ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using an iPad with a USB to DMX adapter  (Read 3199 times)

Caycerfrederick

Using an iPad with a USB to DMX adapter
« on: January 13, 2020, 06:29:37 PM »

I play in a small band that has consistent gigs. We have around 12 par led cans and 4 mini moving heads. I have an iPad Air 2. I recently saw an adapter on a website that is USB on one side and DMX out on the other. Before I buy it, I was curious if anyone has used something like this? I have a powered USB adapter out of my lightning port. I want to control some basic scenes using software. I have heard of Luminaire, but have never used it. I have used artnet devices and wireless routers in the past with an unlimited budget, but don’t have that luxury now. Can you tell me if it will work before I buy the adapter? I apologize if it’s already been discussed. I didn’t read through all the topics.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Using an iPad with a USB to DMX adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »

I play in a small band that has consistent gigs. We have around 12 par led cans and 4 mini moving heads. I have an iPad Air 2. I recently saw an adapter on a website that is USB on one side and DMX out on the other. Before I buy it, I was curious if anyone has used something like this? I have a powered USB adapter out of my lightning port. I want to control some basic scenes using software. I have heard of Luminaire, but have never used it. I have used artnet devices and wireless routers in the past with an unlimited budget, but don’t have that luxury now. Can you tell me if it will work before I buy the adapter? I apologize if it’s already been discussed. I didn’t read through all the topics.

You need to change your display name to your real name (per the stated forum rules) before anyone will give you the answers you seek, grasshopper.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »

You need to change your display name to your real name (per the stated forum rules) before anyone will give you the answers you seek, grasshopper.

I think he's "last name, first".  No rule against it that I'm aware of.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:56:47 PM »

No, Luminair does not support connecting to USB to DMX adaptors.  Per their support site:

Will Luminair work with USB to DMX interfaces?

Created On: October 08, 2019 15:19
Luminair is not directly compatible with USB to DMX interfaces, as it isn't possible to communicate with these devices due to lack of drivers on iOS.

----

The least expensive unit I've found that works is the Chauvet DMX-AN2.  It's about $170 new.  Can be powered via POE which is awesome.

The only sucky thing is you cannot in any way shape or form configure the stupid unit from an iOS device.  It's not compatible with Safari.  It took me a YEAR of swearing at it to finally figure out that you had to use Firefox on the computer in order to get into the configuration and make it work.  Once I did that, it works like a champ.
Brian Jojade

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »

Luminair is about $100
A DMK king is $130 or so.
A wifi router can be cheap .
That's all you need.  Not too big a budget required.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.