ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW LA400 Used sub or plans for something similar or maybe a labsub  (Read 8000 times)

Rolando Saenz

I was impressed by the specs of the EAW  LA400
i am lookinf for a used one  but i cant find one,
is there something similar to it that you i can build ?

the thing i do not like about the Labsub is the weight and the size
i wish there are neodymium woofers for it

what you guys can recommend me to get similar specs to the LA400 sub
it can be a used box or build plans

im just tired of not to have enough bass in my lounge rig

i saw a preowned jbl MP255s sub for 400
can i add a plate amp on the back to make it an "amplified sub" or is just beter to leave it alone
and have your amp rack next to it
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:10:52 PM by Rolando Saenz »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: EAW LA400 Used sub or plans for something similar or maybe a labsub
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »

I was impressed by the specs of the EAW  LA400
i am lookinf for a used one  but i cant find one,
is there something similar to it that you i can build ?

can i add a plate amp on the back to make it an "amplified sub" or is just beter to leave it alone
and have your amp rack next to it
Rog Mogale has some similar box designs:
https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=1850horn

If you want lighter and smaller size there are many other designs, such as:
http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=03&y=11&entry=entry110306-224208
His Tham and Roar designs cover a wide range of sizes, shapes and output.

My Keystone sub, or Josh Ricci's Othorn are also popular.

I prefer amps in racks, but Speakerpower makes some nice plate amps if you decide to package the amp in the cabinet.

Art

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 02:27:22 PM »

To say the LA400 is long in the tooth is a but of an understatement at this point, you'd be better off spending your money on something more modern and efficient. Additionally, those subs worked best in multiples, I seem to remember EAW recommending use in groups of 4 for best results.

You won't get a LABsub to be any lighter with a different driver, all that weight is from the sheer amount of plywood involved in its construction.

What does your current rig consist of and what size space are you playing in? There are plenty of modern cabinets out there that would match or exceed the LA400 in performance and efficiency, both in power consumption and number of cabinets.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »

There are plenty of modern cabinets out there that would match or exceed the LA400 in performance and efficiency, both in power consumption and number of cabinets.
Due to advances in driver technology, there are plenty of cabinets that can match or exceed the output performance of the LA400, using many times the 500 watts it's rated for, but you won't find any more efficient in it's size for the frequency range it covers- 107dB one watt one meter +/- 3dB from 45-250 Hz.
That said, it's response of -10 dB at 40 Hz would be considered rather "light" for much of the music produced this century.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

Rog Mogale has some similar box designs:
https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=1850horn

If you want lighter and smaller size there are many other designs, such as:
http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=03&y=11&entry=entry110306-224208
His Tham and Roar designs cover a wide range of sizes, shapes and output.

My Keystone sub, or Josh Ricci's Othorn are also popular.

I prefer amps in racks, but Speakerpower makes some nice plate amps if you decide to package the amp in the cabinet.

Art

Art,
thanks for the info ,the 1850 will go to 50hz, i want at least 30hz as i play a lot of "regeton" ( urban latin music ) with all those low synths and drum machines
indeed  i was looking at the Tham 15" plans
i saw an RCF 705 15" sub but at 999  it is not an option for me
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:39:53 PM by Rolando Saenz »

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »

To say the LA400 is long in the tooth is a but of an understatement at this point, you'd be better off spending your money on something more modern and efficient. Additionally, those subs worked best in multiples, I seem to remember EAW recommending use in groups of 4 for best results.

You won't get a LABsub to be any lighter with a different driver, all that weight is from the sheer amount of plywood involved in its construction.

What does your current rig consist of and what size space are you playing in? There are plenty of modern cabinets out there that would match or exceed the LA400 in performance and efficiency, both in power consumption and number of cabinets.

