ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help to start videoing church services  (Read 7688 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Need help to start videoing church services
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »

He didn't mention streaming and how can you take someone serious who claims their budget is less than what a few feet of camera snake cost?

You can take people seriously that have absolutely no clue what it takes to get things done.  With today's cell phone generation, it's possible to do things as silly as tape a cell phone to a pillar and hit record.  Yes, a lot of videos posted online are just that, and people watch them.  Gone are the days where the ONLY option is insanely expensive video production, where quality HAD to matter in order to get a watchable product.

Suggesting that a small church invest six figures in equipment for posting a video of their service online isn't a realistic option for most churches.  Yes, having a decent budget to build a multi-camera production suite together would be great, but there are ways to get an acceptable video for far less than that.

Yes, you literally could pick up a HD video camera for less than $100 and stick it on a cheapie tripod, point it at the stage and hit record.  At the end of the service, you pull out the SD card and upload it where you want it.

No, the video production quality won't be there.  It'll be boring as heck to watch, but it might be all that you need.  If that's the level of production you're looking for, then which camera you get doesn't really make much difference.  Go to your local store, see what they have that looks pretty and buy it.  The differences at that price probably won't make a bit of difference.

Now, if you want real video production of the service, the amount of work that goes into that is insanely more difficult and expensive.  Just for funsies, go ahead and watch anything on TV.  Pay close attention to how long each clip is. Even for live news.  You'll be hard pressed to find any scene that's over 15 seconds long before they change camera angles.  Even something as boring as watching the 6:00 news, you'll see that the camera angle changes quite regularly.  When it's done smoothly, you hardly notice it.  When you cut back to a single camera though, it's very noticeable that it's not there.

As Mark Olsen wrote, it's important to know what the vision of the project is to determine how much needs to be put into making this happen.  If you're trying to make the video available as a simple historical record, fancy production probably isn't necessary.  If you're trying to get people's attention around the world, then you'll need a ton. Or, most likely, reality will fall somewhere in between.
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:14 PM »

Yes, you literally could pick up a HD video camera for less than $100 and stick it on a cheapie tripod, point it at the stage and hit record.  At the end of the service, you pull out the SD card and upload it where you want it.

No, the video production quality won't be there.  It'll be boring as heck to watch, but it might be all that you need.  If that's the level of production you're looking for, then which camera you get doesn't really make much difference.  Go to your local store, see what they have that looks pretty and buy it.  The differences at that price probably won't make a bit of difference.

That's kind of what I wrapped up my post with.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 12:27:11 AM »

You can take people seriously that have absolutely no clue what it takes to get things done.  With today's cell phone generation, it's possible to do things as silly as tape a cell phone to a pillar and hit record.  Yes, a lot of videos posted online are just that, and people watch them.  Gone are the days where the ONLY option is insanely expensive video production, where quality HAD to matter in order to get a watchable product.

Suggesting that a small church invest six figures in equipment for posting a video of their service online isn't a realistic option for most churches.  Yes, having a decent budget to build a multi-camera production suite together would be great, but there are ways to get an acceptable video for far less than that.

Now, if you want real video production of the service, the amount of work that goes into that is insanely more difficult and expensive.  Just for funsies, go ahead and watch anything on TV.  Pay close attention to how long each clip is. Even for live news.  You'll be hard pressed to find any scene that's over 15 seconds long before they change camera angles.  Even something as boring as watching the 6:00 news, you'll see that the camera angle changes quite regularly.  When it's done smoothly, you hardly notice it.  When you cut back to a single camera though, it's very noticeable that it's not there.

As Mark Olsen wrote, it's important to know what the vision of the project is to determine how much needs to be put into making this happen.  If you're trying to make the video available as a simple historical record, fancy production probably isn't necessary.  If you're trying to get people's attention around the world, then you'll need a ton. Or, most likely, reality will fall somewhere in between.

Oh I agree the 6 figure suggestions were as absurd as the original request.  In the middle is some decent hand held gyroscopically stabilized wireless cameras.  These can be built for about 2000 each with the wireless gear.  You need two.  One more operator on a platform with a $1500 camera and a Blackmagic switcher and you are in business.  Editing, titling and all that is not something you learn in an hour, it's an art and I have tremendous respect for vidiots.  You also have to have video knowledgeable tech or you will be back on here saying your SDI has no image.  You also need to do a seperate mix for the broadcast and any poor micing technique will be magnified. 

