ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help to start videoing church services  (Read 7616 times)

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: Need help to start videoing church services
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »

I find that any type of delay is one of the most polarizing vocal effects ever. Some people love it, some people hate it. I have tried to find a happy middle by chopping off the low and the high end of the repeats. I typically run about 300hz to 3000hz. 15% feedback. It's a great slap, but because it's all midrange it doesn't muddy up the vocal as bad as a full on rockabilly delay.

I do pretty much the same thing in regards to filtering the signal into the delay (HP at 300 Hz or so and LP at 3K to get rid of most of the sibiliance).

I have also discovered (and it may be because of my untrained ear) that delay is harder to hear "live" than it is on a recording -- meaning it sticks out a bit more on a recording as opposed to live in the room. I'm finding that I need to back down on the delay send to my livestream mix as compared to what can be sent into the live room mix.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2020, 08:32:12 PM »

I have also discovered (and it may be because of my untrained ear) that delay is harder to hear "live" than it is on a recording -- meaning it sticks out a bit more on a recording as opposed to live in the room. I'm finding that I need to back down on the delay send to my livestream mix as compared to what can be sent into the live room mix.

This is definately true. Although for me I do the broadcast mix in a fairly soundproofed studio. There is still some bleed from the main room just because of proximity.

I think the compression from youtube makes the delay and reverb tails much worse than they were "live".
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »

This is definately true. Although for me I do the broadcast mix in a fairly soundproofed studio. There is still some bleed from the main room just because of proximity.

I think the compression from youtube makes the delay and reverb tails much worse than they were "live".

^^this. i did a LOT of live webcasting from 2014-2018 and learned a LOT about what the typical webcast compression does to what you put into it.  And yeah, a lot of it sounds similar to the old FM radio compression, which for those who are too young to remember was a pretty bad thing.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »

And yeah, a lot of it sounds similar to the old FM radio compression, which for those who are too young to remember was a pretty bad thing.

That I remember from my radio broadcasting days back in the mid to late 70s! The original Orban Optimod was the supposed king of audio processors back then. If I remember correctly, it was the first multiband compressor for broadcasting. Most stations ran it way too hot, though, and you could hear pumping all over the place. The station where I worked was small and couldn't afford the big stuff like that. We just had a pair of linked Gates limiters for stereo on our FM transmitter. Or at least they were supposed to be linked. A little RCA plug jumper cable went between them so they shared each other's gain ride signal. The largest signal won and both channels were compressed the same. That was to preserve stereo imaging. But for some reason our chief engineer liked to remove the jumper and let each side (left and right) ride its own gain. I argued with him that could degrade what little stereo separation there was in multiplexed FM stereo transmissions, but being the young guy I lost. He wanted left and right at "maximum loud" each.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:06:21 AM by Bill Meeks »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.