ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Digital Apollo" by David Mindell  (Read 446 times)

Frank Koenig

"Digital Apollo" by David Mindell
« on: January 09, 2020, 07:41:59 pm »

Mindell, who is an MIT engineering professor and historian, follows the US manned (archaic term) space program from inception through the last moon landing with an emphasis on human-machine interaction. And while asking many broader questions, such as the meaning of "automation", he focuses on the digital navigation and flight-control computer onboard the Apollo missions. He doesn't hold back on technical detail, which is wonderful, and steers clear of the many clichés. The book came out in 2008 when many of the original people were still alive and there are lots of quotations from interviews at the time of writing as well as from the historical record.

I loved this book and believe any techie with an interest in human-computer interaction (HCI), user interfaces, system integration, or the space program through Apollo needs to read it. It was recommended to me by a long-time nuclear power engineer.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: "Digital Apollo" by David Mindell
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:29:50 pm »

Mindell, who is an MIT engineering professor and historian, follows the US manned (archaic term) space program from inception through the last moon landing with an emphasis on human-machine interaction. And while asking many broader questions, such as the meaning of "automation", he focuses on the digital navigation and flight-control computer onboard the Apollo missions. He doesn't hold back on technical detail, which is wonderful, and steers clear of the many clichés. The book came out in 2008 when many of the original people were still alive and there are lots of quotations from interviews at the time of writing as well as from the historical record.

I loved this book and believe any techie with an interest in human-computer interaction (HCI), user interfaces, system integration, or the space program through Apollo needs to read it. It was recommended to me by a long-time nuclear power engineer.

--Frank
Thanks Frank.
i just ordered it........
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: "Digital Apollo" by David Mindell
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:29:50 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.