Lastly just to add more issues to the pile, you don't have distribution rights to the music you perform, only performance so you have to edit out all the music or you are violating copyright laws.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Wesley Key

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »

I'm having a hard time deciding if I can take any of this forum seriously.  Many replies but no helpful discussion. 

I purchased this camera:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1387603-REG/canon_1959c026aa_vixia_hf_r80_camcorder.html

I connected the headphone jack on my mixer to the mic jack on the camera.

Here is my first try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSjWOEHAA58&t=719s

The first couple of minutes have terrible audio/no audio but after some adjusting it clears up.  I'm open to creative suggestion.   I run my whole audio room for a budget of well under $1,000 per year, so comments that I need a $10,000 camera are of no use to me.  Thank you.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 01:01:14 PM »

I'm having a hard time deciding if I can take any of this forum seriously.  Many replies but no helpful discussion. 

I purchased this camera:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1387603-REG/canon_1959c026aa_vixia_hf_r80_camcorder.html

Here is my first try:

The first couple of minutes have terrible audio/no audio but after some adjusting it clears up.  I'm open to creative suggestion.   I run my whole audio room for a budget of well under $1,000 per year, so comments that I need a $10,000 camera are of no use to me.  Thank you.

As you can see, if that's the type of video you want, you can do it with a next to nothing budget.  No, it's not anything fancy.  You captured the message and put it online.  This isn't video production.  Pretty much ANY camera you purchased would be able to give you this sort of quality.  No, these forums probably aren't the best place to go for advice on that sort of thing.  These forums would be for higher end production work.

It's scary amazing how acceptable even cheapie cameras are these days.

Now, for a little advice.  The positioning of your camera needs to be adjusted.  The camera does not appear to be level.  This is ultimately critical in video production and is something very easy to correct.  If your camera doesn't have a level on it, simply focus on something that is level directly in front of the camera, such as one of the video screens. Make sure when you zoom in on it, it's level to the top or bottom edge of the screen.  For a single camera shoot, having the camera centered to the speaker is pretty important too, as you won't have level background lines if the camera isn't centered and it will just feel awkward.  Since it looks like your podium is centered, having the camera in the center of the room is where I'd place it.
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »

I purchased this camera:

Here is my first try:

I my post you can see I started off thinking big and then scaled it back to more or less what you did that looks like it's working for your needs.
Keep in mind upwards to 20 years ago now I used to shoot video and would shelp around about $50,000 worth of equipment to do a TV commercial, and that was a budget system compared to some.

As for the video you uploaded, as mentioned you need to get the camera level, adjust the length of a leg on your tripod.

Your audio is not bad sounding but you only have audio in the left channel.
Using the headphone out on you mixer your cable should be a tip ring sleeve straight through cable. Since the headphone jack out is almost certainly a stereo out with a TRS straight through cable you should be getting both channels of audio on the recording.

Early in the recording when you were working with the audio I heard both channels for a second.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:55:45 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »

And if possible, turn of that automatic gain control. It will reduce the hum/noise and not pump.

And I suggest to move that basket of flowers to the side so that it doesn’t distract from the person.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »

I just took a quick glance at the camera manual, no mention that I found of an AGC setting but there are different settings for the type of audio your recording, the wording in the manual made me think those only applied to the camera internal mic.
Try them and see what happens.

Also try powering the camera only with the battery when recording, that may help the hum and noise.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:58:37 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »

I purchased this camera:

Here is my first try:

So you did exactly what we told you not to do.  I gave you some low cost options and tossed out the name Blackmagic so you had a value option, you simply choose to do what you wanted.  Which is all you were looking for, emotional confirmation when you came in here.

You have no clue what you are doing with audio either or you would not have that channel not working and the gain structure issues on the camera. 

If you want to put out crappy product, that is undeserving of your name then keep going down the path you are on. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »

If I am going about this the wrong way, I am open to suggestion.

Wesley, you were given several good suggestions by people who know what they’re talking about.  You didn’t acknowledge any of that so I’m not sure what kind of discussion you were hoping to have. 

Mike told you in reply #2 the correct way to route audio to an 1/8” input - given the several audio problems your video has it’s clear you didn’t follow that.

I’m just curious how you’re going to still use your headphones...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.