ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend some under-500 dollar home studio monitors.  (Read 4767 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Recommend some under-500 dollar home studio monitors.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »

Another +1 for the K702s. Great way to check the mixes. Don't bother with a more expensive audio interface; the Scarlett is fine for what you're doing. I'm using a Scarlett 2i2 currently until my Eleven Rack drivers are updated and sounds great.

What software are you using?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:30 PM »

Room acoustics are going to have a huge impact - esp if you are doing this in a small room in your house. Since properly treating the room to tame bass resonances and kill early reflections at the mix position would easily eat up your budget, I'd recommend mixing on some good headphones. The AKG 702's are about $350 and commonly recommended among studio engineers.

FWIW, my mixing room is extensively treated and my monitors are over $5k a pop, not to mention the sub, but I still use the AKG 702's when I really want to carefully examine a mix. If I only had $500 to spend, the 702's are what I'd do, no question. Maybe spend the balance on something like the Apogee Groove USB headphone amp. Add a laptop, some software and you are ready to mix.

I agree with the headphones suggestion in place of, or in addition to, studio monitors. However, I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD650s. They have a slightly smoother frequency response versus the K702 or the DT880s. All are very good headphones though.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »

I will be using cans for sure. I have some Shure SRM440's right now, but I'll buy something nicer.

Since these are live performances and I'm mixing for peoples ipads or earbuds I think a small set of monitors with headphone backup is all I need. I know my room won't be perfect. Then again, I'm not mastering a movie soundtrack. Just basic live music to put out on a crappy cable TV show.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be looking into these and hopefully demoing some of them at the local Banjo Center.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Neale Watson

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:35 PM »

JBL 308P MRKII

Or the 305P with a sub

The 5" JBL 305P MkII  are surprisingly good on their own ($US300 a pair).

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 11:52:07 PM »

Another +1 for the K702s. Great way to check the mixes. Don't bother with a more expensive audio interface; the Scarlett is fine for what you're doing. I'm using a Scarlett 2i2 currently until my Eleven Rack drivers are updated and sounds great.

What software are you using?

I use Reaper. Very happy with it. I struggled with ProTools after a hard drive died and made the switch. The price is nice too!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 12:09:52 AM »

I use Reaper. Very happy with it. I struggled with ProTools after a hard drive died and made the switch. The price is nice too!

Another long term Reaper user here. Made the jump back in 2011 and never looked back. It's my favorite DAW hands down.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »

I have a set of Event Tuned Reference 6's that have held up well over the years.

A local broadcast truck has a pair of these and I'm a big fan. There's a pair on eBay right now for $325 shipped. I've personally owned JBL LSR305s and Yamaha HS5s for desktop use. I liked the Yamahas better but they definitely needed a sub. The JBLs were passable without a sub but to me they sounded more like a "cheap speaker." I've since sold them all, but if I were doing it again, I'd probably look for a nicer, used set like the Events or some little Genelecs. I'd also be tempted to try the Behringer B2030A. An obvious knock-off of older gen Genelcs. I've not heard the powered versions but the college radio station had some of the unpowered versions and I was very impressed with them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:03:07 PM by Steven Eudaly »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »

Grado headphones to mix, any of the recommended speakers to make sure you don't have too much low end (which is easy to do on phones, at least for me).

Branson Sagear

• http://www.chicagorecording.com
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 08:33:38 PM »

Adam T5V are absolutely ridiculous for this price range.  To me, they’re in a different universe from anything else in that price range.

They’re inexpensive and impressive enough that I bought a pair for my desk.  They’re on Isoacoustics stands, and I couldn’t be happier!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 12:50:09 AM »

Grado headphones to mix, any of the recommended speakers to make sure you don't have too much low end (which is easy to do on phones, at least for me).

This is my first choice actually. I really don't know much about headphones because I rarely actually use them. Even live. But the Grado name consistently keeps coming up year after year with top marks.

I have had my Shure SRH440's for a few years and have barely used them. Mostly checking IEM packs or troubleshooting. I never use them for mixing really.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 12:50:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.