then you wouldn't have to feel weird about using eaw's plans with out there permission.  you might start with two and see if you need more. Heck I would start off by checking with local sound companies to see if maybe they would donate them to the church they can use it as a write off for more than they could sell them for, Win  Win.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:03:10 PM »

Or you could just sell the 850's and buy the sb1000's  ( used 12 to 15 hundred  ea. ) yea you might have to throw a few more bucks at it. but then you wouldn't have to feel weird about using eaw's plans with out there permission.  you might start with two and see if you need more. Heck I would start off by checking with local sound companies to see if maybe they would donate them to the church they can use it as a write off for more than they could sell them for, Win  Win.

Along this line - why not sell the SB850s and replace them with (2) newer tech subs?  I don't remember the SB850's as all that great
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »

I'd think twice about placing 4 subs under a stage with a live band. I've tried placing subs under the stage and have gotten enough complaints from bands that I stopped doing that.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

1)I found the CAD designs for the SB1000’s They would fit very nicely under our church stage, because of their size and shape. Would it hurt anything if I built 4 of the cabinets, and took the components out of the 850’s and threw them in these and set them under the stage?

2) Next question, if it didn’t hurt anything, would it increase sound quality or SPL to be more in line with that of the SB1000’s?
David,

1) Other than the many problems associated with subs located under a stage, the cabinet difference won't "hurt anything".
2) The SB1000 design reduces frontal area, provides additional (air) mass loading due to the "V" shape. Whether that difference would "increase sound quality" would be secondary to the location.

If the stage has more than 26.38" under, you could lay the SB850 on its side, and give them a try as is. The footprint will be wider, narrowing horizontal dispersion compared to the  SB1000, might be better or worse. Less concentrated, better for center stage...

Art

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »

SB1000s used a different driver from those used in the SB850s so dropping those drivers in your home brew 1000 boxes will have unknown results. The SB1000 design was entirely to make a more truck pack friendly design that also maximized number of sub motors that could be brought to bear in a given frontal area. The sorts of things that matter if your trucking and stacking dozens, less important if its four under a stage.   If you're bound and determined to build your own sub boxes to fit a particular architectural requirement I'd suggest selling the SB850s ( the drivers in those are almost by definition wearing out at this point ) and using those proceeds to buy some new sub drivers with known TS characteristics and building sub boxes that match the drivers and meet you dimension spec.  "Throw" doesn't come in to play when you're talking about subs until you start building arrays that exceed the wavelengths of interest and at that point you're actually spending more effort undoing that effect so that your coverage doesn't suffer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.