ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint for speakers for outdoor install  (Read 1831 times)

duane massey

Paint for speakers for outdoor install
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »

Question for those of you who have experience building speakers: I am building a number of large cabinets for a permanent installation, and need some suggestions on paint that will survive. Needs to be a product that can be color-matched, and would prefer something with texture. Normally roll on coatings (Duratex), and would prefer to roll these as well. Thanks in advance.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Paint for speakers for outdoor install
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 06:11:25 PM »

Question for those of you who have experience building speakers: I am building a number of large cabinets for a permanent installation, and need some suggestions on paint that will survive. Needs to be a product that can be color-matched, and would prefer something with texture. Normally roll on coatings (Duratex), and would prefer to roll these as well. Thanks in advance.

Typically speakers designed for outdoor use are coated in fiberglass, or not made of wood at all. A few manufactures have started building speakers out of polycarbonate sheets.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rick Powell

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »

Will these be directly exposed to the elements? If they are covered by a roof, side walls, etc. in a way that there is no sunshine, rain or sleet having a chance of hitting them, Duratex might be good enough. However, for greater chance of exposure, you'd want to fully weatherproof them, which would involve more than just the outside coating.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »

I know a few people who had great results with oil-based paint.  Once that is dried (2 or 3 coats???), they followed up with a coat of epoxy resin paint - same kind of paint that is used on garage floors.  I'm not sure if this would be cheaper/better than something like Duraflex.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »

I use a textured deck paint from Behr Premium called Deck Over that comes in both a textured and untextured variety. I use it on my stage decks and it works great. A buddy paints his boxes with the untextured stuff and leaves 2 tops and 2 subs outside 1/2 the year at a club and so far has no damage.

He also uses Scotch Guard waterproof spray on the cones, and uses a multi-level grill consisting of steel mesh, foam and grill cloth to keep the elements and critters at bay.

Fiberglassing the boxes is also another way I have seen stuff coated for outdoor use. Maryland Sound used to hang wood boxes at Pier Six that we’re fiberglassed and they lasted years.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:15:18 AM »

I use a textured deck paint from Behr Premium called Deck Over that comes in both a textured and untextured variety. I use it on my stage decks and it works great. A buddy paints his boxes with the untextured stuff and leaves 2 tops and 2 subs outside 1/2 the year at a club and so far has no damage.

He also uses Scotch Guard waterproof spray on the cones, and uses a multi-level grill consisting of steel mesh, foam and grill cloth to keep the elements and critters at bay.

Fiberglassing the boxes is also another way I have seen stuff coated for outdoor use. Maryland Sound used to hang wood boxes at Pier Six that we’re fiberglassed and they lasted years.
Thanks, Craig, the Behr paint sounds like it might work. Not really concerned about the components, as the client is furnishing his own and is aware of the risks. All I am doing is building the cabinets, loading his components, and shipping them to the location. I will be using aluminum perforated grills, so not real concerned about them either.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »

Craig, thank you for the suggestion. I picked up a gallon to experiment with and it seems to be a GREAT solution! Covers better than Duatex and is much, MUCH easier to work with than bedliner or epoxy-based paint. I'm using the textured version and it covers things I would normally have to fill and sand.
I'll post a follow-up when I paint some of the cabinets. Thanks again!
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »

I use a textured deck paint from Behr Premium called Deck Over that comes in both a textured and untextured variety. I use it on my stage decks and it works great.

A buddy paints his boxes with the untextured stuff and leaves 2 tops and 2 subs outside 1/2 the year at a club and so far has no damage.

so how come ??
speakers are plywood mostly
This is what the actual web site says

DO NOT APPLY on these surfaces:

Drivable surfaces (such as garages and driveways)
Plywood or compressed wood
Any architectural plastics (such as vinyl siding or conduits)
Wood surfaces that are in direct contact with the ground or exposed to excessive ground moisture.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »

so how come ??

Wood surfaces that are in direct contact with the ground or exposed to excessive ground moisture.

I just looked at a can. While it does say don’t use on drivable surfaces, it does not say don’t use on plywood. In fact, it does say it’s perfect for woods and “composite” surfaces, but does not say what types of composites it is alluding to.

That said, my stage decks with plywood tops get used in all types of weather including rain and snow and I have not had a problem with the textured stuff.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:07 AM »

so how come ??

I called Behr to verify my application, specifically plywood. They told me that it is not plywood per se that is an issue, it is any surface that would flex repeatedly. Speaker cabinets (as well as vertical surfaces) are fine, and will have no problems.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:07 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.