ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabled iPad  (Read 1575 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Disabled iPad
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 05:28:16 pm »

I just got an iPhone in for a user so I thought I'd try it's USB cable as I've had problems in the past mounting Android phones that were fixed with another cable. I wanted to try that but I didn't have another Apple cable until now.

Well, it appears to be working.

It works. Cable problem. I also drained the battery over the weekend so I'm not ruling that out either.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 06:07:56 pm »

Ok, so it sounds like you have a hardware problem.

I'm still looking to hear from those who are saying that a locked iPad WITHOUT a hardware problem cannot be restored back to new.
I have not been able to find information that supports that statement.

Hi Andrew,I started with your link a couple months ago. The link you provided works two things are in place.
1) The device is registered to your APPLEID/iCloud ID
2) You have access to those id's. 
Otherwise, the only safe option is a trip to Apple with ownership documents, and enough ID to convince Apple to look up your security questions and the like.

Your link also had a link to questions about the process.  I've got 2 links from Apple Questions from that additional link.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

https://discussions.apple.com/article/HT204306
——————

I also did a DuckDuckGo search "defeat iCloud lock"
These were among the top hits.  The article talks about finding whether the IMEI has been reported stolen, and two sites that can reportedly remove ihe iCloud activation lock.  Both are non-USA sites, where enough information is sent to endanger one from identity theft.  PayPal not accepted; special permission to use your (at least, mine) credit card (international money laundering laws, and anti-theft rules), and Gift cards can't be used outside USA borders. (international money laundering laws)    In the next breath they warn about sites that are just phishing sites, and to beware.  Ask me how I figured the gift-card angle out. 

https://www.mactip.net/bypass-icloud-activation-lock-in-iphone-ipad/
https://www.fonepaw.com/solution/bypass-icloud-activation-lock.html

The bottom line is that one can do a factory reset on an iDevice PROVIDING the device is not associated/owned by a given APPLEID.  If it is still associated, one will face the activation lock.

If you want to try this for yourself, I'll send the locked iPad I have, so you can do the "probe and response" dance.   Send me a PM and I'll send you the paperweight.

Been there, done that.  YMMV.
frank
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:55:23 pm by frank kayser »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 11:51:24 am »

Thanks, Frank. No, I don't need to try unlocking your iPad; I certainly didn't mean to imply I knew of a way.
It simply was unclear to me about this additional iCloud lock.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:00 pm »

Thanks, Frank. No, I don't need to try unlocking your iPad; I certainly didn't mean to imply I knew of a way.
It simply was unclear to me about this additional iCloud lock.

Hi Andrew,
I'm sorry if I didn't articulate the iCloud lock properly in my previous posts.  What I think I have made clear, rarely is as clear as I think it is.
I did not mean to be rude in offering you the iPad to unlock, but sometimes the "hands on" drives the point home. After reading my post, it did seem a bit snarky.  My apologies. 
It stems from the frustration of the waste of all the iDevices that folks have lost, and Apple will not let the original owner (or the APPLEID the iDevice is associated with) or a "finder" that has done everything possible to do the right thing in attempting to get back to the original owner.

As much as Apple is a PITA, in a way, I do have to respect Apple taking such a hard line to protect both the device and the data.  I guess in the grand scheme of things, a bricked device here and there is the price we pay for anti-theft and privacy.

frank

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 11:58:08 pm »

It stems from the frustration of the waste of all the iDevices that folks have lost, and Apple will not let the original owner (or the APPLEID the iDevice is associated with) or a "finder" that has done everything possible to do the right thing in attempting to get back to the original owner.

This I find frustrating as well.  I have a store and we sell a lot of Apple products.  We regularly get people in that have found devices and bring them to us, hoping that we can help find the owner.

Sadly, there's nothing that we can do, and Apple will not divulge the owner's info, nor will they even help contact the customer on the finder's behalf.  Unless the original owner knows how to use the Find my iPhone app to put a contact message on the device, it's now a useless piece of paperweight.

It would be nice if at least they would add a 'contact owner' button on a device that's locked so that the owner could potentially be contacted vs just being abandoned.
Brian Jojade

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 08:21:33 am »

It would be nice if at least they would add a 'contact owner' button on a device that's locked so that the owner could potentially be contacted vs just being abandoned.
"Abandoned" means they need to buy more fruit....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 11:16:31 am »

I just got this in my mail and I have no idea what it means

Dear ***,

The following Apple Push Notification Service certificate, created for AppleID ipad@********.** will expire on February 14, 2020. Revoking or allowing this certificate to expire will require existing devices to be re-enrolled with a new push certificate.

Mobile Device Management - null

Please contact your vendor to generate a new request (a signed CSR), then visit https://identity.apple.com/pushcert to renew your Apple Push Notification Service certificate.

Thank You,

Apple Push Notification Service

Riley Casey

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 11:17:14 am »

Apple is in the middle yet again of taking heat from the Feds for refusing to 'do what it takes' to unlock a phone used by a jihadi Saudi Air Force officer in Florida. Once again their response is that they simply don't want there to be a way to unlock their products because if they create a backdoor for the "good guys" today the bad guys will soon have the same access. The Feds apparently paid some security firm / hackers to unlock the phone of a jihadi a few years ago and Apple apparently promptly figured out what those weaknesses were and patched them up. All in all I'm good with a device that is explicitly advertised and sold as a repository for and gateway to critical personal information being so secure it's a PITA occasionally.  Controlling sound boards for weekend rock bands playing to a bar full of drunks was probably not one of their core design goals.

This I find frustrating as well.  I have a store and we sell a lot of Apple products.  We regularly get people in that have found devices and bring them to us, hoping that we can help find the owner.

Sadly, there's nothing that we can do, and Apple will not divulge the owner's info, nor will they even help contact the customer on the finder's behalf.  Unless the original owner knows how to use the Find my iPhone app to put a contact message on the device, it's now a useless piece of paperweight.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 05:37:45 pm »

Apple is in the middle yet again of taking heat from the Feds for refusing to 'do what it takes' to unlock a phone used by a jihadi Saudi Air Force officer in Florida. Once again their response is that they simply don't want there to be a way to unlock their products because if they create a backdoor for the "good guys" today the bad guys will soon have the same access. The Feds apparently paid some security firm / hackers to unlock the phone of a jihadi a few years ago and Apple apparently promptly figured out what those weaknesses were and patched them up. All in all I'm good with a device that is explicitly advertised and sold as a repository for and gateway to critical personal information being so secure it's a PITA occasionally.  Controlling sound boards for weekend rock bands playing to a bar full of drunks was probably not one of their core design goals.

I agree. I moved to Apple to protect my information if I loose my phone.

As a side note, the police can't legally force me to give them my unlock code, but they can force me to use my finger or face id if activated. Don't know why it's like that or if it's the same in other parts of the world.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 07:17:13 pm »

As a side note, the police can't legally force me to give them my unlock code, but they can force me to use my finger or face id if activated. Don't know why it's like that or if it's the same in other parts of the world.

A couple quick tricks for that.  If you squeeze the phone, pressing the side button and one of the volume button for a few seconds, you'll get the emergency/shutdown screen.  At this point, FaceID is disabled and a passcode is required.

If you didn't think to do that before handing over the device, you can say 'hey Siri, who's phone is this?" which will show the active contact card and, as a side benefit, disable Face ID as well.

Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 07:17:13 pm ยป

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.