ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Implementing Turbosound TFM Monitor Settings in My PSoft M50q Amps  (Read 2474 times)

John Schalk

I am trying to apply Turbosound's recommended DSP settings for the TFM122M wedges using the Output EQ parameters of my Powersoft M50q DSP+ETH amps and I've run into a couple of issues.  My first problem is with the Low & High shelving Eq settings.  Turbosound lists a slope/BW setting for the Low shelving filter of 3.7, but my amp will only go up to 1.25.  Implementing the 5 dB cut using a slope of only 1.25 results in a pretty big cut (see screen shot.)  I have the same issue to a lessor degree with the High Shelf setting.  Is there any way I can model the recommended setting and then try to get close to it with the options that my amp has?  Any other suggestions?

My second issue is with understanding the PEQ recommendations.  There are two sets of Q & BW values in the spreadsheet (see screen shot) for each of the five recommended PEQ filters and I am not sure which one to choose.  My amps' DSP has Q, not BW, for the peaking filters.  Any idea why there are two values and which one I should use?

FWIW I am running the wedges passive and I also have a pair of the TFM152Ms.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

Don't you want High PASS and low PASS filter for a crossover?  Not shelving?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Where is there a mention of crossover?

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

I am trying to apply Turbosound's recommended DSP settings for the TFM122M wedges using the Output EQ parameters of my Powersoft M50q DSP+ETH amps and I've run into a couple of issues.  My first problem is with the Low & High shelving Eq settings.  Turbosound lists a slope/BW setting for the Low shelving filter of 3.7, but my amp will only go up to 1.25.  Implementing the 5 dB cut using a slope of only 1.25 results in a pretty big cut (see screen shot.)  I have the same issue to a lessor degree with the High Shelf setting.  Is there any way I can model the recommended setting and then try to get close to it with the options that my amp has?  Any other suggestions?

I think some explanation of what they mean by those labels. The low shelf number of 3.7, is that slope or bandwidth? It seems to say "OCT" above it, does that mean 3.7 octave BW? Same issue with the hi shelf. On the parametrics, why are there 2 values for Q and for BW?

Is there more info on that sheet outside of the small area you posted?

Mac

John Schalk

Is there more info on that sheet outside of the small area you posted?

Mac

I tried to attach the settings to this post, but I guess we can only upload images so I hunted up the link for the original file.  The link below takes you to the Downloads page for the TFM122M.  The full preset spreadsheet is there.  I can also make some more screen grabs if folks can't find or open the Excel file.

https://www.turbosound.com/Categories/Turbosound/Loudspeaker-Systems/Touring/TFM122M/p/P0BL9/Downloads#googtrans(en|en)

John Schalk

I am running the wedges passive Dave.  The screen grab I posted is after the High Pass and Limiter columns.  The first two "Eq" columns are each shelving filters, followed by five PEQ settings.  I added a link in my other post to the file from Turbosound.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

I tried to attach the settings to this post, but I guess we can only upload images so I hunted up the link for the original file.  The link below takes you to the Downloads page for the TFM122M.  The full preset spreadsheet is there.  I can also make some more screen grabs if folks can't find or open the Excel file.

https://www.turbosound.com/Categories/Turbosound/Loudspeaker-Systems/Touring/TFM122M/p/P0BL9/Downloads#googtrans(en|en)

Ok, that's clear as mud. I'd call TurboSound technical support. Do these speakers really need 5 bands of PEQ even before you add 4 bands of PEQ for a "vocal overlay"?

Mac

John Schalk

Ok, that's clear as mud. I'd call TurboSound technical support. Do these speakers really need 5 bands of PEQ even before you add 4 bands of PEQ for a "vocal overlay"?

Mac
Out of the box I think that these wedges sound a bit dull.  I was going down the path of learning REW and trying to roll my own settings when I found the spreadsheet of TurboSound's recommendations.  I agree that two shelving filters plus 5 parametric filters before adding the vocal overlay is a lot.  It's way more Eq than I normally use, but I thought I'd program their recommendations into my amp and see if I liked how they sound before trying to make my own.  I'll try contacting TurboSound tech support to see if they can clear up the PEQ settings for me.

Today wasn't a total waste, I did get both of my K2s updated to the latest firmware :)

John Schalk

Here is an update in case anyone else finds this thread.  I opened a support call with MusicTribe and exchanged a number of emails with them.  I never got satisfactory answers to either of my questions, primarily because I never got past their level 1 support staff.  I think the only people who could answer my questions would be Turbosound engineers and, when I suggested escalating the case to them, the response that I received is that the settings are likely for Lab amps and Lake processors and they don't support other DSPs.  I told them to close the case.

I'm going to proceed with rolling my own Eq settings using the values in the spreadsheet as a guide.  Also, I tried to implement the 3.7 BW value for their Low Shelf Eq recommendation in the DSP of my K2, which is more powerful than what's in an M50q, but without success.  It has the same 1.25 BW upper limit.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.