Taylor,
i need just one for now to augment the B52 matrix1000 sub i have
i swapped the original tops that thing came with 2 jbl MR925 cabs , i know... those are olddddd, but you can get em cheap, i got 4 of those for 400
just one cab had a broken lamp in the crossover and i said broke not burned out, i guess somebody dropped the cabinet so hard that the filament broke
the 925's are way more sensitive than the original b52's tops, the system sound much louder with the 925's

Anyway, i need more oohmp on the low department as the single 15" bass reflex i think ?? is rated at 400watts
so thats why i was thinking of the RCF 705 to putted on the side of it

I play all from 80's hair metal to country to hip hop to urban ( reggeton ) 2 nites a week on a 200 people small bar
the volume for the tops is ok for the place, sometimes they told me to lower a bit
but the bass is the one i need to double or triple at least so i can draw a smile on my face :D

i have 2 LX18's b52 along with an 8space rack with a driverack PA and 2 crown XLS 2500  that i barely use because i need a helping hand, my back is not as it used to be, im on my 50's
that's why i got the matrix1000 for easy deploying
everything i got second hand
so doesn't matter if it is old as long it sounds good
and yes, the LX18's are at the bottom of the pack efficiency wise but i got the pair for 200
so i couldn't resist :(

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:48:30 PM by Rolando Saenz »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »

Art,
thanks for the info ,the 1850 will go to 50hz, i want at least 30hz as i play a lot of "regeton" ( urban latin music ) with all those low synths and drum machines
indeed  i was looking at the Tham 15" plans
i saw an RCF 705 15" sub but at 999  it is not an option for me
Tham 15" is a nice box, but not close to 30Hz response.
If you now want "at least" 30 Hz, rather than the -3dB at 45 Hz specification that impressed you in the OP, look at Josh Ricci's Othhorn. If solid 35Hz will do, the Keystone will cost less and is an easier build.
Low frequency extension is not cheap or small if you want it loud and clean.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »

Tham 15" is a nice box, but not close to 30Hz response.
If you now want "at least" 30 Hz, rather than the -3dB at 45 Hz specification that impressed you in the OP, look at Josh Ricci's Othhorn. If solid 35Hz will do, the Keystone will cost less and is an easier build.
Low frequency extension is not cheap or small if you want it loud and clean.

Art,
between the tham 15" and the keystone, what would be "easier"  to build ?
i am not a wood master but have a friend who do kitchen cabinets for homes, so at least he can cut some wood :D

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 01:32:54 PM »

Art,
between the tham 15" and the keystone, what would be "easier"  to build ?
Rolando,

The Tham 15" is smaller, so "easier" to build than the larger Keystone. The Tham 15" MKII has more parts and reflectors to reduce the 180 Hz response dip, and would be  more difficult to build.
The Tham 15" is about -6dB at 40 Hz, and will unload the cone if boosted below, so does not cut your new "at least" 30 Hz criteria.

You have the classic Hoffman's Iron Law choice: Low, Loud or Small- pick two.
Add enough $$ and watts and you can cheat that a bit, but the driver cost alone might be above your budget.

Read up the various posts in DIY.

Art

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »

Rolando,

The Tham 15" is smaller, so "easier" to build than the larger Keystone. The Tham 15" MKII has more parts and reflectors to reduce the 180 Hz response dip, and would be  more difficult to build.
The Tham 15" is about -6dB at 40 Hz, and will unload the cone if boosted below, so does not cut your new "at least" 30 Hz criteria.

You have the classic Hoffman's Iron Law choice: Low, Loud or Small- pick two.
Add enough $$ and watts and you can cheat that a bit, but the driver cost alone might be above your budget.

Read up the various posts in DIY.

Art

Art,
i do not mind to make a Tham 18, maybe i can get a second hand neo driver for it
if not, i will need to dig in to the piggybank :D

on a perfect world 4 labsubs with powersoft K series amps will do...... errrr am i daydreaming ?

I love danley specs, but at 3k a pop they are way out of my league
looks like i will compromise the 30hz and set the bar a little bit lower
so 40Hz will do looks like, the lower the box will go , the bigger it is as you said on the Hoffman iron law

I think i saw somebody who says that with 1/2 inch plywood and the correct bracing he can achieve same results as with 5/8 inch wood
if thats the case, i will like to try the tham designs with 1/2 inch instead of 5/8 for weight savings , that and a neo driver
weight is my main concern
i am open to build/co-build smaller boxes and stack em, instead of having a giant sub   and a humongous  amp

I like scalable lego like systems
if something fails, you finish the night

When you rely on just one big amp and one big sub, if either one get fried, your gig goes caput

All the best
Rolando.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:00:04 PM by Rolando Saenz »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.