ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Combined recent topics - 'old' stuff (mics)  (Read 2746 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Combined recent topics - 'old' stuff (mics)
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »

I figured I would combine these 2 topics I started as they are very much related from a mic stand point.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172876.0.html

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172876.0.html

The 55SH arrived today so I set it up along with the 545 I just got and a modern SM57 for a bit of a comparison. I simply sang into each one so no instruments involved.

The Unidyne III 545 (made in the USA/4 pin Amphenol) is VERY different sounding to the 57 which surprised me based on articles I have read and the fact the 545 is considered to be the 57 predecessor. It has a little less low end than the 57 but more pronounced mids - it really cut through and had a nice clarity to it with a smoother/warmer high end - at least on my voice.  The 57 sounded somewhat 'darker' than the 545 without doubt. I expected the 545 to need more gain than the 57 but it was about the same  - if anything about 2-3 db more.

The 55 - well, ok I agree it ain't no KSM8 BUT its not that bad either (Don't hate!). In fact when compared to the other 2, it sounded kinda in between the 2 - less definition and clarity than the 545 but lacking the low end of the 57.
It did have a rather 'boxy' sound to it but I'm hoping that won't sound as bad on a female voice as it would on a male voice. The singer is female at the show on the 17th where the retro look is required. I was able to EQ it out a little with my voice pretty easily so I'm hoping the sound guy will take the time to do the same..

For now I think the modern 55 will do the job OK on the 17th but I will revisit it afterwards and think about some kind of mod going forward perhaps ......

Also, I purchased Art's vintage 55's ( in fact I couldn't help myself and I got them all ......muuuuahahahaha) and will be checking them out against the modern 55 too - which I am looking forward to. He has an empty cage 55 that will give me all kinds of room to play without having to pull the guts out of a working unit.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Combined recent topics - 'old' stuff (mics)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »

You didn't also order a Super 55 for comparison purposes?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 05:52:36 PM »

The 545 was out at least five years before the 57 ever came to market and is still a current Shure product. The 545 main differences are the mic element has a copper voice wire coil and the 57 has an aluminum wire voice. The 545 is also dual impedance using a different output transformer, the selector is on the XLR connector.

You may want to check your 545 to see what it is set for, remove the male XLR connector and there is a small pin block on pin three of the XLR the connections on the block is labeled H and L for high and low impedance.

The early production Shure 58's and 57's had the dual impedance selection, I still have a couple dual impedance 58's.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »

The 545 was out at least five years before the 57 ever came to market and is still a current Shure product. The 545 main differences are the mic element has a copper voice wire coil and the 57 has an aluminum wire voice. The 545 is also dual impedance using a different output transformer, the selector is on the XLR connector.

You may want to check your 545 to see what it is set for, remove the male XLR connector and there is a small pin block on pin three of the XLR the connections on the block is labeled H and L for high and low impedance.

The early production Shure 58's and 57's had the dual impedance selection, I still have a couple dual impedance 58's.

I realize the 545 is still in production but I got an older one because it was the first mic I ever owned and again I should have kept mine! Mine had the imp switch - this one does not.
I am assuming that I have the 545 on Low impedance because it is so close to the 57 in level. If it were set to Hi, I think it would have been a LOT louder. I am using it with an XLR wired to the Amphenol in Lo-Z configuration. I have not opened it up to check behind the XLRM connector though.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »

You mentioned the AMP four pin connector in your first post and I completely over looked that !! The impedance selection on that version is done at the AMP connector it self, pin 4 is positive and 3 is negative, 1 is ground, wire the XLR end of the cable accordingly.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »

You mentioned the AMP four pin connector in your first post and I completely over looked that !! The impedance selection on that version is done at the AMP connector it self, pin 4 is positive and 3 is negative, 1 is ground, wire the XLR end of the cable accordingly.

Right - that is what I did. I switched it from Hi-z to Lo-z by doing just that. pins 1 and 2 are hi-z and 3 and 4 are lo-z.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »

Right - that is what I did. I switched it from Hi-z to Lo-z by doing just that. pins 1 and 2 are hi-z and 3 and 4 are lo-z.

Your set to rock with the 545!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »

You didn't also order a Super 55 for comparison purposes?

The reason I chose this one was because it came up used at a great price and my intention was to mod it or add a hidden mic as discussed in the other thread.
If  super had come up well priced first I probably would have got it instead.  Be interesting to hear the difference between the two though.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »

The 545 was out at least five years before the 57 ever came to market and is still a current Shure product. The 545 main differences are the mic element has a copper voice wire coil and the 57 has an aluminum wire voice.
Mike,

Not to start an argument, as there was plenty already done about the subject. I'm of the opinion that John Eppstein is correct, as he repaired voice coil leads on lots of these, and other vintage mics:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/sm57-mic-ing-an-amp-or-t19409623-s150.html

From what I gather from his posts, SM57 and SM58 used copper voice coils when originally released up until around 1980. The current models of those and 545s are now probably using copper clad aluminum voice coils.

One thing for Shure, they don't make 'em like they used to ;^).

Art

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »

Mike,

Not to start an argument, as there was plenty already done about the subject. I'm of the opinion that John Eppstein is correct, as he repaired voice coil leads on lots of these, and other vintage mics:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/sm57-mic-ing-an-amp-or-t19409623-s150.html

From what I gather from his posts, SM57 and SM58 used copper voice coils when originally released up until around 1980. The current models of those and 545s are now probably using copper clad aluminum voice coils.

One thing for Shure, they don't make 'em like they used to ;^).

Art

That was a good and informative read, thanks for the link.
The 545's I have are the plastic versions, both in XLR and AMP four pin.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.